Thought: For a game that prides itself on fashion, there are a LOT of weapons and armor that have horrible clipping

The reason why I almost always hide my weapons, and why I don't show backpieces either, the less the better in terms of clipping. 

Same goes for long skirt like leg armor, and oversized boots clipping in robes. Even some headgear clipping in the hair. Some combos are just ridiculous. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Oddly enough, one of anet's go-to reasons for the slow release of new armor skins has been clipping issues.  Clipping reduction was mentioned as a major reason for the outfit system as well. 

If what we have are the polished results, just imagine what a nightmare the modeling interface must be.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Dante.1508 said:

Also a ton of weapons and armors look really really bad for a game that prides itself on end game fashion wars.. subjective obviously

Sometimes it's about the roleplay, the look bad on purpose to fit in with specific styles and themes. 

Anet has made some questionable choices from time to time, but I'm sure they must had some feedback at least. Although the problem is that more often than not we don't get complete themes from the skins we do have available, which then ruins the whole thing. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

We need a few more simple clothing pieces that can be mixed with other equipment. The tattoo armor without the tattoos would have been good. 

Or the tattoo armor with decent clothes instead of those rugs it comes with... 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

On 7/8/2023 at 1:01 PM, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

I really couldn't care less about clipping, save for shoulders and bracers bleeding through wielded shields. Worrying about clipping is why games limit armor types to classes or categories, rather than embracing true end game fashion.

Yeah but clipping ruins the immersion for many of us, it's just another reminder that what your character is not perfect and exactly what you wanted. It does limit fashion options somewhat, but I think there's still a lot of armor skin combinations that don't cause clipping, enough for people who despise it to be satisfied at least. 

Also that's where the good old "less is better" comes in, because the less you wear the less clipping you're gonna get.

Edited by jason.1083

3 hours ago, jason.1083 said:

Yeah but clipping ruins the immersion for many of us, it's just another reminder that what your character is not perfect and exactly what you wanted. It does limit fashion options somewhat, but I think there's still a lot of armor skin combinations that don't cause clipping, enough for people who despise it to be satisfied at least. 

Also that's where the good old "less is better" comes in, because the less you wear the less clipping you're gonna get.

I have always wanted simpler armor with fewer projections or dangling doodads. 

I see that you are wearing pants, why do you also have a loincloth? 

My, your shoulder armor is spiky, do you impale your face whenever you raise your hands above your head?  

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Even for games that try a lot to prevent clipping still have clipping.  It's particularly easy to see it when you wear mixed pieces for whatever reason.  Not that we should excuse it, but I imagine it's hard to get the fit perfect across different types of equipment skins that weren't designed to fit each other.

• Like 1

Charzooka is one thing but...

I don't understand all the swords that scrap 6 inches into the ground when stowed on the tallest of Norns! 

You can't find a lower place on the weapon to post it to the hip of an avatar??

It's like they have one rigged model made back in 2012 and they've been copying and pasting  the same file for the last 11 years!

Worst of all...that was approved?

How low is your standard to call it "good enough from government work"!?

You'd all be fired if I was running the design  department!

• Confused 1

HAIR...

Hair clipping through armor and weapons is SO bad. I wish they could fix it. There have been many times that I have had to change hairstyles because of clipping.

I have learned the hard way which hairstyles to stop using because of this... which is sad as the styles are good ( the reason I chose them in the first place). I really don't think they will do anything about it now. Too much of a headache.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1