Toxic gatekeeping at Xera boss in raid without mastery

Hi, i was recently doing some raiding and then got kicked out of a raid group because i didn't have lay line gliding. How can this game have this kind of gatekeeping in the content? I though gw2 is a game for everybody and then i encounter this kind of discrimination. This should be changed asap and let people play raids that doesn't require some long and tedious event grinding for hours and hours. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 17
  • Confused 14
  • Sad 1

It's stupid that one boss is gatekept like this, why are other bosses accessible without masteries? people are defending the encounter but it really is discriminating to be able to complete it but lacking some stupid mastery behind a long grind.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, The Ace.9105 said:

It's stupid that one boss is gatekept like this, why are other bosses accessible without masteries? people are defending the encounter but it really is discriminating to be able to complete it but lacking some stupid mastery behind a long grind.

Well, why do you need lvl 80 to access certain content? Why do you need ascended gear to slot in infusions? Why do you need lvl 60 to use best runes?

Because it's an mmorpg and even without a gear treadmil, some structure and sense of progress isn't a bad thing at all. As for masteries needed for raids, xera isn't exactly the only one. Some can be ignored or played around easier than the others but still... Examples:

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, The Ace.9105 said:

It's not discriminating when it's a REQUIRED mechanic. There is literally a section in the raid between dps phases that requires you to leyline glide from platform to platform. If you don't have leyline gliding you can't do the raid. In fact to start the raid you need to LEYLINE glide over to the first platform. If you can't do that then you'll be forced to just die and watch as the 9 other people are doing the raid. What part of this do you not understand?

• Like 2

The list is even longer.

Sab requires explosive launch for at least 2 members of the raid team

Math strongly encourages having the water mastery so you can actually effectly cleanse yourself. 

Sab encourages you have the last raid mastery so you can remove derangement stacks.

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, The Ace.9105 said:

It’s utilising the skills gained prior to the raid and putting them to a high level use. 

I’m not going to debate the incorrect uses of the words gatekeep or discriminatory here, but do bear in mind that this raid has existed for 8 years without complaint of the mastery use. It is also not something they are going to rework the entire raid for when it is working as intended in design.

I would however advocate that it should say in game on entry or before joining that this mastery is required to avoid time wasting. If it doesn’t have that, I think that is a fair feedback response. Changing it is not

2 minutes ago, The Ace.9105 said:

Requirements like these are tanking the raids down. No wonder anet cancelled the raids.

It's called endgame content, if you can't be bothered to meet the requirements of endgame content then you shouldn't be doing it until you meet those requirements. It's that simple. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good troll bait, almost had me lol.   Why wouldn't you have the necessary mastery for a raid, you worked to get the gear, why not all of it?  Or do you just run in with greens and yellows and hope to be carried?  I don't raid in GW2 but that's standard in all games....go prepared, you will not get sympathy.  

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Zero.1028 said:

It's called endgame content, if you can't be bothered to meet the requirements of endgame content then you shouldn't be doing it until you meet those requirements. It's that simple. 

Also, no more raids are coming to the game

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Good troll bait, almost had me lol.   Why wouldn't you have the necessary mastery for a raid, you worked to get the gear, why not all of it?  Or do you just run in with greens and yellows and hope to be carried?  I don't raid in GW2 but that's standard in all games....go prepared, you will not get sympathy.  

Gear is easy to get just with normal play and doesn't require hours of grinding

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

Just now, The Ace.9105 said:

i guess you say that to all of the community then?

The people who want to do raids already do it, new players who want to learn already are doing raids. People like you who complain about the smallest requirements aren't needed in the community cuz it's people like you who don't contribute much. So yes I say that to everyone like you that's part of the community 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Masteries also are easy to get just with normal play. If you have trouble with getting mastery points then what are we even talking about here...

Point is, it's not fun, takes too long and is gatekeeping the content

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Zero.1028 said:

The people who want to do raids already do it, new players who want to learn already are doing raids. People like you who complain about the smallest requirements aren't needed in the community cuz it's people like you who don't contribute much. So yes I say that to everyone like you that's part of the community 

is that a huge loss to remove the requirement?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, The Ace.9105 said:

i guess you say that to all of the community then?

If I don't get everything from gemstore unlocked for free right now, I'd rather quit the game like the rest of former players did.

That's what you're doing here. Not addressing anything specific, simply falling back onto the equivalent of "do what I want or ded game". Nonsense.

2 minutes ago, The Ace.9105 said:

Point is, it's not fun, takes too long and is gatekeeping the content

It's as "gatekeeping" as everything listed above (and more!), but somehow you don't have an issue with that because, well, who knows what. You came to make a complaint and whatever response you get, you go right for some weird "if you don't do it, ded!". But that's false and it avoids addressing anything written here.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sobx.1758 said:

If I don't get everything from gemstore unlocked for free right now, I'd rather quit the game like the rest of former players did.

That's what you're doing here. Not addressing anything specific, simply falling back onto the equivalent of "do what I want or ded game". Nonsense.

That would be a great start, the option to be able to buy mastery unlocks would be awesome!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1