[PvE] What's the point of playing DH? It sucks

FtoPScrub.5476

A greedy DPS specialization that does less DPS than FB/WB DPS specs which also bring more utility? This original theme of this class was a greedy power dps spec with significant control abilities, but daze on trap got nerfed a long time ago, and wards are useless against defiance bars. Okay, then surely it does amazing damage right? Except in a post SOTO world we have PWB doing 43.5K+, CFB doing 42K+ and DH still here barely touching 40K, not to even mention other classes that are pulling well in excess of 45K. From wingman data, right up until Soto release, it was the 3rd least played spec in raids, only Mirage and Untamed were worse.

It has no support option. It has no condition variant. It has limited utility. It has below average CC. It brings almost zero group boons. You can't even fully play ranged due to the nature of traps + needing greatsword. It does one thing: power damage, and it doesn't even do it that well, so if I were to recommend a guardian spec to a new player, why on earth would I ever recommend DH?

In addition to that, there are 2 major usability issues with how DH plays:

1) Reliance on resolution for damage. DH cannot maintain 100% resolution solo without making some big compromises. You need to pair yourself with another resolution giver, which aren't that common. This is needlessly restricting and is in opposition to "bring the player, not the class" philosophy Anet has going on right now.

2) Reliance on standing inside hitbox. Ranged classes are strong right now. Melee classes are a bit worse, but power guard takes that to a new level, because it isn't good enough to be in melee range, you have to be inside the enemy's hitbox to get optimal gs2 damage. Why is this an issue? Because there are several encounters that target the closest player, ie, usually the guy inside the hitbox. Sabetha's bombs will target the closest player. There are some encounters where there are damaging aoes inside the hitbox. Standing inside the hitbox on Whisper of Jormag, for instance, can be a death sentence. And of course there is at least one raid encounter where the boss has collision and you aren't even able to stand in the hitbox.

Really hoping that DH gets some positive changes soon. I'm fully expecting outlier dps specs like 49k scourge and 44k soulbeast to get the nerf bat, and I don't want DH to approach those levels of OP, but even before Soto DH was just not a good spec. It has a very niche use with fractal speedrunners and thats about it

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Dh wasn't a well designed spec from the start, really cool idea but poorly designed. The fact dh relied so heavily on a rune to function well showed this. Instead of looking at reasons why this happened anet gas always made poor changes to dh whether in the form of nerfs or buffs. Dh needed the rune to boost its survivability and mobility, the two things anet avoids buffing on dh, so itl remain as it is....never meta.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Stand The Wall.6987 said:

gs2 is a garbage skill that needs to be updated

Buff gs symbol damage, remove gs5 and replace with rangers block, imo that would make guards gs far better designed. Imo gs5 is gbage. Be cool if the changed gs2 interaction with gs4 so gs2 functions as normal but also shoots flaming projectiles that if pressed again pulls players into symbol. For the size of the symbol not only should its damage be buffed bit also its duration. L, than change gs5 into a block with follow up retaliation skill like rangers.

Edited by Psycoprophet.8107
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Buff gs symbol damage, remove gs5 and replace with rangers block, imo that would make guards gs far better designed. Imo gs5 is gbage. Be cool if the changed gs2 interaction with gs4 so gs2 functions as normal but also shoots flaming projectiles that if pressed again pulls players into symbol. For the size of the symbol not only should its damage be buffed bit also its duration. L, than change gs5 into a block with follow up retaliation skill like rangers.

Not every sword or gs needs a block.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

tbh dh is plenty of fun to play.. and dps wise what is your point here? close to 40k? and that is not enough? all builds above 40k should be tuned imo down but even if that doesn't happen, there is zero content where a class with almost 40k dps is useless. If you like playing dh then play it, it's a 10% difference to willbender so who cares really. With all this powercreep going on right now people are seriously complaining about a class dealing almost 40k dps as if the game wasn't easy enough already. Sad times...

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Ferus.3165 said:

tbh dh is plenty of fun to play.. and dps wise what is your point here? close to 40k? and that is not enough? all builds above 40k should be tuned imo down but even if that doesn't happen, there is zero content where a class with almost 40k dps is useless. If you like playing dh then play it, it's a 10% difference to willbender so who cares really. With all this powercreep going on right now people are seriously complaining about a class dealing almost 40k dps as if the game wasn't easy enough already. Sad times...

But they won't nerf other classes down to 40k. People have been asking that for months and the numbers keep getting higher. There isn't a point in keeping DH low relative to other classes that are being powercrept. I grow tired of this argument.

Edited by FtoPScrub.5476
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Ferus.3165 said:

Dh's damage isn't the issue, it's sustain is.

5 hours ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Dh's damage isn't the issue, it's sustain is.

In PvE? I do not think so.

As for damage, I think things will remain in flux till next patch. Even if another build/class is doing 45k, it will probably be nerfed or DH buffed. I would be concerned if this continues after next patch. It means Anet is sleeping behind the wheel, which they could be…

2 minutes ago, otto.5684 said:

In PvE? I do not think so.

As for damage, I think things will remain in flux till next patch. Even if another build/class is doing 45k, it will probably be nerfed or DH buffed. I would be concerned if this continues after next patch. It means Anet is sleeping behind the wheel, which they could be…

I'm referring to all pvp modes, but pve damage still seems more than ok on dh.

2 hours ago, Saiyan.1704 said:

There's bigger issues going on with DH in PvP lol, but that talk probably doesn't belong in this pvp thread (title).

In pvp dh main issue is 100% its sustain........hense what trappers provided for it and why it was used....... but if u meant pve everytime u said pvp than I hear what ur saying lol.

Edited by Psycoprophet.8107
  • Confused 1