Let's Steal From Wildstar: Jade Bot as Scan Bot

Remember Wildstar Online? Made by the same parent company as Guild Wars, btw. 

One of my favorite things from Wildstar was picking the scientist path and then scanning EVERYTHING in the game. Each time, a robotic voice would come on and describe what you'd just scanned, and would explain pieces of lore. I loved that--I'd listen while I continued playing. It was a dopamine hit every time I found something new to scan.

I think it would be just swell if our Jade Bot could serve this same kind of function. Could be used for books, to scan nodes, creatures, ruins, city buildings, the possibilities are endless. 

I've always enjoyed writing stories and I'm a dungeon master, so I'm aware that there's a rule to avoid info dumps, but there really are lore nerds among us who would appreciate this.

With text-to-voice tech becoming as sophisticated as it is, and since a more robotic voice is something I'd expect from the Jade Bot, I imagine this might actually be feasible, economically, to add to the game. 

What do you guys think?

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I'm guessing for most players that would be more visual (already quite a few screen notifications) and audio clutter and rather annoying.  Scanning everything sounds exhausting.  I love my little jade bot, but I prefer it as the more ambient little floaty that it is.  

A service chip for something like that would be fine as long as it remains optional, and not something I need to scan flora and fauna.  I don't personally want a robot voice talking to me and telling me about pocket raptors.  Scanning for lore I could see be appealing to some players.  

• Thanks 1

Maybe a drug hunting expansion. Since the company (ArenaNet) is based in the US and they are a lot more critical about drugs than other (European) society. New evil: Drug boss trying to take over Tyria by making people addicted and with this obeying him.

Commander/Wayfinder (now maybe new name: "DEA guy" or something like that lol) equipped with the but in some sneak mission to scan people for drugs. (They than turn enemy.) Can be done in open world and maybe combined with some PvP-like maps where 2nd team could play the drug dealers lol.

• Confused 1

I think I'd like that. I never played Wildstar (they made it very clear they didn't want players like me) but I've used similar systems in other games and enjoyed it. I've spent ages in Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom trying to not only photograph everything for the compendium but trying to get good photos of each one, and then take the time periodically to read the descriptions.

I agree it should be entirely optional so no one has to do it if they don't want to, but I think it would be fun.

Maybe they could have Scholar Wikki lead the project?

• Like 2