Relic binding - unintended consequences?

Kyniel.4706

8 hours ago, willow.8209 said:

there are even some less-than-exotic items that don't soulbind

for instance:
Trackless Boots - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W) 

uhm did you read that  wiki link?

Soulbound on Use

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Trackless_Boots_(level_30)

So its exactly like the freely given relics we got the ones you craft can be sold to other players.

Edited by Linken.6345

• 4 months later...
On 9/3/2023 at 9:29 AM, Linken.6345 said:

Because they are exotic and not ascended.

Dude, and what about the casual players? I wanted the same relic for another character, and is only achieved by story achievement. So what?? I can't buy, can't craft... the relic system is a dumb thing since the start.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/3/2023 at 9:31 AM, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

you will be able to go for a legendary relic that works across all characters in just a few months.

So, if you don't want legendary what do you do? If you are just a casual needing to use the same relic in another character and that relic is only able via story achievement?

39 minutes ago, Ixus.7912 said:

Dude, and what about the casual players? I wanted the same relic for another character, and is only achieved by story achievement. So what?? I can't buy, can't craft... the relic system is a dumb thing since the start.

Check Archivist Ikur in the Wizard's Tower, he sells a lot of story relics, once you've earned them from the achievement the first time.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Ixus.7912 said:

So, if you don't want legendary what do you do? If you are just a casual needing to use the same relic in another character and that relic is only able via story achievement?

you can get the relics from various npcs and from the wvw vendors as many times as you like (at a significant cost, of course).

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 12:26 PM, Taclism.2406 said:

That's nice of you to assume its unintended.
As far as I'm concerned, that was a very conscious decision. "Something to grind" every update (more relic variety = new best in slot = spend again for the new flavour). Something that wouldnt be possible if they released legendary relics on SotO release.

Nah, the Legendary Relic will likely also make the Legendary Rune owners grind a lot. They definitely wanted that to happen in the beginning, and even after they have been called on it, and promised "partial compensation", they will almost certainly make sure the remaining, uncompensated part will still be quite significant.

It was always about trying to push the boundaries of their old "no regearing needed" promise and introducing some novel ways of gear progression through the backdoors.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/3/2023 at 10:48 PM, Zebulous.2934 said:

How odd.  Account bound would be enough to keep them out of the tp.  That is a strange choice.

What if my current build gets nerfed?  If my current relic no longer provides benefit to my current character, I would like the option to attach that relic to a different character that could actually use it.

It sounds like equipping relics is a risk, and crafting them a hassle.  With continuous balance changes, using relics doesn't seem worth it.

It's not just about keeping them out of the TP. It's about supply and demand and by making them account bound on use just means that the demand will be lower than when it's soulbound on use.

Edited by Gehenna.3625

4 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

It's not just about keeping them out of the TP. It's about supply and demand and by making them account bound on use just means that the demand will be lower than when it's soulbound on use.

I am not sure about the higher demand theory.  Instead of trying each relic out, I would simply wait and research what other people do.  Then I would buy a single relic.  So many people like to make youtube video guides, the wiki is also helpful. 
If relics were account bound I would buy more relics to test edge case uses.  If my test found the effect to be too poor, I could at least transfer the relic to a more fitting character.  Since relics are soul bound there is too much of a risk that an edge case application will be patched out later.  Then I won't be able to transfer the relic to a character who can use the relic for its intended effects.
I don't think that soulbinding encourages multiple purchases, I think it encourages an informed single purchase.

• Like 3

On 9/3/2023 at 2:29 PM, Linken.6345 said:

Because they are exotic and not ascended.

So you are telling me that for 13 years the rune and sigils are working wrong? After putting them in a weapon or armor I can take them out and give them another char or even sell it.

3 hours ago, BadHealer.3608 said:

So you are telling me that for 13 years the rune and sigils are working wrong? After putting them in a weapon or armor I can take them out and give them another char or even sell it.

ofcourse not please show me a relic you put into something else thats soul/accountbound and it will work the same bud.