PvP has become Call of Duty

gerberlyfe.9736

26 minutes ago, gkoogz.3089 said:

The winner is whoever gets their cheese off on first contact.

You either oneshot the opponent, or  stunlock them / activate your 3s invuln and hope that someone else on your team has a oneshot (they will).

TTK (time to kill) is now 2 seconds. This game is becoming actual trash.

As long as you can see the engagement coming and have buttons that will let you respond to this if you see the engagement coming, I have never minded people melting in 2 seconds. 2 seconds is plenty of time to respond to something even if it catches you by surprise. 

I would much rather that than a sea of players explaining why they should be entitled to live a particular amount of time (outside of the time required to respond to incoming damage), when they eat damage they could have responded to half a minute ago by watching the map. 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

3 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

As long as you can see the engagement coming

This verges on my #1 beef with today's dynamic, and that is simply  way way too much stealth in this game.

At least half of the time in higher tiered play, you actually can't see it coming.

The level of stealth output in this game has gone beyond realistic expectations for a human to be able to track and respond. This one aspect of the dynamic allows for the glorification of DPS specs. It's even tilting towards this in 3v3s.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

50 minutes ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

This verges on my #1 beef with today's dynamic, and that is simply  way way too much stealth in this game.

At least half of the time in higher tiered play, you actually can't see it coming.

The level of stealth output in this game has gone beyond realistic expectations for a human to be able to track and respond. This one aspect of the dynamic allows for the glorification of DPS specs. It's even tilting towards this in 3v3s.

Agreed, ranger needs to be nerfed to the ground

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3

One thing that really gets me is that the power creep of rangers, but also other classes, over the last few patches has created a toxic interaction between  stunlock and oneshot.

The ranger power creep over the last month has taken this problem to crisis levels.

Either a hammer warrior or reaper freeze disables you for 4 seconds, and there is a ranger that just pigstomps you dead and there's nothing you can do.

This game needs a solution like WoW's Diminishing Returns where consecutive disables are shorter each time on a global level.

Guild Wars 2 has never seriously addressed the stunlock problem, it was never such a problem when the DPS was lower, and they even did address it at one point when they removed almost all the damage from disable skills, but  the problem in Conquest is that there is no solution beyond stability and stunbreaks, which are scarce, to stuns which are common, and becoming meta for that reason.

TLDR the combination of disables and powercreep has made teamfights unenjoyable, because if you pair a long stun with a soulbeast, there is literally no solution in the game.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Barabbas.8715 said:

Yeah. Even Mukluk talked about this and showed video evidence. THere is not skill any more, just pick the build that kills or stuns the fastest. You can have 4 stun break skills and it don't matter. If the enemy sees you before you see them, you're dead. End of story.

I think it's more telling when people point to Mukluk vids in relation to anything competitive...

Mukluk very casual PvE'r, anyone like that will struggle in competitive environment.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

I think it's more telling when people point to Mukluk vids in relation to anything competitive...

Mukluk very casual PvE'r, anyone like that will struggle in competitive environment.  

Correct. Pvp is a different beast than raids.

1 hour ago, gkoogz.3089 said:

Either a hammer warrior or reaper freeze disables you for 4 seconds,

React.

1 hour ago, gkoogz.3089 said:

but  the problem in Conquest is that there is no solution beyond stability and stunbreaks, which are scarce

💀🍿 nobodys forcing you to get stunned so frequently that three+ utility stunbreak slots cant save you besides you. 

If you cant reasonably react to damage before it kills you, fine.  If you CAN, but think your agency is more important than the agency of the person landing hammer strikes or chilled to the bone, you're wrong.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

19 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Correct. Pvp is a different beast than raids.

React.

💀🍿 nobodys forcing you to get stunned so frequently that three+ utility stunbreak slots cant save you besides you. 

If you cant reasonably react to damage before it kills you, fine.  If you CAN, but think your agency is more important than the agency of the person landing hammer strikes or chilled to the bone, you're wrong.

Oneshot Stunlock is Call of Duty level, where you turn the corner and the first one to react wins. I get it, you like Call of Duty. That's on you, that's your choice, and many people do.  But anyone who has played GW2 PvP for a while will tell you the game wasn't like this before, and it has become like this due to power creep.

In this environment, burst damage is the only viable DPS tactic. Let's take a look at the current top DPS metabattle builds as a sample:

Power Melee Stancebeast - glass burst pigstomp
Burst Gyro Scrapper - glass burst nades
Power Chronoshatter - glass burst shatters
Power Hammer Cata - ok, an actual bruiser.

3/4 of them are literally just glass burst. That's your choice of DPS in pvp. So now you get exclusively ultra burst specs, on mesmers because they can not only burst but have the invuln to resist enemy oneshot bursts. On scrappers because they not only burst but have superspeed and stealth to resist the enemy oneshot burst. And soulbeast because right now they have a shadowstep pigstep burst, and a sword invuln to cheese away. And  btw the cata is only viable because it uniquely has access to two 3sec invulns on its utility bar. That's why the game is now Call of Duty tier. It's just invulns vs oneshots. (And by the way the supports are only ones who can provide aegis or stuns, more cheese).

It's not intentionally like this -- it's like this due to negligence. It's because over the years power has crept upwards, and invulns have creeped upwards like with the introduction of Distortion on all the different mesmer specs. They HAD to introduce literal invulnerability buttons onto Mesmers because as a class Mesmers did not have enough actual mechanics to counter a radical power crept environment. So they gave them more cheese. Invulns have grown in importance as the power has crept upwards, beacuse, again, in a radically higher power environment the only solution is literal invulnerability, because Guild Wars 2 class and skill balance team did not create any other tools, and failed to properly balance the numbers, and this is the cope that remains.

That's it. That's all there is left. Burst and invuln/stealth. Take your pick. Btw, you don't get a pick, only a class with both can succeed. All the other mechanics have fallen away. Condi is on life support. Anything else, any interesting skills or mechanics, they've all fallen away beceause the only viable strategy when you encounter a foe is to oneshot them or invuln to avoid their oneshot. That's power creep. No longer is it a numbers game really, or a strategy game. It's a reaction time game. Ok, fine,  so you like that, and that's ok. But Call of Duty is a very different game, with different pacing than what Guild Wars 2 used to be, or even what they intended GW2 to be. It's power creep, and it's like this due to negligent design.

It is possible for the game to be different. And you don't see it because of a fundamental lack of a vision of what it could be or how the game used to play. I don't blame you. The devs also have this fundamental lack of vision.

Edited by gkoogz.3089
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

As a recent player returning to GW2 and jumping back into sPVP,  my initial impressions was power is king..... looking for builds to run from the different sites, a good majority are zerker which is pretty much the point the original poster is making imo.   I don't get the impression that they have a problem with glass cannons just that, right its completely dominated by them and I don't see a disadvantage for them at this point.     I have had a few enjoyable  spvp sessions but I have had some that were me just getting nuked over and over.   Is there a reason to even bring a support build.... are bunkers really a thing in the past (every profession should have one imo) .... because the teams doing the smashing don't appear to need any.    At least in the lower tiers of ranked and unranked.

Maybe its just rust on my part but acting like the original poster doesn't have a point seems odd.    And not everyone has the twitching fast reactions... some of us are older folks in their 50's would appreciate a bit more diverse options.    What advice would you give me on which build to play as someone that doesn't have the reflexes of their youth?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gkoogz.3089 said:

I get it, you like Call of Duty.

I don't play CoD. I do play fighting games though. 

anyone who has played GW2 PvP for a while will tell you the game wasn't like this before, and it has become like this due to power creep.

You sure? Burst damage has been around since the game's beginning. It's merely changed form.

People died in seconds due to not dodging key skills before, and the whine generated by the players unwilling to learn to do so led to some of the most boring game rebalances in the game's history (see: Esports Bunker balance arc and the Megapatch).  We're back to damage again because, despite all that, people still largely cannot evade or mitigate, and my assertion is that you cannot or should not balance for people who will eat (then negatively evaluate the fairness of) chilled to the bone or a hammer stunlock that you can react to at any point before you get hit by hammer 2. Instant damage? Sure, argue away. Those last two skills ain't that though.

In this environment, burst damage is the only viable DPS tactic. Let's take a look at the current top DPS metabattle builds as a sample:

3/4 of them are literally just glass burst. 

*squints at Rabid condizerker* 

So what do you want. More bunker? More condi tanks? People already hate this condi tank for reasons that should be obvious.

in a radically higher power environment the only solution is literal invulnerability

Or support. There's support builds right up there with the power ones. See above.

It's because over the years power has crept upwards

The megapatch launched right before EoD. The gamestate changes you experienced between EoD and now was largely correcting what the megapatch made too weak. Why would you not expect this behavior?

55 minutes ago, Stee Janz.8126 said:

What advice would you give me on which build to play as someone that doesn't have the reflexes of their youth?

Play a tanky build. lots of them exist, they're just not meta. A high mitigation build paired with a support can be very effective. Bladesworn, Virtuoso, Condi zerker and the like are meta AND high mitigation. There are options, but making them so strong that they don't die after eating significantly more damage that would have killed any other build type leads to metas on the other end of the spectrum: where people fight but don't down.

That being said, I do not disagree with specific facets of the OP's post, but he includes some mechanics that he absolutely SHOULD be avoiding as if they are unavoidable. Like I said before:

If you're getting killed instantly and you cant react? There's a discussion to be had, sure.

If you are getting killed instantly because you didn't react to something that has a big flashing warning light, or a visible situation that telegraphs "you are going to get hit by damage if you eat this", that is a non-issue. OP equates both scenarios as being part of the same beast. Chilled to the bone takes 1.25 seconds to charge and go off. Even if you're older you should be able to react to this. 

To borrow some fighting game language, there's a difference between an unreactable move that hits you for a ton of your health (or leads into a touch of death), and not blocking an overhead that leads into you losing a ton of your health. Getting hit by a hammer warrior / Chilled to the bone/ skills with limitations like these is like not blocking an overhead. You had the opportunity to, but due to lack of knowledge of the attack, unwillingness to adjust your block stance, or a lost mindgame, the overhead hit you. That doesn't make the overhead unfair, and it doesn't mean the damage you take for not blocking the overhead is unearned. Learn to block the overhead.

I don't see a disadvantage for them at this point.

The disadvantage is they die immediately if targeted. Most of them are also weak to conditions, or skills that stop them from moving. 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Good Post

A fellow fighting game enjoyer I see. 

I don't have much background with traditional fighters, but I basically grew up in the smash bros community. A lot of it's early mindsets stuck with me moving into other games. One of it's the biggest lessons being "No Johns". 

For anyone not in the fighting game community, it basically translates to "No Excuses". If you lost, you lost. Accept it, learn from it, move on. Saying the person you lost to is carried by their pick would get you laughed out of most circles. Or you get a salty highlights video made of you on youtube :)

It is a shame that people can get hit by skills with huge warning lights that literally scream "dodge this now" eat the skill anyway. Die from it. Then cry OP knowing that if enough people join them, they'll get their way.

Killing off these builds almost always guarantees that something more infuriating takes its place. 

On the other hand, there are the builds that throw out the equivalent of safe pokes in neutral. Attacks that you would expect to lead to some damage, but not outright kill. You're not expected to react to these. They come out too quickly for your average non-super human to avoid on reaction times alone. 

You're expected to predict or out-maneuver these attacks. Move in and out of the opponents threat bubble and bait a whiff. They're low risk. Low-moderate reward. 

Current builds are taking that and flipping it on it's head. What should be safe pokes are either hitting with the force of a nuclear bomb and killing someone outright. Or getting them so low that the thief waiting in the back can play leap frog with their soon-to-be corpse. 

Most builds throw out attacks. If it whiffs. it's w/e. You chain blocks, aegis, stab, invulns, port away, stealth. Whatever your build's flavor of chaining defensive's is. If you hit, the opponent is either dead off that interaction or close to it. 

These attacks are usually un-reactable. Either coming from stealth or immediately following someone porting on you through a wall. You aren't expected to react. You either predict it. Or you outmaneuver them through smart rotations. 

Things should not be that way. There needs to be a distinction between these big overhead plays, and small neutral interactions. If there isn't, people start exploding for seemingly no reason. It starts to feel less like you got outplayed and more like you just got cheesed. 

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Play a tanky build. lots of them exist, they're just not meta. A high mitigation build paired with a support can be very effective. Bladesworn, Virtuoso, Condi zerker and the like are meta AND high mitigation. There are options, but making them so strong that they don't die after eating significantly more damage that would have killed any other build type leads to metas on the other end of the spectrum: where people fight but don't down.

The disadvantage is they die immediately if targeted. Most of them are also weak to conditions, or skills that stop them from moving. 

There haven't been calls for meta bunker builds, my point is that the don't really exist and the won't if they don't scale with power creep.... to the original posters point, the fact that glass builds can avoid damage (through boons, invulnerability, and stealth, not dodge)  it eliminates the need for support.   I agree that a bunker build should not be able to tank multiple players (3 or more) but the meta isn't even close to that.  It should be a viable solution to pressure a bunker build at a point with 2 players when there is stalemate of a one on one.    I would still lean toward power being more powerful than support if played correctly. 

IMO it should be feasible for a less reactive player to focus on defense and remain alive because they spec'ed that way.   Of course that would be at a cost of not being able to kill anyone either.    But similar to raids, there should be option for players to run those type of builds but I don't see it in spvp.  Granted it could be my skill level and I should just play more but if I go more supportive on my Engie... I get nuked either way.    So it feels at this time like its better for me to go meta of all power to see who bursts who first then to actually try a supportive type build that isn't even remotely effective.   

Edited by Stee Janz.8126
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kuma.1503 said:

A fellow fighting game enjoyer I see. A fellow fighting game enjoyer I see. 

I don't have much background with traditional fighters, but I basically grew up in the smash bros community. A lot of it's early mindsets stuck with me moving into other games. One of it's the biggest lessons being "No Johns". 

I used to do locals with Bowser but haven't kept up with the game since covid. Ask @Sahne.6950~ A lot of the mindgame/matchup fundamentals carry over between street fighter and this. :3 

You can probably see why I'm big on "see telegraph but don't dodge? die"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stee Janz.8126 said:

Granted it could be my skill level and I should just play more but if I go more supportive on my Engie... I get nuked either way.    So it feels at this time like its better for me to go meta of all power to see who bursts who first then to actually try a supportive type build that isn't even remotely effective.   

There's one of your mistakes. 

Take it from me, Support engi is dead. It got hit with a lot of random nerfs. Some, like the superspeed nerfs, were done to tone down other builds. Some, like the Medkit, Medical Dispersion field, and Purity of Purpose nerfs were done because of WvW. And the devs think overperforming in WvW = Overperforming in PvP. Some just make no sense like the Kinetic Accelerators nerf. (Giving AoE quickness helped make up for your lack of personal damage output). 

If you want to play a supportive Engi, the best way to do that is to play Stealth Burst Scrapper. 

You "Support" by giving your DPS stealth, might, fury, superspeed. So they can burst harder. You secure downs or Rez allies with function Gyro. You stun opponents to set up bursts. And if you run Bulwark Gyro, you can go for Defense field plays. 

Engi relies on it's built in utility to support a group. Traditional support builds are dead. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Stee Janz.8126 said:

It should be feasible for a less reactive player to focus on defense and remain alive because they spec'ed that way.   Of course that would be at a cost of not being able to kill anyone either. 

Consider that, while this is a reasonable request, sitting on a conquest point this way and forcing two people to commit to you before you move has been the source of just as much complaint. 

The game is about point defense for conquest. There is some nuance to be discussed when you can defend a point by nature of your build alone. 

This is far more reasonable than "Hammer stunlocking, Chilled to the bone are unfair." I will respect this argument. Just know it's different from the OPs. 

2 minutes ago, Kuma.1503 said:

There's one of your mistakes. 

Take it from me, Support engi is dead. It got hit with a lot of random nerfs. Some, like the superspeed nerfs, were done to tone down other builds. Some, like the Medkit, Medical Dispersion field, and Purity of Purpose nerfs were done because of WvW. And the devs think overperforming in WvW = Overperforming in PvP. Some just make no sense like the Kinetic Accelerators nerf. (Giving AoE quickness helped make up for your lack of personal damage output). 

If you want to play a supportive Engi, the best way to do that is to play Stealth Burst Scrapper. 

You "Support" by giving your DPS stealth, might, fury, superspeed. So they can burst harder. You secure downs or Rez allies with function Gyro. You stun opponents to set up bursts. And if you run Bulwark Gyro, you can go for Defense field plays. 

Engi relies on it's built in utility to support a group. Traditional support builds are dead. 

I think that is pretty much the point of  original poster.  :)  

I have actually been running a variant of that build... without the stealth.  I don't have the burst rotation down very good so I bring Mortar Kit to provide a bit of pressure and combo fields.  But it does weaken the build.

5 minutes ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

I used to do locals with Bowser but haven't kept up with the game since covid. Ask @Sahne.6950~ A lot of the mindgame/matchup fundamentals carry over between street fighter and this. :3 

You can probably see why I'm big on "see telegraph but don't dodge? die"

Absolutely. 

I entered the scene in the days of Brawl. I was but a wee Timmy. I liked pokemon so I picked pokemon trainer on the character select Screen. Fell in love with their playstyle. And eventually I found the competitive online community by complete mistake. 

A lot happened after that, but one of the first things I learned was... Trainer f**** sucks. 

Ivysaur. That green, plant dinosaur thing. You hit him ONCE. With any move with enough knockback to send him offstage. And he's dead. Calling his recovery dogwater would be an insult to dogwater. 

"Dodge or die" Got ingrained in my psyche real quick. 

Still main him btw. Apparently They're high tier now so I get to enact my revenge. 

8 minutes ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Consider that, while this is a reasonable request, sitting on a conquest point this way and forcing two people to commit to you before you move has been the source of just as much complaint. 

The game is about point defense for conquest. There is some nuance to be discussed when you can defend a point by nature of your build alone. 

This is far more reasonable than "Hammer stunlocking, Chilled to the bone are unfair." I will respect this argument. Just know it's different from the OPs. 

I am pretty sure we probably have more common ground then disagreement but I  do think that is over simplifying the OP position.  They original post was a bit lacking in context but he improved on it later.  The stun-locking does not appear to  be balanced.   With the current burst is king state,  it only takes a very very small  amount of coordination to utilize stun locks to nuke someone.  It has happened to me a few times where I blew all my stun breaks and still didn't get out of it.  It was like the damage is just waiting for your "oh crap to cool off".    If it stays this way, ANet will need to add a clear alarm that your are being focused by other team as soon as your marked because once the action starts, not sure you can get out of it today.  Well for those players that don't have the ability to just vanish in the mists. 

Granted that is a point you made before that at least one you your utilities out to "get you the Hell out of there"  button but the whole utility bar?  Not all professions are equal when it comes to what is available and how its available.  Which is a good thing IMO, but  is why your build should help counter zerker builds and you sure has hell can't be a clicker...... if you have to mouse click the skill your dead. 

I think there is merit to the original post to the current state even the the reference to COD was pretty weak.    It didn't get the discussion off to a good start.  But like I said, maybe I just need to play more.  I will be back in there tonight for more punishment.  :)

10 hours ago, gkoogz.3089 said:

Oneshot Stunlock is Call of Duty level, where you turn the corner and the first one to react wins. I get it, you like Call of Duty. That's on you, that's your choice, and many people do.  But anyone who has played GW2 PvP for a while will tell you the game wasn't like this before, and it has become like this due to power creep.

Tbf you can take hammer cata off that list for 99% of us. All of the burst specs can out kite it, unless their is a skill gap. Becuase of that, and becuase of the mass amount of mobility, playing sides as hammer catter is just asking to get +1, and you can't escape. If you play mid point, you depend on a support, and their seem to be less supports now than ever. I think it would be more optimal to play zerker in the avg ranked game.. far more escape which can let you actually play sides if no support.

Does anybody even see hammer catas? I've seen maybe 3 in around 100 games or more.

Most I see now is

Necro and SB most common, like 50/60% representation.

Warrior and mesmer next, 20/30%

Then some randoms like herald, willbender, specter etc

Its more common now to have 0 support.. but every other game or so is 1 core guard or a tempest each team. And at that, a lot of tempests are practically meme level dps now. They are kind of like spellbreakers, just annoying to fight.

Edited by Flowki.7194
  • Confused 1

On 9/3/2023 at 1:24 PM, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

As long as you can see the engagement coming and have buttons that will let you respond to this if you see the engagement coming, I have never minded people melting in 2 seconds. 2 seconds is plenty of time to respond to something even if it catches you by surprise. 

I would much rather that than a sea of players explaining why they should be entitled to live a particular amount of time (outside of the time required to respond to incoming damage), when they eat damage they could have responded to half a minute ago by watching the map. 

Bro - Yes. Came here just to give u a like and some support. Beware confused reacts incoming from silvers. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/4/2023 at 11:38 AM, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Lol the forums taking mukluks feedback on pvp. I think this proves the majority of the posts are from silvers. This reference being made at all and not being immediately laughed out of the building (forum) is of the highest concern. 🤣

Edited by jdawgie.1835
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, gkoogz.3089 said:

Oneshot Stunlock is Call of Duty level, where you turn the corner and the first one to react wins. I get it, you like Call of Duty. That's on you,

Thats not what he said - stop doing that. Thats what you want him to have said. It didnt really happen though. 

What he actually said was:

On 9/4/2023 at 12:54 PM, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

On 9/4/2023 at 12:54 PM, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

nobodys forcing you to get stunned so frequently that three+ utility stunbreak slots cant save you besides you. 

Responding to his post with "ya but call of duty" is nonsensical. This is actually not call of duty. Not even a little bit. 

• Confused 1

On 9/3/2023 at 10:00 PM, gkoogz.3089 said:

The winner is whoever gets their cheese off on first contact.

You either oneshot the opponent, or  stunlock them / activate your 3s invuln and hope that someone else on your team has a oneshot (they will).

TTK (time to kill) is now 2 seconds. This game is becoming actual trash.

It's funny because it was the case back in 2020. GW2 was a FPS.

Then they nerf damage (february 2020 ?). Then plethora of people said tank meta isn't fun, then here we are today 😄.

Bis repetitae.

• Confused 1