Confused about Weekly Wizard Vault - Identify 100 Pieces of Gear

Oddly, when I look this feature up I get:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Identify_Gear

This page contains information about a Guild Wars 2 element, mechanic, or feature that has been removed or replaced.
The information on this page does not apply to the current version of the game or the content is no longer available.

I remember back in the day when there were "Identification Kits" - Or was that GW1? Well I thought it was in GW2 as well for a while.

So, what am I being asked to do here? Just Salvage 100 Pieces of Unidentified Gear? Sure no problem.

Guess I'll try that and see if it ticks the counter. But I'm not clear why we are referring to a feature in the Wizard's Vault tasks that has been removed from the game.

Or is this just my confusion?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 9/4/2023 at 9:38 PM, windyweather.1238 said:

Ok. My confusion. Just open those "Unidentified Containers".

Just make sure you  have enough Inventory space when you ID gear and then use a salvage kit to both save space and do get mats (which you move to Material Storage with Deposit All Materials in your Inventory  upper corner where you see three icons (first from left).

This will not take much time. Items that are worth anything to keep will not get salvaged when you salvage by rarity (all green; all blue or all yellow). Start with all Fine (Blue - most items without any upgrades), Masterwork (Green - some items have upgrades which is better to use Runecrafter Infinite Salvage kit (from GS) or better Salvage kit then basic) and Rare (Yellow - most often with upgrades and will have a chance to give Ectos).

Always ID gear before Salvage as you have a higher chance to get mats that can be used to craft Runes or Sigil (or sell those Charms as they are still worth some Gold) when you have ID them first.

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2023 at 2:13 PM, windyweather.1238 said:

Oddly, when I look this feature up I get:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Identify_Gear

I remember back in the day when there were "Identification Kits" - Or was that GW1? Well I thought it was in GW2 as well for a while.

So, what am I being asked to do here? Just Salvage 100 Pieces of Unidentified Gear? Sure no problem.

Guess I'll try that and see if it ticks the counter. But I'm not clear why we are referring to a feature in the Wizard's Vault tasks that has been removed from the game.

Or is this just my confusion?

While directly salvaging unidentified gear is quick, it is always better to identify it before salvaging.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Yup. I got a precursor from an Unid, so only ever salvage before opening by mistake.

That really just an unwritten rule, although the chances are overall pretty slim, I've identified >300,000 gear pieces myself and only gotten a precursor once. Still would recommend to do it regardless. 

• Like 1