Spend the Masteries now or wait

So, I finished grabbing enough masteries to buy the "Big Box" opening mastery. I have heard lots of people ..whelmed...by those boxes...

Do you think it's a better choice to hold on to these points for the third map and inevitable mastery line? I know there are usually plenty of "extras" ..but some are not in reach for me at the moment. Just a late night thought. 

Thanks

Flag 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2023 at 10:12 PM, Max Castle.6173 said:

So, I finished grabbing enough masteries to buy the "Big Box" opening mastery. I have heard lots of people ..whelmed...by those boxes...

Do you think it's a better choice to hold on to these points for the third map and inevitable mastery line? I know there are usually plenty of "extras" ..but some are not in reach for me at the moment. Just a late night thought. 

Thanks

Flag 

Who knows if farming unusual coins will be good to start farming now or if it won't be worth it at all. Best to hold onto the mastery points since it looks like it is just for more unidentifieds.

On 9/12/2023 at 7:12 AM, Max Castle.6173 said:

Do you think it's a better choice to hold on to these points for the third map and inevitable mastery line?

If you like the masteries, that you can unlock for your mastery points, spend them now else hold on to them. And you can always get more mastery points now. You can get more now than you can use.

• Like 2

I guess you mean Secrets of the Obscure (the latest expansion) the one of open the big chests (Greater Arcane Treasure)? There weill be more mastery points than needed but you are right: If some are hard to reach for you ... it might be best to plan ahead. I'd max out the one for the skyscale (this also is recommended for veteran players that already have their skyscale from the season  because you get astral acclaim for doing that achievement) then spending the points on the other stuff.

The one that gives recipes and at the last tier more rewards from rifts ... is more interesting than the one with the chests. But still not that important if you are a new player. (Will likely need a grind and good amount of gold to totally finish the legendary they want to offer with PvE content where you need the rift rewards.)

So ... maxing Skyscale mastery line first. Then the one with the rift recipes and stuff ... the one with the chest: Do them as the last. But if you have enough to max everything now ... do it now. I doubt it will get harder with the stuff they add later. (If they have learned anything  from Icebrood and complaints there ... they might make it easier - keeping it only very restrictive for now so people play the now still limited SotO content and play a lot of it.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

I guess you mean Secrets of the Obscure (the latest expansion) the one of open the big chests (Greater Arcane Treasure)? There weill be more mastery points than needed but you are right: If some are hard to reach for you ... it might be best to plan ahead. I'd max out the one for the skyscale (this also is recommended for veteran players that already have their skyscale from the season  because you get astral acclaim for doing that achievement) then spending the points on the other stuff.

The one that gives recipes and at the last tier more rewards from rifts ... is more interesting than the one with the chests. But still not that important if you are a new player. (Will likely need a grind and good amount of gold to totally finish the legendary they want to offer with PvE content where you need the rift rewards.)

So ... maxing Skyscale mastery line first. Then the one with the rift recipes and stuff ... the one with the chest: Do them as the last. But if you have enough to max everything now ... do it now. I doubt it will get harder with the stuff they add later. (If they have learned anything  from Icebrood and complaints there ... they might make it easier - keeping it only very restrictive for now so people play the now still limited SotO content and play a lot of it.)

Thanks very much for this post. This is the exact thing I've been wondering about. I have all my masteries except for the Greater Arcane Treasure. After a lot of work and some frustration, I finally got enough to get that one too. However, when I looked to see what I might get from a greater Arcane treasure. I'm not so sure it's worth it.

I'm not that good of a player and some mastery points are out of my reach. Especially ones where you got to get a gold in this or that adventure and a few others. For instance, in Heart of Thorns, there are two or three masteries that I will never get due to the difficulty obtaining enough mastery points.

Thats why I'm cautious and not that keen to spend these last 6 hard fought mastery points on something that seems to have little worth. I still may do it and hope there are extra points to be had beyond what you might need when they add new content.

Thanks to all that contributed to this this thread. I can now make a more informed choice.

Edited by Tom.6478
  • Like 2

250 astral acclaim is not worth having to deal with the ley lines while flying. I’ve stopped short of that mastery, and won’t be getting it until they come up with a solution. It also blocks me from Riding Spirits, but I love zooming around these new zones in Griffon too much.

I expect the new mastery line will be connected to the OW legendary armor, so it won’t hurt to have some banked mastery points.

I have been surprised how I keep getting them without hunting. Did an event chain in the spire with Dagda that isn’t part of the meta and was surprised to get one. They seem to have seeded them nicely through ordinary play in the zones.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I have very bad memories when it comes to masteries in IBS, where spending points on those essence chests locked me out of content, because I could not use the Raven gates.
I am currently holding on to 7 mastery points (although there are still some more to gain in the content currently available), because of that bad experience (I fully unlocked the skyskale one, for A New Friend).

• Like 1

Just start at the top and work your way down it's more then enough mastery points to max everything with 4-5 left over. As long as you have the rift opening ability the content is not too bad. I skipped all the achievements requiring placing in bronze, silver and gold, they can be tedious. 

The wiki is our friend. 

Edited by Widebody.5071