Armor sets instead of outfits! [Merged]

Wensy.1236

Why is the new Dark Tyrant Appearance outfit? Can you please stop making outfits instead of armor sets?

It would be nice to turn old outfits into armor sets over time. And give us option to make appearance sets and set favorites and let it select as random. (same as outfits)

• Like 9
  • Confused 5

While I also significantly prefer armours, Arenanet stated very early in the game's life that they want to prioritize saving resources by creating outfits over armours.

Seeing how they keep tightening the leash on their resources while charging near full price, I doubt that stance has changed all that much.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

While I also significantly prefer armours, Arenanet stated very early in the game's life that they want to prioritize saving resources by creating outfits over armours.

Seeing how they keep tightening the leash on their resources while charging near full price, I doubt that stance has changed all that much.

Nah it was public outcry that all the new armors got into the gemstore so Anet decided outfits would be gemstore and armors ingame.

After that armor skin development got slashed 95%

• Confused 2

I prefer armour sets as well, but we do get some. There were 2 complete sets released with SotO (Astral Ward and Rift Hunters) and a few standalone pieces and there's apparently 2 more coming. I suspect over time the Sanctified armour in the Wizard's Vault will get to be a full set as well.

Apparently outfits are easier to make than armour skins, I assume because they don't need to work as seperate pieces or fit together with anything else so Anet makes more of them, and players complained years ago about all the new armour skins going into the gem store so they made a rule that armour goes in-game and outfits in the gem store. (Although we have gotten a few new gem store armour sets since then, mostly released a piece at a time over years, so maybe they've changed that rule.)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Has been requested and discussed many times.  A quick forum search would yield those threads. Basically, it is much easier for Anet to make outfits.  An armor set (just one!) can take up to nine months to create whereas outfits are much faster (and cheaper), thus allowing Anet to produce more of them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

They have already stated that they won't mix/match armor weights due to clipping and other issues.  Again, a simple forum search would find this.

We all know that. The point of this post is to (constatly) show that we want armor not outfits. Event if its more work. Who care about mix/match and clipping? Players will combine what goes well together.. One piece or armor gives you more total visual appearance options than several outfits because you can combine it.

For example the new outfit is cool. But if you could take the shoulder skin and apply it to another armor that would be cool. Not to mention lots of players would take the bottom part to match it to some nice human female top.

• Confused 3

Obviously Anet cares.  If they were to allow mixing of armor weights, and it looked horrible, the negative reactions could be detrimental to the game and their bottom line.  Also, the competitive community cares because they have said mixing armor weights could make it more difficult to recognize their opponent's possible profession thus giving unfair advantages.

But all of this is nothing new.  It has been suggested before, multiple times, and this discussion has been had.  Please use the forums search to read them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Obviously Anet cares.  If they were to allow mixing of armor weights, and it looked horrible, the negative reactions could be detrimental to the game and their bottom line.  Also, the competitive community cares because they have said mixing armor weights could make it more difficult to recognize their opponent's possible profession thus giving unfair advantages.

But all of this is nothing new.  It has been suggested before, multiple times, and this discussion has been had.  Please use the forums search to read them.

Lol why are you still recommending to use search? Didn't you read my post?

I'm well aware of the posts, release streams and streamers discussion. I do play the game from beta. 

Min/max armor weights is invalid excuse. If you care so much about class profession identification why create outfits that completely ignore this fact? Will you be able to create something horrible, yes you would. But so you can right now, you can create complete abominations. Its not that long ago that players were running with turtle with shiny die that not only looked horrible but was literally hurting eyes. That's ok but little clipping is not? And as said before players will chose things that go well together.

The only valid point is extra resources that it take. And my opinion is that is better one good looking armor that 3 outfits. That's why we create this post again and again. To show ArenaNet that there are many players that prefer armors over outfits even et cost. 

Howgh

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

58 minutes ago, Wensy.1236 said:

Lol why are you still recommending to use search? Didn't you read my post?

I'm well aware of the posts, release streams and streamers discussion. I do play the game from beta. 

Min/max armor weights is invalid excuse. If you care so much about class profession identification why create outfits that completely ignore this fact? Will you be able to create something horrible, yes you would. But so you can right now, you can create complete abominations. Its not that long ago that players were running with turtle with shiny die that not only looked horrible but was literally hurting eyes. That's ok but little clipping is not? And as said before players will chose things that go well together.

The only valid point is extra resources that it take. And my opinion is that is better one good looking armor that 3 outfits. That's why we create this post again and again. To show ArenaNet that there are many players that prefer armors over outfits even et cost. 

Howgh

Because you aren't advocating for anything that hasn't been brought up before.  This thread is a non-starter and should never have been created in the first place because it doesn't add anything new to the previous conversations on this topic, which is against the forums CoC.   /shrug

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/20/2023 at 2:43 AM, Fueki.4753 said:

Full price? Now that is a bewildering statement.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

well pof/eod was 30 bucks soto is 25 so yea its nearly full price.

Considering that full price is considered $60 dollars for games generally, well seems a lot of companies are trying to push $70 now, you're really trying to make full price do a lot of leg work there.

Edited by Ravenwulfe.5360
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Ravenwulfe.5360 said:

Full price? Now that is a bewildering statement.

I specifically wrote near full price.

For GW2 expansions, 30€ was the full price. Thus, SotO being a mere 5€ less objectively qualifies as near to said full price.

3 hours ago, Ravenwulfe.5360 said:

Considering that full price is considered $60 dollars for games generally, well seems a lot of companies are trying to push $70 now, you're really trying to make full price do a lot of leg work there.

Other games are of no relevance, when it comes to comparing the prices of ("mini") expansions within GW2.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

First I want to say that I'm not asking for a refund for anything, I'm just criticising a design aspect I think is silly and should be looked into. I'm also aware I'm not the first person to bring this up, but hopefully more people saying it will increase the chances of the design team seeing it.

I bought the Dark Tyrant outfit the other day. I haven't really used outfits before and I forgot that they are not composed of interchangeable pieces, which is what I wanted it for. I understand the outfits which change your base character model being a single piece, but Dark Tyrant and several other outfits are clearly a collection of individual slot pieces which could easilly be swapped out. The helmet is obviously already separate since it can be hidden, so what gives?

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

The outfits generally have pieces blended into each other, especially the shoulder pieces, so most of the body pieces might be a bit difficult to separate. However, most people do seem to take note of the helmets. It's not an uncommon request for helmets to be granted as a collectable.

Edited by Quench.7091

18 minutes ago, Quench.7091 said:

The outfits generally have pieces blended into each other, especially the shoulder pieces, so most of the body pieces might be a bit difficult to separate. However, most people do seem to take note of the helmets. It's not an uncommon request for helmets to be granted as a collectable.

Perhaps an ideal solution would be "combo" armor skins. That is to say, if an outfit combines two or more slots, such as the body and shoulders, then you could have a cosmetic that fills only those slots and leaves the rest open.

Unfortunately, it does seem pretty unlikely that a system like that would be added to the game at this juncture. In my opinion, GW2 has very good customisation options on the whole, I would just like to see some needless restrictions removed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, benjamin.2497 said:

Perhaps an ideal solution would be "combo" armor skins. That is to say, if an outfit combines two or more slots, such as the body and shoulders, then you could have a cosmetic that fills only those slots and leaves the rest open.

Unfortunately, it does seem pretty unlikely that a system like that would be added to the game at this juncture. In my opinion, GW2 has very good customisation options on the whole, I would just like to see some needless restrictions removed.

There are actually some armor pieces that can combine multiple wardrobe slots together into one. Most notably the Bear Ceremonial set of armor. That set combines the chest, shoulders, and gloves into the chest slot! I don't think it's an impractical suggestion for certain outfits to provide wardrobe skins that do something similar. That Bear Ceremonial set is basically half an outfit! Pretty nifty.

Only problem is we don't really know how plausible this route is with all these outfits. Only them developers know. All I know is that I would love being able to mix things up more!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quench.7091 said:

There are actually some armor pieces that can combine multiple wardrobe slots together into one. Most notably the Bear Ceremonial set of armor. That set combines the chest, shoulders, and gloves into the chest slot! I don't think it's an impractical suggestion for certain outfits to provide wardrobe skins that do something similar.

Oh, interesting! Maybe it's not so unrealistic then. Though, I'm not sure there's a more direct way to make such a suggestion than this forum, so I suppose we're at the mercy of the devs here.