Do we not get SOTO for free like the other expansions...?

andjo.9285

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I genuinely am confused. I bought the expansion packs a long time ago, the HoT/PoF combo, and since then I've had free access to every release after that, all the living world seasons, Icebrood Saga, EoD, all that jazz. My question- is Secrets of the Obscure NOT free anymore? Is that changing with that??

I'm pretty sure I'm encountering the glitch other people mentioned where I started playing it and then it said the maps aren't available to me after I went to the lookout tower in the first chapter. I just wanna make sure that's what's going on because that wasn't the case for the previous expansions for me.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 15

From what I understood it was usually the other way round - you get an older expansion for free if you buy a newer one, like you buy Path of Fire and get Heart of Thorns with it. I can't remember End of Dragons being free after buying Path of Fire.

The only things that used to be free were the Living World seasons / Icebrood Saga if you logged in when they were released or re-released. Expansions were never free on release.

• Like 2

Just now, joerginger.4730 said:

From what I understood it was usually the other way round - you get an older expansion for free if you buy a newer one, like you buy Path of Fire and get Heart of Thorns with it. I can't remember End of Dragons being free after buying Path of Fire.

The only things that used to be free were the Living World seasons / Icebrood Saga if you logged in when they were released or re-released. Expansions were never free on release.

Well... that's weird because that's definitely what happened to me. I purchased the HoT/PoF combo before Icebrood saga came out, and I never paid for anything after that but I absolutely did play through everything that's been released since then. Including EoD. So idk what to tell ya.

• Confused 8
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, andjo.9285 said:

it said the maps aren't availabe to me after I went to the lookout tower in the first chapter

This is apparently a bug with SotO.  Players who have not purchased the expansion are able to start the first part of the SotO story on characters who have just finished EOD in the story journal.  It doesn't happen on characters that try to skip ahead in the story journal.  This makes it extremely confusing to players.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, andjo.9285 said:

Well... that's weird because that's definitely what happened to me. I purchased the HoT/PoF combo before Icebrood saga came out, and I never paid for anything after that but I absolutely did play through everything that's been released since then. Including EoD. So idk what to tell ya.

Living Story and Icebrood Saga content is mostly free if you logged in when it was first released.  Newer accounts have to purchase it separately.

5 hours ago, andjo.9285 said:

Yeah that's what I thought. End of Dragons was also free for me. So I guess SOTO is different from that and it's not free no matter what?

SOTO is not different, the point is that if you have played EoD without buying it... well, be grateful for the gift because you shuldn't be able to 😂

HoT is a paid expansion.

PoF is a paid expansion that includes HoT (the previous expansion, not the next one)

EoD is a paid expansion sold individually or as part of a bundle that includes the 3 expansions, what makes no sense if EoD were free with the previous one.

SOTO is paid expansion sold individually.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, andjo.9285 said:

That is super weird. I definitely didn't buy it and I don't know anyone that would have gifted it to me. Maybe I got it through a glitch...?

Well. At least I got my answer. Thanks folks.

Someone else didn't have access to your account and they purchased it, did they?

7 hours ago, Akronox.8251 said:

I do not believe you got EoD for free because of a glitch, you should be able to find your back your key.

Are you sure you didn't buy the pack with all expansions?

You should also be able to find back in your mail the receipt of the transactions.

I literally already said I bought the expansions before EoD came out. I don't know what to tell you. Either way, that wasn't the point of this post, and I got my answer, so I'll just leave this to your speculation I guess.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, andjo.9285 said:

Nope

Nope. Just me. Must have been a glitch.

Maybe, but it would be one of the first times in 11 years I've seen that anyone has reported such a glitch.  Does your account by chance have the Shing Jea Mosaic Cape unlocked?

HoT and PoF were first bundled together in Sept 2019 in preparation for the release of Icebrood Saga.  EoD became available for pre-purchase in July 2021 at which time it was sold together with HoT and PoF as a "collection".  In that same year, 2021, Anet ran the "Return to Living World" event which unlocked all the past Living World content for free for accounts that logged in during event weeks.  Prior to that summer, only accounts that had logged in during the original release of Season 2 back in 2014 would have had free access to Season 2, for example.

• Like 5

On 10/1/2023 at 5:18 PM, andjo.9285 said:

I literally already said I bought the expansions before EoD came out. I don't know what to tell you. Either way, that wasn't the point of this post, and I got my answer, so I'll just leave this to your speculation I guess.

As someone mentioned you could buy the expansion pack before EoD actually released.

And it is not because you typed literally something that I should take it at face value.

It is also rich to talk about speculation when you're the one coming with the unrealistic claim. It could be no speculation if you just tried to find out the truth, that's what you could tell me.

Can I also point out the irony of mentioning buying at least some of the expansions and wonder why they are not suddenly free?

I suspect this was a case of a pre-order bundle with PoF and HoT. Seems the most likely explanation. What Chaba said would also explain how you could have got the living story stuff free around the same time the pre-order bundle was available.

As for SotO, it is definitely not free and anything you managed to play without purchasing it was 100% a bug.

On 9/30/2023 at 1:15 AM, andjo.9285 said:

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I genuinely am confused. I bought the expansion packs a long time ago, the HoT/PoF combo, and since then I've had free access to every release after that, all the living world seasons, Icebrood Saga, EoD, all that jazz. My question- is Secrets of the Obscure NOT free anymore? Is that changing with that??

I'm pretty sure I'm encountering the glitch other people mentioned where I started playing it and then it said the maps aren't available to me after I went to the lookout tower in the first chapter. I just wanna make sure that's what's going on because that wasn't the case for the previous expansions for me.

HoT, PoF, EoD, SotO  are expansions

Living world, ice brood saga ect are content within expansions. Please remember SotO Is also a 4 part release and they have only released 1 part next one comes feb/Mar iirc

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

I suspect this was a case of a pre-order bundle with PoF and HoT

I suspect it's actually a troll post. 

But in case it's not a troll post... then it just means he most likely pre-purchased expacs with a bundle in 2021 and wasnt even aware that EOD is included. And now he's of the impression that other expansions are for free. Easy, case solved.

Edited by Carnifex.3275
  • Like 1

So OP is saying that he bought the PoF expansion that's bundled with HoT (free) and somehow he got free EoD expansion as well when it was released and he is certain that he didnt buy it and now he wants to know why SotO is not free too? Definitely it slipped his mind when he bought it or was gifted with EoD from someone, otherwise... I want a refund for the EoD I purchased with cash ANet.

And the answer to the question is No we do not get a new expansion for free when we buy an older one. Common business sense.

Edited by Sugar Min.5834
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1