[sPvP] Current State of WB

Saiyan.1704

The last time I posted a build update felt like 3 months ago, but it wasn't even a full month. Sheesh time really flies!
This is my new build.--- Zeal/Radiance

[My Background]
I've been playing this game pretty much since launch on JUST Guardian and JUST PvP.... imagine 12 years worth (off and on) of just playing a single class in PvP... i've attempted to multiclass but I just get bored and hop back on Guardian lol... some people call it a curse XD. This season, I'm currently top 25 on this main account. I have stayed between plat1 and plat2 on my second account with well over 155 games played using a mixture of different WB builds. I can honestly say I can make any account or play any account, between start of season to mid of season and climb to plat1+ on just Willbender alone. I've even made it to Plat during the OP signet cata era and Ranger meta. It goes to show that if you play Ranked long enough, smart grind hard enough and you know your class well enough, you'll be able to overcome what ever flavor-of-the-month meta this game throws at you. Even IF you're labeled as "worse class" in the game.

[How Wb Feels in Ranked]
To be honest, WB feels fine in random Ranked Queue and I know a lot of people wants to throw stones at me for saying that. I know because 99% of players just laugh at Willbender when they see one on their team. They facepalm when they take a glance at my build because it's so very different compared to "the meta" WB Zerk Virtues build that everyone and their mothers like to run. Yet i've been climbing in Ranked pretty well for the last few Conquest pvp seasons, even before Signet of Resolve was buffed. This season being literally the best season I ever had. If I don't get top25 title, then it just isn't going to happen ever. Either ways, the season has been good enough for me to warrant a standalone thread to showcase the build and my overall thoughts on Willbender. I will say there is an outstanding help-cry of people asking for Guardian buffs and I'm one of those people. We really need buffs in PvP and that's not even a sarcastic joke. I am very curious how Anet is going to handle the next balance patch.

[How I'm Anywhere Near Plat2 Let Alone Plat1]
I farm low ranked Engi/Chrono/Necro/Thief/Ranger/Ele. As awkward as it sounds, that's the only reason WB can hit Plat1 or higher. I even win against some Warriors 1v1 even though I'm not even the best side-noder 1v1 build in the game. In fact WB is probably one of the worse 1v1 classes in the game if we're talking about skill vs skill. It literally shouldn't win a single 1v1 on sidenoder even vs a thief. This is one of the main reasons why we could use some buffs, because we are not the best roamers and we are certainly not the best side-node class. To put it extremely simple, there's a lot of players in Ranked PvP that don't play this game to its 100% efficiency, mechanically wise. If this game had 1000 pro PvP players daily who are Plat1 minimum, i would be rank #700 out of those #1000 players (#1 being the best) and that's giving me a lot of credit even though I have played this game for a long while. I'm just a try-hard casual that drinks beer and plays Ranked pvp, but is efficient enough to pick that 1 class out of 5 for me to farm. I probably have an average K/D ratio of 15kills, 3 deaths per game... if that's even a relatable marker. Anything that is 5deaths or higher in ranked means you're having a very bad game.

[About The Build]
I love Feel My Wrath as an elite instead of RF, and Zeal instead of Virtues, and Focus and off-hand Sword instead of GS.

People cringe when they see my build but it honestly farms when it farms and every aspect of the build has a purpose, all the way down to Cleanse + Purge sigils on Sword/Focus.
Focus#4 -- everytime it deals a single hit to a person it restarts my Fireworks relic. This gives a higher uptime of Fireworks compared to Brawler relics.... that and F3 for some unknown reason also procs Fireworks Hotfixed. Overall though, the build is dependent 100% on [Fury] + [Resolution] for damage. It takes a very high degree of boon awareness and/or utility awareness to do any damage to any person. Off-hand Sword is a necessity even if you want to swap it out. Same goes for Save Yourselves and/or FMW for max fury/reso uptime. There are other trait changes and utility changes to make GS and Renewed Focus work on this Valks build but i'm not gonna talk about those build variances

All that said, the build has the same weaknesses as every other WB build. Cata/War/Virtuoso/Specter/(Vindi sometimes) can farm us. We are only effective if we are able to land hits. If we unload on some one who is invulnerable, we basically lose before the fight has even started. We lose because there is very little utilities to peel away (we don't have superspeed nor stealth) and very little sustainable items outside of F3 for us to comeback with another clutch burst BUT thanks to FMW's low cooldown compared to Renewed Focus, we MIGHT be able to land another clutch play. Renewed Focus elite is awesome in that you get another F3 but you could just end up hitting another brick wall of dealing 0 damage where a much needed quicker burst with your team could have helped. That and the incredibly long CD on RF is just crippling when quickly rotating around the map. In my opinion FMW just feels better. Both Willbender builds takes a high degree of mechanical ingenuity to make work past Plat1 leagues so there's no reason to argue if whether one meta build is better than the other.

Edited by Saiyan.1704
  • Thanks 2

On 10/1/2023 at 11:26 PM, jayson.6512 said:

Why do you use Zelous Blade if you are not running GS?

I don't like the idea of condi on WB or condi coverages, that includes Furious Focus. Secondly the way this builds plays, you won't reap the benefits of that extra vulnerability. By the time you go through your entire rotations in 3seconds thanks to FMW, you have maybe applied 3 vulnerable stacks from the trait. I rather gain 120power to increase my initial burst output. That thought process is also the reason why I picked Fiery Wrath instead of another trait that may yield more damage over time. This is a burst build through and through. 

Edited by Saiyan.1704
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

3 questions for ya:

1. Did you mean scepter + off hand sword? It says focus, and I'm new to WB so wanted to make sure.

2. Do you make any WB gameplay vids?

3. How do you deal with projectile based classes in WvW like deadeye?

Thanks for sharing all the info you've given so far!

On 10/14/2023 at 9:34 AM, Mhina.1827 said:

3 questions for ya:

1. Did you mean scepter + off hand sword? It says focus, and I'm new to WB so wanted to make sure.

2. Do you make any WB gameplay vids?

3. How do you deal with projectile based classes in WvW like deadeye?

Thanks for sharing all the info you've given so far!

I use Scepter + OH Sword and Sword + Focus, sorry for the confusion. A WvW build is going to differ compared to this spvp build. I've thought about making vids but wasn't sure if that was in demand. I'm not a content creator but... 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saiyan.1704 said:

I use Scepter + OH Sword and Sword + Focus, sorry for the confusion. A WvW build is going to differ compared to this spvp build. I've thought about making vids but wasn't sure if that was in demand. I'm not a content creator but... 🤔

My WB build for WVW actually used those same weapons, but I used sw+sw and sc+fo. The traits and prefixes were probably different though. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, EnderzShadow.2506 said:

What did you do to your font? Do you want people to read this?

I have no idea ;_; I havent figured out a font change option in edit. I'm thinking I copied and pasted it from my notes or something and it brought the font with it >_<...

edit: I think gamers over 35yo will appreciate the bigger font though lol!

Edited by Saiyan.1704

4 hours ago, Saiyan.1704 said:

I have no idea ;_; I havent figured out a font change option in edit. I'm thinking I copied and pasted it from my notes or something and it brought the font with it >_<...

edit: I think gamers over 35yo will appreciate the bigger font though lol!

I should of been more clear, Im old af boi 😛
its not the size, its that very feint grey. I gave up on reading, invisible wall of text crit me haha

3 hours ago, EnderzShadow.2506 said:

yes. It's Half as dark as anyone elses text.

When i logout, I can see what you mean it is indeed light text. I tried to copy-paste in an attempt to reset the font/color but it looks the same. That's so very strange.... thanks for the heads up though!!

On 10/1/2023 at 6:07 AM, Saiyan.1704 said:

The last time I posted a build update felt like 3 months ago, but it wasn't even a full month. Sheesh time really flies!
This is my new build.--- Zeal/Radiance

[My Background]
I've been playing this game pretty much since launch on JUST Guardian and JUST PvP.... imagine 12 years worth (off and on) of just playing a single class in PvP... i've attempted to multiclass but I just get bored and hop back on Guardian lol... some people call it a curse XD. This season, I'm currently top 25 on this main account. I have stayed between plat1 and plat2 on my second account with well over 155 games played using a mixture of different WB builds. I can honestly say I can make any account or play any account, between start of season to mid of season and climb to plat1+ on just Willbender alone. I've even made it to Plat during the OP signet cata era and Ranger meta. It goes to show that if you play Ranked long enough, smart grind hard enough and you know your class well enough, you'll be able to overcome what ever flavor-of-the-month meta this game throws at you. Even IF you're labeled as "worse class" in the game.

[How Wb Feels in Ranked]
To be honest, WB feels fine in random Ranked Queue and I know a lot of people wants to throw stones at me for saying that. I know because 99% of players just laugh at Willbender when they see one on their team. They facepalm when they take a glance at my build because it's so very different compared to "the meta" WB Zerk Virtues build that everyone and their mothers like to run. Yet i've been climbing in Ranked pretty well for the last few Conquest pvp seasons, even before Signet of Resolve was buffed. This season being literally the best season I ever had. If I don't get top25 title, then it just isn't going to happen ever. Either ways, the season has been good enough for me to warrant a standalone thread to showcase the build and my overall thoughts on Willbender. I will say there is an outstanding help-cry of people asking for Guardian buffs and I'm one of those people. We really need buffs in PvP and that's not even a sarcastic joke. I am very curious how Anet is going to handle the next balance patch.

[How I'm Anywhere Near Plat2 Let Alone Plat1]
I farm low ranked Engi/Chrono/Necro/Thief/Ranger/Ele. As awkward as it sounds, that's the only reason WB can hit Plat1 or higher. I even win against some Warriors 1v1 even though I'm not even the best side-noder 1v1 build in the game. In fact WB is probably one of the worse 1v1 classes in the game if we're talking about skill vs skill. It literally shouldn't win a single 1v1 on sidenoder even vs a thief. This is one of the main reasons why we could use some buffs, because we are not the best roamers and we are certainly not the best side-node class. To put it extremely simple, there's a lot of players in Ranked PvP that don't play this game to its 100% efficiency, mechanically wise. If this game had 1000 pro PvP players daily who are Plat1 minimum, i would be rank #700 out of those #1000 players (#1 being the best) and that's giving me a lot of credit even though I have played this game for a long while. I'm just a try-hard casual that drinks beer and plays Ranked pvp, but is efficient enough to pick that 1 class out of 5 for me to farm. I probably have an average K/D ratio of 15kills, 3 deaths per game... if that's even a relatable marker. Anything that is 5deaths or higher in ranked means you're having a very bad game.

[About The Build]
I love Feel My Wrath as an elite instead of RF, and Zeal instead of Virtues, and Focus and off-hand Sword instead of GS.

People cringe when they see my build but it honestly farms when it farms and every aspect of the build has a purpose, all the way down to Cleanse + Purge sigils on Sword/Focus.
Focus#4 -- everytime it deals a single hit to a person it restarts my Fireworks relic. This gives a higher uptime of Fireworks compared to Brawler relics.... that and F3 for some unknown reason also procs Fireworks Hotfixed. Overall though, the build is dependent 100% on [Fury] + [Resolution] for damage. It takes a very high degree of boon awareness and/or utility awareness to do any damage to any person. Off-hand Sword is a necessity even if you want to swap it out. Same goes for Save Yourselves and/or FMW for max fury/reso uptime. There are other trait changes and utility changes to make GS and Renewed Focus work on this Valks build but i'm not gonna talk about those build variances

All that said, the build has the same weaknesses as every other WB build. Cata/War/Virtuoso/Specter/(Vindi sometimes) can farm us. We are only effective if we are able to land hits. If we unload on some one who is invulnerable, we basically lose before the fight has even started. We lose because there is very little utilities to peel away (we don't have superspeed nor stealth) and very little sustainable items outside of F3 for us to comeback with another clutch burst BUT thanks to FMW's low cooldown compared to Renewed Focus, we MIGHT be able to land another clutch play. Renewed Focus elite is awesome in that you get another F3 but you could just end up hitting another brick wall of dealing 0 damage where a much needed quicker burst with your team could have helped. That and the incredibly long CD on RF is just crippling when quickly rotating around the map. In my opinion FMW just feels better. Both Willbender builds takes a high degree of mechanical ingenuity to make work past Plat1 leagues so there's no reason to argue if whether one meta build is better than the other.

It to sound rude,  but it's def gonna sound rude, no one really cares how long you played.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, porkchopMCgee.6193 said:

It to sound rude,  but it's def gonna sound rude, no one really cares how long you played.

Lol no offense taken. I only added that portion because there's a lot of newer players joining the game. There are probably other items in my Stephen King novel of a post that are for sure irrelevant but what's the fun in that? Sometimes players appreciate context and their interests don't have to align with yours.

But hey if you subscribe and follow, I'll talk about my morning routine of mirror gazing for 15minutes prior to queueing. If you're lucky, I may even tell you what my favorite color is 🤌

43 minutes ago, Saiyan.1704 said:

Lol no offense taken. I only added that portion because there's a lot of newer players joining the game. There are probably other items in my Stephen King novel of a post that are for sure irrelevant but what's the fun in that? Sometimes players appreciate context and their interests don't have to align with yours.

But hey if you subscribe and follow, I'll talk about my morning routine of mirror gazing for 15minutes prior to queueing. If you're lucky, I may even tell you what my favorite color is 🤌

Ima go with blue, 🟦