Is catalyst a better DPS dealer now in WvW than Berserkers?

PrinceValentine.9320

no, berserkers are much better.

staff ele can have a big presence in area-constrained fights like lord's room & chokepoints but outside of that it's mostly luck (and lack of commander awareness) that dictates how much of your meteor storm will land.

also staff weaver has much higher damage than staff cata because better/more accessible modifiers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MarzAttakz.9608 said:

Watched on my phone so couldn't see clearly.

Fire/Air/Catalyst 233 with Marauder + Eagle runes + Force & crit Sigil?

fire/air/cata 212 depending on setup scholar or eagle runes, force + impact.  I have a full zerker setup and a marauder/dragon mix setup, each use scholar and eagle respectively.

The idea is to reduce crit chance so that you have 100% crit only when you are at 10 empowerment stacks aka +20% all stats and need to do some aura precomboing/cc to guarantee the 10 stacks.

You will see in the vid i most often begin the combo in water -> earth -> air to build up all of my stacks before meteoring

If done right you should be dropping meteor showers with +50% dmg +20% all stacks

(7% fireworks relic + 10% persisting flames + 10% aura stacks + 15% relentless fire + 5% force sigil + 3%-7% impact) = 50-%54% and then add on +20% all stats AND  you have 2 meteors lol

Weaver you are getting 7% fireworks relic +10% persisting flames + 10% swift revenge + 5% elements of rage + 5% force sigil + 3%-7% impact = 40%-44% 

2 minutes ago, Jski.6180 said:

@PelloJello.8241

They sure like to stand still for you to stack dmg effects on them hehe. I would think glyph of storms is better if your fighting targets that are able to move some.

Oh yea glyph vs frost bow is user preference.  I've been using frost bow because it spikes higher in arcdps and im chasing personal bests instead of easier use lol.  After many months of grinding this build I find the most important skill is positioning and knowing when to begin the precombo.  With the right positioning you don't need to be fancy, like the 3:13 fight where I literally don't move once.

Catalyst will get outdamaged most of the time but honestly it is still better dps:

• Static Field, Earth Line are premium CC
  • Perma AoE quickness, decent AoE fury and might -> Personal damage will be lower, but team will deal much more damage
  • Some stability, ton of protection and resistance
  • In addition to this, can apply decent amount of filler boons such as regen, vigor and resolution

Secret is running Fire sigil for extra jade sphere resource and middle-bottom-bottom traits in Catalyst. Taking purely DPS traits with middle-middle-middle just doesn't work anymore: the Elemental Empowerment upkeep isn't high enough. Of course there are "youtube" builds like what the other guy is linking, but those are relying on getting CC off for the required stacks to pop off. Which can go wrong in many ways from the traits ICD or enemies stab.

Example build: WvW Staff Catalyst  - There are quite many good alternatives but core of the build will be the same.

Weavers and Berserkers will often be slightly higher up on DPS meters but they will die easier and provide much less boons or CC to the team.

Edited by Riba.3271

On 11/9/2023 at 1:51 AM, Riba.3271 said:

Secret is running Fire sigil for extra jade sphere resource and middle-bottom-bottom traits in Catalyst. Taking purely DPS traits with middle-middle-middle just doesn't work anymore: the Elemental Empowerment upkeep isn't high enough. Of course there are "youtube" builds like what the other guy is linking, but those are relying on getting CC off for the required stacks to pop off. Which can go wrong in many ways from the traits ICD or enemies stab.

Being consistent with stacks isn't a worry. Just casting Water 4, 2 -> Earth 3, 3 fast gives 5 aura 5 empowerment stacks.  Then you get 3 stacks for entering combat so now you are at max aura stacks, 8 empowerment stacks, literally just 1 cc needs to land.  BUT thats not all, if you place out earth 2 when doing the rest of your combo thats another combo triggering an aura, 5 aura, 9 empowerment stacks.  Over the past month I've noticed maybe 2 fights where I didn't get 10 stacks for the main combo. If you REALLY want 100% 10 stacks, Water 4, 2 -> Earth 3, 3 -> Air Arcane Brilliance (heal blast finisher) = 7 empowerment stacks + 3 for being in combat = +20% all stats every fight.

Edited by PelloJello.8241
Added video

Catalyst Highest damage potential, otherwise I think in most of situations weaver is a bit easier to handle : easy buffs in traits to trigger, more CC and sustain, more swift DPS skills, less dependant to quickness/alacrity...
Then switch to catalyst in structures where you can keep a position easily and do your full rotation rotation against pack of enemies in a corridor, on wall ...

Edited by Zhaid Zhem.6508

• 2 months later...

Absolutely, Elementalists in WvW currently face some challenges that could use improvement. Many players feel that giving Elementalists a bit of a boost could make the overall experience more enjoyable.

People suggest making changes to enhance the Elementalist's survivability, tweaking certain traits or skills to make them more impactful, or introducing adjustments that would level the playing field when facing other classes.

Elementalists should be shine and feel effective in WvW. So, buffing Elementalists might just be the key to achieving that balance.