The LFG is so empty to you because people blocked by you now also make squads they're in not show up in LFG for you

Phoenix.7928

10 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I don't see a problem here. If someone you blocked someone, clearly you don't want to have anything to do with them. Why would you need to see their squads if you have no interest in interacting with them?

People block others for a variety of reasons. I once blocked 3 people because they were talking in map chat in some slavic language and have blocked many people for thinking they were funny and needing others to "enjoy" their immature nonsense. If someone keeps excessively spamming chat with stuff that annoys me, they'll be blocked. I like map chat to be pertinent to what's going on in the game, not to be some idiot's soapbox. None of that would mean I'd not want to be in a squad with them for specific content. In fact, I've never blocked anyone for anything related to personal or confrontational reasons. So, if this LFG behavior is true, it goes way beyond what I intend with blocking people.

Edited by Manasa Devi.7958
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

People block others for a variety of reasons. I once blocked 3 people because they were talking in map chat in some slavic language and have blocked many people for thinking they were funny and needing others to "enjoy" their immature nonsense. If someone keeps excessively spamming chat with stuff that annoys me, they'll be blocked. I like map chat to be pertinent to what's going on in the game, not to be some idiot's soapbox. None of that would mean I'd not want to be in a squad with them for specific content. In fact, I've never blocked anyone for anything related to personal or confrontational reasons. So, if this LFG behavior is true, it goes way beyond what I intend with blocking people.

Well, this isn't going to age well with some people but ... blocking has consequences, regardless of the reason you use it. If someone misuses a tool available to them, they can't really complain they aren't getting the result intend from the design of the tool. The tool doesn't bend to an individuals will to fulfill their own intent. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

51 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Well, this isn't going to age well with some people but ... blocking has consequences, regardless of the reason you use it. If someone misuses a tool available to them, they can't really complain they aren't getting the result intend from the design of the tool. The tool doesn't bend to an individuals will to fulfill their own intent. 

How am I supposed to know and anticipate undocumented functionality? And where can I find the stated intent?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

How am I supposed to know and anticipate undocumented functionality? And where can I find the stated intent?

That has never been the intended functionality of block anywhere, ever. The best block I ever had in a game with a quick two-click 24h block and a "real" block. That way you didn't have to spam your block list for minor grievences and still can silence annoying pricks in map chat, or ragers whispering you, or spammers, or whatever. In general it's absolutely normal to not be interested in someone's insults but still don't mind them as an anonymous drone in some 50man meta train. *Especially* if they're blocked anyway you don't have to listen to their drivel in squad chat. And maybe block people that get baited by them and also start flooding squad chat with inane drivel.

As it is now I have to decide if I want to read someone kittening my mum or if I want to be limited in my ability to participate in social open world squads. I can also close the chat tab, in which case I limit my ability to participate in the current PvP match.

The support ticket asking for an answer as to if this behaviour is intentional or a bug is full is weasle phrasing, indicating that this may indeed be Anet's concious decision.

God have mercy on them of it really was.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

I don't know and frankly, completely irrelevant to my point. 

The block tool is going to work how the designer intended, not how a particular player wants it to work. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5

2 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I don't know but that doesn't change the fact that the block tool is going to work how the designer intended, not how a particular player wants it to work. 

And that doesn't change the fact that having kitten obscure undocumented behavior in addition to the obvious functionality doesn't speak well for the designer.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

And that doesn't change the fact that having kitten obscure undocumented behavior in addition to the obvious functionality doesn't speak well for the designer.

You can PRETEND there aren't ways to determine how something works if you like. 🤷‍♂️

Weird how your inability to determine how the block tool works is SOMEHOW a design issue with the how the block tool itself works. I don't see that connection but somehow you convinced yourself otherwise. 

The other counterintuitive thing is that SOMEHOW people are questioning how the block tool is a feature to limit, by personal choice, with who that player interacts with. I mean, if I were to block someone, it's because I don't want to have ANYTHING to do with that person. Seems pretty obvious to me. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5

5 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

You can PRETEND there aren't ways to determine how something works if you like. 🤷‍♂️

Weird how your inability to determine how the block tool works is SOMEHOW a design issue with the how the block tool itself works. I don't see that connection but somehow you convinced yourself otherwise. 

I guess it's all very obvious. That's why there is absolutely no one reporting different behavior on this very topic. You can pretend that undocumented software features that are described differently based on several people's recent experiences are are a user problem, but in the real world people hold on to more realistic expectations.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

I guess it's all very obvious. That's why there is absolutely no one reporting different behavior on this very topic. You can pretend that undocumented software features that are described differently based on several people's recent experiences are are a user problem, but in the real world people hold on to more realistic expectations.

I would think it is all very obvious because if you block someone, that intuitively means you don't want to interact with them, in any way

The block function works the same for everyone. It absolutely IS a user problem that people are interpreting the tool having different results for themselves.

Again, the reasons people have to block someone are irrelevant here. The block function can't work in different ways because people have different reasons to use it. We don't need a funded expedition deep in the Amazon to figure out how it works. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5

39 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I would think it is all very obvious because if you block someone, that intuitively means you don't want to interact with them, in any way

The block function works the same for everyone. It absolutely IS a user problem that people are interpreting the tool having different results for themselves.

Again, the reasons people have to block someone are irrelevant here. The block function can't work in different ways because people have different reasons to use it. We don't need a funded expedition deep in the Amazon to figure out how it works. 

Yes but just because you have 1 person blocked dont mean you dont want to see the squad they are in with 40+ other people unless they are the commander.

If that is how it works and it dont seem so to me butt others report differently.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

The problem with LFG is it needs a auto system, no one wants to start a group by themselves but everyone is willing to join one already started. So an auto grouping system would be great, you can still form up the old way if you want,  but can also have the ability to auto join groups for metas raids dungeons w/e

• Confused 2

20 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yes but just because you have 1 person blocked dont mean you dont want to see the squad they are in with 40+ other people unless they are the commander.

If that is how it works and it dont seem so to me butt others report differently.

Sure, I get that. I also get that what a player wants has little to do with how something functions in this game.

I mean, putting aside what a person does or doesn't know about how the game works, if the consequence is that people don't see whole squads because they have one person blocked in that squad ... they better be MUCH more careful with who they block or accept the fact that they are going to miss out because of whatever their sensitivities are to these individuals they blocked. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, Obtena.7952 said:

No, it's not and that's not how it worked before. (I still think it isn't how it works now btw, but what you just said is simply wrong)

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

OP has a point. Not being able to see a squad because someone you blocked X months ago has joined the squad is probably stronger than most people want.

LFG needs some improvements anyway (main one for me is that it needs to keep it's state and remember which category you previously had selected), adding a filter on this would seem reasonable. That would allow people to toggle whether they see squads containing people they blocked.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Peregrine Falcon.5496 said:

I have ZERO people on my blocklist and the LFG still looks empty half of the time, so I don't think the blocklist is the cause of that.

If you disagree maybe don't have so many people on your blocklist?

he also don't said which category is "empty all time".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

he also don't said which category is "empty all time".

I also didn't mention the region. From what I've heard LFG in NA is pretty dead, while it's being used all the time in EU, so it's most likely more noticable in EU LFG. Naturally I happen to be in EU and started noticing the new block behaviour pretty soon after SotO when a friend of mine could see a squad that I couldn't and vice versa.

• Confused 2

17 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I mean, if I were to block someone, it's because I don't want to have ANYTHING to do with that person. Seems pretty obvious to me.

Personally, I think the problem with the way it seems to be working is that you can not see a squad as soon as a player you blocked join that squad - no need for that player to lead it. Nothing prevents a player you blocked to join a squad you are in - or are leading. So the logic seems flawed if it was to prevent problems, and at the very least that information should be available somewhere to be able to act accordingly.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Albadaran.1283 said:

There is a lot of confusion here... 🙄

Yeah people don't understand that a Commander blocking you does nothing to stop you from joining the Commander's squad. But you blocking some rando and that one joining the Commander's squad hides the entire squad for you in LFG.

• Confused 5

OP sounds like they're feeling entitled to people giving them their time of day. lol Nope, if I chose to block someone cause I never want to group with that person again, that's completely fair. Get over it or stop being a donkey.

Also, the fact about not seeing a group at all if it contains a blocked squad member just isn't true. The only time you won't see them is when they're the commander/made the lfg post. And even that can fail, I've had times where I still saw the saw their lfg if I had it already open when they posted. So I think the game only checks when you refresh the lfg window anyway.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Xainou.1502 said:

OP sounds like they're feeling entitled to people giving them their time of day. lol Nope, if I chose to block someone cause I never want to group with that person again, that's completely fair. Get over it or stop being a donkey.

Also, the fact about not seeing a group at all if it contains a blocked squad member just isn't true. The only time you won't see them is when they're the commander/made the lfg post. And even that can fail, I've had times where I still saw the saw their lfg if I had it already open when they posted. So I think the game only checks when you refresh the lfg window anyway.

Maybe stop being a donkey. Having a third blocked hides the squad's LFG entry that person happens to be in. Doesn't matter of that person is commandeering or an anonymous drone in a 50 man meta train that you wouldn't even notice otherwise. Having someone blocked as the commander does *nothing* to keep the blocked from your squad.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Phoenix.7928 said:

Maybe stop being a donkey. Having a third blocked hides the squad's LFG entry that person happens to be in. Doesn't matter of that person is commandeering or an anonymous drone in a 50 man meta train that you wouldn't even notice otherwise. Having someone blocked as the commander does *nothing* to keep the blocked from your squad.

You can keep claiming that all you want, but I just tested it today and I'm able to see squads containing the resident meta troll who's been on my blocked list forever just fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Xainou.1502
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1