Please let me make a character in America as a EU player

Kashou.6058

1 minute ago, Kashou.6058 said:

I do not wish to buy a server transfer twice a week.

And WvW players don't want spies from other servers having an easy time getting onto their server. This is made to make WvW better. The number of people who play WvW is far higher than the amount of people who need to play cross server.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

Spies in WvW is a problem that isn't even solved with all the current restrictions, and no matter what you do anyone sweaty enough to care at all about spies in WvW will just make a new account and buy the game even if that becomes a requirement to do it, and furthermore this is only an issue for the 10% of WvW players sweaty enough to give a kitten in the first place.

None of this fixes any of the problems it sets out to do and only makes the game worse and more restrictive for normal players. Great system ArenaNet. It did nothing and only has negative consequences.

So just open up NA to guesting or just make me have to make new characters separately on NA so I don't have to re-buy $75 worth of expansions.

"Just make a F2P account" is a ridiculous retort.

• Like 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

Honestly at this point is there even a reason to still rigidly separate NA and EU? From what I understand we all buy and sell from the same trading post and I recall being able to party and chat with friends on EU even though we couldn't enter the same maps. Ping is obviously an issue and so being placed into region-specific maps by default is sensible, but technical limitations of enabling cross-region play aside for the moment, opting-in to joining a cross-region map should have little or no detrimental impact.

Participating in WvW together might be impossible, but that was often the case even among players in the same region (the 'new' [to me] WvW guild option may have solved that?). And free accounts are probably a bigger threat of "WvW Spies" than cross-region play could ever be.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Kashou.6058 said:

Your opinions are ridiculous and the concept of people being unable to play with their friends because of you is inane.

You are able to play with your friends, just get accounts on the same server.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Kashou.6058 said:

Your opinions are ridiculous and the concept of people being unable to play with their friends because of you is inane.

Hmmm. Essentially you are complaining that you don't like how slow the speed of light is and you want Anet to be able to host a single server for the entire world.

Unfortunately, the speed of light won't increase just because you would like it to. As a result Anet run separate North American and European servers. Bad luck. Physics doesn't care that you are unhappy about it.

• Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

Some people have already explained this. This forum thread may be more insightful for you:

By the looks for things from what I briefly read in this thread it's either technologically not viable, is not currently worth the time, money and resources needed or both.

From the link above (Q and Dev response):

Q: I remember changing servers instantly in GW1, how that was possible then? Different system all together?

A: In Guild Wars character data /is/ actually transferred across the Atlantic and it was a huge source of downtime and disconnects for EU players. It wasn't fair at all and so for Guild Wars 2 we decided it was a better trade-off to have reliable service on the same continent even if that limited the ability to play together somewhat..

.Q: will it be possible to TEMPORARILY guest for free cross-region, to allow us at least a temporary way to play at least PVE with friends cross-region?

A: No that won't be possible - guesting allowed your "current world" to change but didn't do anything with the location of your data - Europe or North America. We have talked about what it would take to play in Europe and have your data in NA (for example) but the cables under the Atlantic are just not robust enough to have reliable database saves across continents.

40 minutes ago, Kashou.6058 said:

Having two accounts is a bad solution because you have to rebuy expansions.

Bad solution for you; good solution for anet. They can either spend millions restructuring their server architecture or sit back and accept revenue from the few outliers who want to actively play all the content in both regions. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

From the link above (Q and Dev response):

Q: I remember changing servers instantly in GW1, how that was possible then? Different system all together?

A: In Guild Wars character data /is/ actually transferred across the Atlantic and it was a huge source of downtime and disconnects for EU players. It wasn't fair at all and so for Guild Wars 2 we decided it was a better trade-off to have reliable service on the same continent even if that limited the ability to play together somewhat..

.Q: will it be possible to TEMPORARILY guest for free cross-region, to allow us at least a temporary way to play at least PVE with friends cross-region?

A: No that won't be possible - guesting allowed your "current world" to change but didn't do anything with the location of your data - Europe or North America. We have talked about what it would take to play in Europe and have your data in NA (for example) but the cables under the Atlantic are just not robust enough to have reliable database saves across continents.

Ok that's fine, so simply let me log in to NA with my account instead with fresh characters there but let me keep my expansions.

This is all very simple stuff.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

Funny to see a link to an old topic of mine. 

What I did to play around this is actually have seperate accounts on both sides.
Yes you have to rebuy the expansions and play through it all again, but at the end it does give you the flexibility you're looking for.

And it's cheaper and WAY more convenient in the long run, simply due to how the system works.
You can transfer to the other side, but (apart from first time moving servers being free) cost gems. 
Not only that, you have a week cooldown, so you are "stuck" on the new server for a week before you can move again.

If you are, like me, really torn between playing NA or EU, then multiple accounts is a solid solution.

I started on NA, but am in Europe. The more I played, the more European people I met that played the game as well. 
Starting a new account from scratch looked daunting to me, but I found a legit solution to speed up the new account's progress.

I started my EU account on NA, where my first account also is located. I did this to speed through some parts, by using Multiboxing (within the strickt guide lines - DO read those if you are considering this!)

I then used my NA main to get the masteries I want fast. tp2friend, Mesmer Portal, etc etc to get the (for new players) hard to reach masteries that a full acount can simply fly to.
Once I progressed far enough (For my personal preference) I used the 1 free move every account has, to transfer to EU.

This all might not be a solution for everyone, but it is for me. 

This friend is worth a tantrum on the forums, but not buying a new account? When you can get a bundle of the expansions for cheap?

Idk man, people have given you good explanations and you just say "don't care". The solution most are proposing will happen much much quicker than the server infrastructure work it would take

• Sad 1