GW2 Sales/Revenue/Earnings Report 3Q-2023

Zok.4956

Just now, Sobx.1758 said:

Link one example of each of the things on your list. Most notably sab w3, infusion wardrobe, wvw improvements (even thought that's pretty vague), improvements to old maps (even though that pretty vague) and added meta events to existing maps.

In case you don't remember your claim we're talking about now, here it is:

I'm afraid you won't be able to do it, so after admiting you made that up, you can move a level down to linking the same with "tons of people" using "this excuse" in regards of what you listed. Because I don't recall those tbh.

lol right

• Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

Just now, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

lol right

Ok, so which one exactly talks about sab w3?
infusion wardrobe?
wvw improvements (even thought that's pretty vague)?
improvements to old maps (even though that pretty vague)?
 added meta events to existing maps?

Where are dev posts there? (and then you were talking about tons of posts on this forum, I see 1 forum link in your post -so did you just google "gw2 spaghetti code" or sth after searching the forum? 😉 )

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Ok, so which one exactly talks about sab w3?
infusion wardrobe?
wvw improvements (even thought that's pretty vague)?
improvements to old maps (even though that pretty vague)?
 added meta events to existing maps?

Where are dev posts there? (and then you were talking about tons of posts on this forum, I see 1 forum link in your post -so did you just google "gw2 spaghetti code" or sth after searching the forum? 😉 )

you said post one comment i did lol so you clearly are lying.  The devs dont acknowledge this and your bosses do a good job at deleting threads.

• Confused 6
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

you said post one comment i did lol so you clearly are lying.  The devs dont acknowledge this and your bosses do a good job at deleting threads.

Please read what you're quoting. What I actually said is this:

42 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Link one example of each of the things on your list.
[Most notably sab w3, infusion wardrobe, wvw improvements (even thought that's pretty vague), improvements to old maps (even though that pretty vague) and added meta events to existing maps.]

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Please read what you're quoting. What I actually said is this:

Perfect example of how topics DONT EXIST, and yet talked about difficulties of rehashing legacy code or improving upon it - try to click the links

https://www.tentonhammer.com/articles/arenanet-and-the-super-adventure-box-controversy

5:06 they mention the technical difficulty of bringing back SAB and working with legacy code and making world 1/2 playable again outside of its original living world release -  this was also a problem with bringing back all of living world season 1.  The legacy code (spaghetti code) is not a new problem and it has been talked about for a long time.

heres a thread i posted about it years ago, with people speculating why SAB was not available for years.  Because of legacy code.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

Perfect example of how topics DONT EXIST, and yet talked about difficulties of rehashing legacy code or improving upon it - try to click the links

https://www.tentonhammer.com/articles/arenanet-and-the-super-adventure-box-controversy

5:06 they mention the technical difficulty of bringing back SAB and working with legacy code and making world 1/2 playable again outside of its original living world release -  this was also a problem with bringing back all of living world season 1.  The legacy code (spaghetti code) is not a new problem and it has been talked about for a long time.

But in that vid, the reason for not doing it listed is... lack of time (6:03-7:03), not really "because of the engine im/possibilities"?

9 minutes ago, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

heres a thread i posted about it years ago, with people speculating why SAB was not available for years.  Because of legacy code.

Similarly, after skimming through this thread, it looks like the actualy guess for the reasoning there was: "They actually can't afford the devtime needed to create Worlds 3 and 4, as they would be taking away people from teams working on the regular game content".
After which any mention of "code" was discussing whether or not chairs already placed within the world required a lot of time to tinker with in order to make them usable by players in an attempt to compare it with time to make new sab worlds. So as much as there's some mention of "code" there, it doesn't seem to be what you're claiming it was, at all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

they mention the technical difficulty of bringing back SAB and working with legacy code and making world 1/2 playable again outside of its original living world release -  this was also a problem with bringing back all of living world season 1. 

And yet the Devs did do that with the Legacy code.  Mind-boggling!

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

And yet the Devs did do that with the Legacy code.  Mind-boggling!

oh he wanted me to prove that the legacy code was an obstacle to making new content, and i did, they said it was difficult for years until they put a ton of dev time in it to "BRING IT BACk" since they couldnt just make it appear.  SO i clearly proved that.  THey also have justified it in posts and interviews (now deleted) in the past. around 2015-2017, so its still an issue.  Not to mention the entire community (except for on these forums with the 4 of you) acknowledge and are aware of this lol.  BUT NOT YOU GUYS lol  according to the same 4 people the game is fine and has zero problems, as usual, very believable.

too bad i cant get excited about the "anet promise" to make our accounts obsolete once every 10 years and basically wipe them with a new mmo.  HOW FUN, they really care about customers/our opinions/brand loyalty and veteran players

Edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

The recent parts of this conversation are ridiculous (speaking with many years experience in dev and dev teams, but what I'm saying is fairly common knowledge).

There is no 10+ year old ongoing non-trivial software project in the world that doesn't have legacy code.

Good software development teams constantly refactor code where it makes sense which helps keep the entropy at bay but it's a virtual certainty that there will be sections of code which no one wants to touch (unless it becomes absolutely necessary) because they are old, big, complex and fragile (things like SAB which started as side projects and remain side projects are likely to be perfect examples).

Given Anet have successfully implemented DX11, replaced their embedded browser, continue to release new content and continue to make changes to old content (eg the bug fixes to dungeons earlier this year) the evidence suggests their code base is in good shape compared to most 10+ year code bases. Particularly given their ability to keep it running 24/7 and do seamless updates without downtime (which is very impressive).

So yeah, barking up the wrong tree. You don't survive 10+ years with ongoing stable updates if your code base is that bad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

oh he wanted me to prove that the legacy code was an obstacle to making new content, and i did, they said it was difficult for years until they put a ton of dev time in it to "BRING IT BACk" since they couldnt just make it appear.  SO i clearly proved that.  THey also have justified it in posts and interviews (now deleted) in the past. around 2015-2017, so its still an issue.  Not to mention the entire community (except for on these forums with the 4 of you) acknowledge and are aware of this lol.  BUT NOT YOU GUYS lol  according to the same 4 people the game is fine and has zero problems, as usual, very believable.

too bad i cant get excited about the "anet promise" to make our accounts obsolete once every 10 years and basically wipe them with a new mmo.  HOW FUN, they really care about customers/our opinions/brand loyalty and veteran players

Since the game is 11 years old, how are they making our account obsolete every 10 years?  I'd wager most people don't believe Guild Wars 3 will be out for at least five years, making the game 16 years old, but it could be six or seven years.

No one says the game is perfect or has no problems. But linking a bunch of threads of fans guessing about stuff they have no actual knowledge of proves nothing. Before EOD came out, a lot of people said the game was in maintainence mode and there'd never be another expansion. The fact that you want to point to people being fine with the game as somehow being naive or just plain wrong is a you problem.

In the same way that fan bois exist, haters exist too. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle. You being a Debbie downer and trying to prove things by linking threads that are just the opinions of people who have no insider knowledge proves nothing, except for the fact that you're happy to take any evidence at all to prove your point, even if it's not supported by actual facts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

On 5/12/2024 at 5:03 AM, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

Yeah. They are all clearly totally incompetent. It's really bizarre that they have created such a good game that we, and presumably you (at least at some point), enjoy playing?

Inconceivable!

Lot of good ideas, but significantly lacking at long-term planning and having a stable vision for the game. Also, the current team and leadership is different than the one that started developing this game.

Hint: the game has over 10 years and during that time it went through a lot of changes. It having major issues now does not automatically mean that all of those issues were always present. Or that they were present to the same degree. Additionally (and it should be obvious, actually) game having issues (even major ones) does not mean everything devs do is bad.

In all those years GW2 team did a lot of really good stuff. But yes, a lot of it got wasted due to lack of coherent vision for the game (which is a leadership issue).

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

NCSoft was never 'just their publisher'; ArenaNet has been a wholly-owned subsidiary since 2002 (before even Guild Wars[One] was released).

You're right. They were founded in 2000 and in 2002 NcSoft bought them.

That aside, the point I was making is that ArenaNet may not be publicly traded themselves but their owners are, so it comes down to the same thing.

Edited by Gehenna.3625