name already taken

jihm.2315

I avoid this problem by using phrases as names.Not that creative but it spares me the troubles others have with naming their character, if the wanted name is already taken.

some examples of names I use or used:

Kiss out the devilFlawless BulletMostly Miss HitEndure Pain ChainBlood Flows StillMocking JoypillsExcuse My BadI Win This TimeVoluptuous BeingCrazed BerserkValkyries Songbird

@blambidy.3216 said:When that happens. Ether use number characters. Like instead of E use 3. Instead of I use 1. Instead of O use the number zero. Or phonetically spell it out. Or use the Hebrew or Greek name of your name. Or use a nickname of your name. There’s many ways to make your name. Just like spongebob said. ”imaaaaginaaation.” You got this.

No numbers allowed in character names, I'm afraid.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@blambidy.3216 said:When that happens. Ether use number characters. Like instead of E use 3. Instead of I use 1. Instead of O use the number zero. Or phonetically spell it out. Or use the Hebrew or Greek name of your name. Or use a nickname of your name. There’s many ways to make your name. Just like spongebob said. ”imaaaaginaaation.” You got this.

No numbers allowed in character names, I'm afraid.

Well no. He can call himself Jthreeff instead of Jeff.

@Galmac.4680 said:Please no special chars, I hate it so see people have names like "Name", "Nàme", "Náme", "Nâme", "Nāme", "Nãme", "Näme", "Nâme", "Namė", "Namé", "Namë", "Namè", "Namé", "Namê", "Námé", "Ñame", "Ńame", "Ñãmè" (I guess you'll get it now).

You forgot "X Name X".

@jihm.2315 said:seriously its disappointing trying to find a name for your character but cant use it whats the deal with it?me and my neighbor share the same name in real life why we cannot in a fantasy world?

First and last, or just first? While it's not uncommon to share a first name with someone locally, it's a bit less common to share both first and last name. Beyond that, in real life we have several other factors to help people locate and identify a specific person rather than just a first name. Last name, middle name, date of birth, address, fingerprints, dental records, etc.

We don't have these in game, so two characters with the same name would be very hard to distinguish. As others have pointed out, this could cause issues with emailing a character, inviting them to a party or a squad, and so on. As such, the character name is the defining feature, our primary key of sorts, and are required to be unique.

@Arzurag.7506 said:I avoid this problem by using phrases as names.Not that creative but it spares me the troubles others have with naming their character, if the wanted name is already taken.

some examples of names I use or used:

Kiss out the devilFlawless BulletMostly Miss HitEndure Pain ChainBlood Flows StillMocking JoypillsExcuse My BadI Win This TimeVoluptuous BeingCrazed BerserkValkyries Songbird

Fair for some fun chars, but these kind of names won't do it for someone who want to do some role playing.

@Cuddy.6247 said:

@Galmac.4680 said:Please no special chars, I hate it so see people have names like "Name", "Nàme", "Náme", "Nâme", "Nāme", "Nãme", "Näme", "Nâme", "Namė", "Namé", "Namë", "Namè", "Namé", "Namê", "Námé", "Ñame", "Ńame", "Ñãmè" (I guess you'll get it now).

I like it because while I'm not full of myself (as I know I'm not great), I feel glad to know I can at least come up (for the most part) with an original name that I have never had it ever come up as taken except when I was making lame characters during PoF beta/demo weekends/days when I wanted to try out new classes out and their elites.

I was not surprised Relevant Revenant was taken.

My lame-o characters in the HoT/PoF demos were always something like "Super Duper Demo Guy"

Was naming my demo characters Testing DontKillMe

I always make sure that the names I give include my account name somewhere (excluding the numbers) and than give that name a race and or class related prefix or additional.Mesmers: illusionary joker, joker goes shatterGuardian: jokers charred Ian etc etcIt also makes it easier for guildies to know who I am

Well, not only does special accents (not characters, we can't use those) largely get around the problem you're likely facing (e.g. Jihm and Jíhm, hardly anyone would notice the difference), they're also somewhat appropriate at times (e.g. arguably for some norn names), and they also give us the opportunity to create multiple characters with effectively the same name, which can be handy for a number of reasons. The game is better off for having them available, regardless of their abuse by the extreme minority of players: It's not the accents fault it's the players in those cases.

Personally, I think there are far worse names out there in the game than those that generally take the time to use accents in their character's name/s. I'd much rather see the name 'Svétté' than 'Your Mom's Lover' or 'Gamer Guy' or 'K I L L E R' etc etc.

Archived