So like... What is [Heightened Focus] "Supposed" to do?"

DownDrisis.4826

(In both practice and Theory.)

Like, it currently Resets both Berserk mode and Dragon Trigger (actual slashes not stance.) But is this right...? Other traits like [Versatile Power] that say they affect/scale off of Burst skill hit affect Primal Bursts and Dragon Trigger Stance (the F2). I can't imagine that this should be any different. So... what's up...??

Also, in theory. Like what is it for? (Other than maybe helping you spam staff F1 on raid bosses whenever that comes out.) Like is that it? I get that the quickness was to help you "cleave down sub-50% enemies." But there are a ton of better ways to trigger this. Even looking at [Martial Candace] in "competitive" modes. Literally just this trait but more quick / better cd.

If it's supposed to help you double-burst shouldn't there be like, an adrenaline / flow refund component to it? Or at the very least an indicator that it might be up so you could time something like [Signet of Fury]?

I just don't understand where ANet's going for with Warrior. We barely get any explanation for changes during patch previews, and the whole thing seems like a mess. Especially when you start to look even how outdated the "target cap" on old Weapon Skills are... Let alone what they actually do. But that's a separate thread I guess.

It's meant to Heighten your focus, duh. 

In all honesty, it's likely meant to be a buff to the skill for buff's sake, not necessarily meaning anything much. The fact it has a 12s ICD means it still retains the same reason why Heightened Focus was never really picked. It's just not that great of a trait to pick over Axe Mastery and Burst Mastery. 

I can definitely see more use out of it now than ever because at least in Competitive, one may find the use of resetting their Burst skills to finish someone off. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

The purpose is Meme triple Gunflame Builds or triple Arc Divider builds. In reality it is held back by the CD.

Held back by the CD, and also held back by the fact that you can't really control when it activates. It will trigger regardless of whether or not your Burst skills are on CD so you can completely waste its usefulness without meaning to.

1 hour ago, Yasai.3549 said:

It's meant to Heighten your focus, duh. 

In all honesty, it's likely meant to be a buff to the skill for buff's sake, not necessarily meaning anything much. The fact it has a 12s ICD means it still retains the same reason why Heightened Focus was never really picked. It's just not that great of a trait to pick over Axe Mastery and Burst Mastery. 

I can definitely see more use out of it now than ever because at least in Competitive, one may find the use of resetting their Burst skills to finish someone off. 

It would be useful for that if one could control when it triggers, as I stated just above. FC on Spellbreaker is useful for those instances because you actually have control over it. Heightened Focus does not work the same way, and honestly its kind of showing their lack of fundamental understanding of how Warrior even plays in competitive modes.

It's meant to teach you to watch the UI to you use your Burst right before the HP threshold to activate this trait, instead of paying attention what's actually happening on screen. Notably, this goes against what they originally wanted the game to be played like, over 11 years ago.

Originally, Heightened Focus was about giving you higher critical-hit chance for each adrenaline level you were at, which means it offered more critical hits in exchange for using Bursts less often.

In 2015, they changed that to the trait we know today, minus the refresh. In Octobre this year, they added the refresh.

To me, it looks like the change was just "do a random thing to this trait, but don't think to long about what to do", rather then "make this trait something fun and interesting". In other words, it was Warrior business as usual.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

ooks like the change was just "do a random thing to this trait, but don't think to long about what to do

Basically their balance philosophy for the game in general. Half the stuff they add to classes are pointless and the nerfs they dish out are meant to send the players scrambling to find a new build and then the same song and dance repeats.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, WingSwipe.3084 said:

Tried it and got to say that it does not feel like a good traid for it, especially when burst mastery is right there and gives more damage.

SoF -> F2 -> F1 ->BR->F1->F1 as an opener should always proc it, but then those two F1s could have had 7% more damage on each hit and killed the target without needing a third so... Well, the other poor kitten nearby could get an extra gunflame is the first two skill killed the target 🤔

9 hours ago, Yasai.3549 said:

Half the stuff they add to classes are pointless and the nerfs they dish out are meant to send the players scrambling to find a new build and then the same song and dance repeats.

But unlike the other professions, with Warrior it doesn't end anywhere close to half the changes.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Yasai.3549 said:

Pretty sure it's bias at this point. 

I still challenge the balance team to spend at least a month or two exclusively playing Warrior in competitive modes. Maybe then they will see. It isn't so much that Warriors are asking to just run over everything, or to be completely overpowered as a class...we literally just want to be on an even playing field functions, mechanics, and tools access wise to other classes and for it to actually feel fun to play.

I still enjoy Spellbreaker gameplay, dagger shield with greatsword and running Def/Disc/Spellbreaker and I absolutely get wins in against people similarly skilled or those who outmatch me if I play well enough, if not perfectly, but the nonsense I have to deal with on the daily whenever loading up into WvW or the very few times I decide to suffer the grossness that is outdated Conquest is just...frustrating.

And to top it off it feels like ANet is like not even really present with the GW2 community as a whole, outside of the off joke about Rush being a jank mess and them still not addressing if its something they are actually going to fix, because why make the joke if you're not going to at least say you're looking into addressing it? Hm? They acknowledge a visible, widely known mechanical flaw in their game that they have also explicitly said that they want to avoid replicating in similar skills and then just give us nothing about if this 11 and a half year old issue is ever going to be fixed. And Warrior is not even the only class where this stuff happens...

Good stuff. This is why ANet is an unmitigated mid studio at best. 6/10.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2023 at 1:06 AM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

SoF -> F2 -> F1 ->BR->F1->F1 as an opener should always proc it, but then those two F1s could have had 7% more damage on each hit and killed the target without needing a third so... Well, the other poor kitten nearby could get an extra gunflame is the first two skill killed the target 🤔

Thing is that you sacrifice about 35% crit damage for an extra gunflame from a weapon with shoddy hit reg.

Rather have 2 Gunflames that hit with 285% crit and that pierce block then 3 Gunflames with 255% crit where 2 pierce block and the last might have time to pierce.

Also easier to chain the buggy signets if you have less things to press.

On 12/14/2023 at 10:51 AM, Yasai.3549 said:

Pretty sure it's bias at this point. 

I guarantee an Anet dev face tanked a 3-hit Arc Divider combo and then decided to make it their life mission to ruin berserkers from that point on.

The warrior changes and subsequently neglect scream of some personal grudge.