GW2 and other games

Chaos God.1639

What are the other games that can be a good inspiration for the gw2 pvp? Moba/fps/rts games?

I think in moba games your map position can change the outcome of the game. So making gw2 maps bigger and adding teleports or mounts would make it more interesting. Or adding map locations that can make you hidden from the enemy.

Gw2 is it’s own game. Guild Wars 1 is (or rather should be) the best model for it. Card Games are also a good model as that’s what GW1 was based on.

If talking about game modes; Hall of Heroes, GvG, and hell just player generated rules would be a good jump off point

Fun fact, gw2 tried dota, and it failed hard for some unknown reason. This is why anet stopped developing new game modes (outside of population and esports)

• Like 4

they tried to "moba" it in 2015, it's called stronghold, super failed, this game mode has been abandoned since they failed to make it an esport, honestly we're lucky we get seasonal balance updates, i wouldn't expect much more than that, 2017-2019 patches would take 9 month to drop and wouldn't change the meta or even nerf the most op builds enough.

I still think that conquest could work if you just had a map editor.  It's not like conquest is amazing (especially with how shallow GW2's gameplay can be at a baseline), but there are so many variables and design ideas that people could incorporate into custom maps in order to bring out the best of the game's movement gimmicks.  More jump and positioning options build into transitions between points?  Putting points closer together but the transitions have way more movement options, no-teleport zones, and line of sight interruptions?  All three points are the size of Foefire mid?  Make the map more vertical than horizontal?  Remove a game-specific gimmick set to spawn on timers and outright replace it with a fourth point?  Build out a map with angled and sloping height variance in order to keep a bunch of leaps in mind (lets people with free-aim leaps cross gaps and make transitions that teleports can't)?

To stay on the thread topic, though, you probably could make a Jade Quarry mode.  As it stands, the game is likely built best to facilitated a payload mode.  GW2 is extremely blob-centric.  I'm not saying that it would be the most fun thing ever (to play or watch), but I'm just saying that the game is built to run it.

Edited by Swagg.9236
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Buran.3796 said:

Because Stronghold is nothink like a MOBA, and the PvP players refused to play a PvE game disguised in PvP.

So awkward seeing a confuse emote on such an accurate comment...

Newbies: " it has lanes... it has npc's... IT IS A MOBA"

No. 100% wrong for a number of cringe reasons.

A true MOBA has:

• Individual Character or Spec Progression
  • Strategic interchangeable equipment responses to a player's build/spec/equipment when progressing.
  • Strategic tower "defenses" to kite/micro players, from start of game to mid game.
  • Strategic bush/ hedge/cliff/ect.. stealth abilities.. to "ambush" unsuspected players on the map.
  • Equipment gear to COUNTER specific spots in order to prevent ambushes (limited usage).
  • MORE than 1 offensive lane.....sweet jesus...

Stronghold is NOTHING like a MOBA.

It. Is. Not. A. Moba. 

Edited by Saiyan.1704
  • Thanks 3

On 12/24/2023 at 4:32 PM, Khalisto.5780 said:

they tried to "moba" it in 2015, it's called stronghold, super failed, this game mode has been abandoned (...)

Unfortunately, yes. I still love Stronghold tho, I think they could easily make it a really fun game mode with just a few small balancing adjustments (to the map/supply, etc - not player balance).
Would love to see a new Stronghold map too, just to have a bit more variety, but I know it will never happen.

On 12/24/2023 at 2:31 PM, Chaos God.1639 said:

What are the other games that can be a good inspiration for the gw2 pvp? Moba/fps/rts games?

I think Anet/GW2 doesn't need any inspiration from other game genres, actually. Making 2v2 and 3v3 a permanent queue or at the very least add them to the tournament list would already help a lot I think (we had special tournament events in the past where they were added them to the AT list - was very nice imo).
Finally getting 10v10 up and running again would also be very nice or make a dedicated GvG mode. Doesn't need to be within the realm of sPvP tho, I wouldn't mind it as a variation on WvW especially since the current GvG scene already uses WvW maps to carry out their fights. Even if I don't do GvG I actually really want this in the game as an official, ranked mode similar to in GW1.
Which is probably the game they should draw most inspiration from anyway (as mentioned in an earlier comment already). GW1 had a ton of very fun PvP modes and I think they should just revamp them and add them to GW2. The concept for the Jade Quarry from GW1 could be perfectly tied in with the Gyala Delve lore for example. A similar objective as Fort Aspenwood could also be easily integrated within the Echovald Wilds lore and map.

Honestly, I had some expectations regarding new sPvP content for EoD since the Cantha expansion was also the one in GW1 that added a ton of new PvP stuff and I was actually quite disappointend when nothing was even mentioned or patched in later. I think this was also the moment all of my hopes for new sPvP content died completely. Even just making already existing content available at all times (like 2v2/3v3) is probably too much of an investment in sPvP for Anet. I even suspect that NCSoft themselves have put in a block for Anet as all of NCSoft's MMOs have pretty much abandoned their pvp modes. Blade&Soul apparently stopped their esport thing in 2018 or so too and has abandoned the game mode ever since. At least the forum sections in B&S, Aion, etc look similar to GW2's with cries for attention from the devs.

• Like 1