Generative AI policy?

Does the Guild Wars 2 development team, or ArenaNet in general, have a stated policy on using Generative AI to produce or inspire new game content/story/lore/etc?  If so I'd love to see what that policy is.

Has the GW2 team used Generative AI to produce any GW2 content to-date?

• Confused 10
  • Sad 1

The official policy is that ChatGPT is to be used to do all dialogue in future, and then an intern will read over it before adding it to the game. The intern is not to be fed if typos make it to release.

• Like 2
  • Haha 17
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

As far as I know it's never come up. It's mainly websites and games that allow user-created content that need to have a public policy for it.

I assume Anet have internal rules on what tools and processes their employees can use at work, but I don't know why that would ever be publicised.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, GalenWolffit.3842 said:

Does the Guild Wars 2 development team, or ArenaNet in general, have a stated policy on using Generative AI to produce or inspire new game content/story/lore/etc?  If so I'd love to see what that policy is.

Has the GW2 team used Generative AI to produce any GW2 content to-date?

as far as we know they haven't, as they have some of the best and most original artists in the industry. ai-generated art wouldn't work for the game as it has a very unique art style, which is known to be a hand-painted look, and anything artificial would immediately stand out as being uncanny.

if they do use artificial artwork, then its generated from their own existing assets, which is entirely fair.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Based on recent tweets by some of the Narrative team and voice actors from the game, after the recent SAG-AFTRA announcement to allow use of AI generated voices in video games.. it's safe to say they're not fans of AI use. (these tweets are of course 'personal opinions' and offical statements)

Ir's unlikely that the company will come out and make an formal statement or policy over it's use in the game, as those kinda of statements can be damaging to playerbases and shareholders views.

Edited by Parasite.5389
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Parasite.5389 said:

Ir's unlikely that the company will come out and make an formal statement or policy over it's use in the game, as those kinda of statements can be damaging to playerbases and shareholders views.

It could also be confusing, because games have been using some tech which is very similar to currently popular "AI" (including machine learning and neural networks) for decades and have other processes which can produce the same results as some of the 'innovative' uses currently being discussed. For example I've recently seen people hyping up the idea that AI text generators could enable NPCs to react to events in the game, changing their dialogue as the player progresses through the story and even commenting on player choices and how they affected the world. Which sounds great, but also very familiar to anyone who has played RPGs or adventure games because it's been standard in games for decades now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/19/2024 at 6:27 PM, Danikat.8537 said:

As far as I know it's never come up. It's mainly websites and games that allow user-created content that need to have a public policy for it.

I assume Anet have internal rules on what tools and processes their employees can use at work, but I don't know why that would ever be publicised.

Because of the controversy over the use of generative AI trained on other peoples' intellectual property..  would be nice to know if ANet is okay with using that (permissive policy), expressly opposed to using that (prohibitive policy), or apathetic (no policy, meaning it might be used or it might not and even ANet might not know)

• Confused 2

If you're asking about more legal information, I doubt that you will get an answer here tbh. Maybe contacting ANet through a more businessy means might help, i.e. some official E-Mail or starting with customer support.

• Like 3

On 1/20/2024 at 12:00 PM, Danikat.8537 said:

It could also be confusing, because games have been using some tech which is very similar to currently popular "AI" (including machine learning and neural networks) for decades and have other processes which can produce the same results as some of the 'innovative' uses currently being discussed. For example I've recently seen people hyping up the idea that AI text generators could enable NPCs to react to events in the game, changing their dialogue as the player progresses through the story and even commenting on player choices and how they affected the world. Which sounds great, but also very familiar to anyone who has played RPGs or adventure games because it's been standard in games for decades now.

I believe there is a Skyrim mod that make the NPCs respond to you when you talk to them. As in headset and your voice, not predefined lines of dialogue.

It’s only a natural evolution. In the future NPCs might become fully AI driven and indistinguishable from humans.

Playing WvW, I sometimes wonder if we are already there but then always realize haha nah not even AI is this dumb.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2