Just a complaint

I don't get why most mmo rpgs don't carry heros and henchmen like guild wars 1. I remember in guild wars 2 when it was impossible to find a group for doing the dungeons that give you the crafted armor like fractals. Like how you try to team up with some people and they ignore your or don't want you in there group. The hero and henchmen thing makes the games or mmo rpgs friendly to people getting a problem. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 15

Add something that removes players from the equation and you're not playing an MMO anymore, you're playing a singleplayer game which happens to be online with the possibility to replace your own characters with other players.

I have played an MMO that does this, and everyone plays alone, with five alt characters, never interacting with anyone but themselves. The devs wound up creating single character servers in order to have people play the game again because of how ridiculously barren it had become.

Guild Wars 2 has tools to find groups. Most of the content can be run with random players at the click of a button. Open world PvE, WvW and PvP don't even require you group up to play with other people and you will always find others to do things with.

I guarantee you adding GW1's system (which, by the way, is not at all an MMO as even ANet themselves point out) over to GW2 would kill the player population. And I'm not even going to touch on the subject of AFK-botters.

Plain and simply, hell no.

Edited by Dotveg.5108
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

I always liked my heroes in GW1, but i don't think that system will work in GW2.

In GW1 everything except the cities is instanced. Go outside a city and you will be alone (with your henchmen or heroes).

In GW2 only a few things like dungeons and fractals are instanced. Go outside a city and you usually will see other players. I think that adding heroes would only create a mess...

• Like 2

It would be nice for instances. For open world it would just create a lot of lag. GW2 already has technology to hide miniatures when things get crowded. Imagine every player having between 4 to 9 hero followers.

But this is not a bug, but a feature request. Thread should be moved.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2024 at 1:06 PM, Linken.6345 said:

How did it do that failed to list your group?

Not sure. I've just had them ignore me. I don't think my ranger ever got the full set of gear I wanted. On xbox they have a looking for group finder and i've had people ignore me. I've had it happen in guild wars 1 and 2 where they ignore me. I personally think the video game world is broken. That is my next topic.

• Confused 6

In fairness, in GW1 loot seemed split among the entire party, so if you had 4 other human players, they would get that portion of the loot.  Given that GW2 did away with that (5 people could get loot from killing the same monster), one has to imagine something similar would happen if they ever added henchmen.  But given the design is totally different, I just can't see them doing that.  IMO, the AI for monsters (and NPC allies) seems a lot worse than it was in GW1 - that might have partly been so that the NPCs don't carry the player, but if henchman in GW2 have similar low level of AI, I think in general they would be fairly worthless.

On 1/21/2024 at 8:17 PM, Zerin.9834 said:

I don't get why most mmo rpgs don't carry heros and henchmen

Because it's a garbage mechanics killing player interaction. Glad most mmorpgs don't include it.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/31/2024 at 3:28 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

Because it's a garbage mechanics killing player interaction. Glad most mmorpgs don't include it.

Killing player interaction, but what if the other players ignore you and don't talk to you? It will be hard to do dungeons and stuff like that. Throne and liberty just implemented something like this in it's pve. Dungeons where you use a party finder. I recall being told they couldn't find a healer. I played beta and game seemed not entertaining. I see people type looking for group and then ignore people. Or have a group of people looking for more and then they ignore your request to join there group.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

Party finder a good way to get ignored by people and only see certain people get accepted. or if your a healer and they can't find one they will use you so they can enjoy the game. I'm sometimes forced to be a healer because there is a lack of healers and they will ignore you unless you are a healer or if they badly need one. If they don't need healers anymore like guild wars 2 that issue may not occur anymore. Healers get the least amount of fun. I've had people ignore me unless I post i'm healing.

• Confused 4

If the issue is playing dungeons, probably simpler for Anet to make them scale so that a single player can do them (and fix any mechanics that require multiple players).  I don't think Anet will ever do that, but that is probably an easier solution than adding henchmen.

Finding groups for fractals is not that hard, so henchmen are not needed there.  And other harder content is probably never going to be good for henchmen.

1 hour ago, Zerin.9834 said:

Killing player interaction, but what if the other players ignore you and don't talk to you? It will be hard to do dungeons and stuff like that. Throne and liberty just implemented something like this in it's pve. Dungeons where you use a party finder. I recall being told they couldn't find a healer. I played beta and game seemed not entertaining. I see people type looking for group and then ignore people. Or have a group of people looking for more and then they ignore your request to join there group.

Then you must be magically repelling them (but you're not) because people do run that content in pugs, even if it's not exactly crowded.

1 hour ago, Zerin.9834 said:

Party finder a good way to get ignored by people and only see certain people get accepted. or if your a healer and they can't find one they will use you so they can enjoy the game. I'm sometimes forced to be a healer because there is a lack of healers and they will ignore you unless you are a healer or if they badly need one. If they don't need healers anymore like guild wars 2 that issue may not occur anymore. Healers get the least amount of fun. I've had people ignore me unless I post i'm healing.

You're not on "those other games!" forum, so maybe stick to talking about gw2 instead of struggling to find excuses based on whatever other game.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Zerin.9834 said:

People asking for heroes/henchies would immediately start complaining considering how that great feature in GW1 required you to actually have the skills unlocked you want to use on your heroes and if you had to run henchies, good news, most of them were kitten.. looking at you Alesia.

• Confused 1

I also enjoyed hero's, gw2, but i think TheQuickFox.3826 has a nice point.

Instances yes, open world no.

Some smarter npc's in there would also be an option(maybe a better one), like the henchmen in gw1.

Would also make training a lot easyer to see what's going on and not look like a fool going in the first time. 

A lot of dungeons are not played as much as others, so for doing some of those paths would be nice, can also put in some npc's with the intelligence to stand on preasure plates and such.

Also, a nice way to search for chickens mastery in the battleground fractals for instance.

Edited by William O.6409
  • Confused 1