Do you need the Secrets of the Obscure Expansion to get the free Legendary Relic?

I just made my first Rune this morning, and it got me wondering. Do you actually need the SotO Expansion to get the free Legendary Relic?

I can't see Arenanet mentioning anything about it in their post. Does any of you know?

It doesn't appear to be the case, and they specify that in future you'll need to play and unlock runes to add to the legendary rune selection list, but for now it'll behave like all other legendaries, where regardless of expac, you get the full list of stats to select.

Which strongly implies that even without SotO, you'll not only receive the relic, but will also receive SotO relics from the legendary selection list.

2 hours ago, Brandon Uzumaki.1524 said:

Yeah, according to the post, only in the next expansion you will need to own it and unlock the Relics to use them on your Legendary.

this. for core legy its fine probably tho

correct me plz which part i said wrong

Edited by Balsa.3951
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I believe your Legendary Relic will only provide the Relic stats you have already access to. If you don't own SotO, you likely won't get access to SotO Relics.

The blogpost says otherwise.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/legendary-relics-are-coming-soon/

So, for relics only—and starting with the fifth expansion—new relic effects will need to be unlocked within each expansion in order to be accessible via legendary relics.

Legendary relics will come with all Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure relic effects unlocked

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Hmmm. I'm not convinced that you will get access to the SotO relics as it would be against the normal business model. I would have expected SotO relic effects to only be available to people who have bought the expansion. I think that paragraph was mainly trying to explain how in future expansions you won't just need to own the expansion you will also need to unlock the relics in game, once on one character, then you can use it with your legendary relic on any character.

We'll see though.

NOTE: To answer OP's main question (ie in the title) I'm pretty sure you don't need to own SotO to be given the legendary relic for free if you have crafted at least one legendary rune before the cutoff. Relics were added to everyone, not just buyers of SotO. They could still make the Legendary Relic only craftable to SotO owners but I think they would have said by now as it would be a much bigger issue than the small things people are nit-picking about regarding relics.

Edited by Mistwraithe.3106
  • Like 1

Hmm.  I have encountered corporations that fail to mention requirements.  Sometimes the R&D fails to mention an important detail to the customer service reps.  Then customers become upset, customer service is upset, and the Devs don't understand why the bit they forgot to mention wasn't obvious to everyone else. 
OP has a relevant question.  In an ideal world we wouldn't need the expansion when the only requirement stated is that we need to have crafted a Legendary rune, but It may be a requirement none the less.

Someone should probably check on that, just in case. 

After all, even NASA managed to bungle a Mars rover because of poor communication.  (They made the landing calculations in feet, but programmed the landing computer in meters. Assumptions all around, no one bothering to check the units of measurement. One very destroyed Rover.)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1