In defence of kits.

Chloe.3908

While I agree that kits are in dire need of fundamental rework, I don't believe it's going to ever happen. Like, just imagine the amount to work needed here, it'll be like a feature complete game update, like some new elite specs. Anet made Engi too complex for their own good.

As a sidenote, Mech skins. Make it happen.

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Zapgrind.2197 said:

While I agree that kits are in dire need of fundamental rework, I don't believe it's going to ever happen. Like, just imagine the amount to work needed here, it'll be like a feature complete game update, like some new elite specs. Anet made Engi too complex for their own good.

I never understand defeatist views like this saying it would require a complete rework or something, as if ANet has not been doing that stuff already. I mean fundamentally, the Firebrand pages system was a rework of it, the renegade changes coming up are a rework to. This idea that things are sacrosanct and cannot be changed is just not true even on a historical note of the changes going on in the game.

As far as mech skins, yes, this should have been a thing if not with EoD a bit into the cycle of EoD. I would love to have a mech with a wolf like skin, for instance.

Edited by Ravenwulfe.5360

33 minutes ago, Ravenwulfe.5360 said:

I never understand defeatist views like this saying it would require a complete rework or something, as if ANet has not been doing that stuff already. I mean fundamentally, the Firebrand pages system was a rework of it, the renegade changes coming up are a rework to. This idea that things are sacrosanct and cannot be changed is just not true even on a historical note of the changes going on in the game.

I never said it can't be changed, I just believe it will require a lot of work Anet can't really afford right now. There are six distinct kits after all, and each of those needs a rework. Add to that some small stuff like turrets. Maybe they can do one at a time or whatever. Time will tell.

Personally I'm just fine not using kits at all anyway.

Edited by Zapgrind.2197

That kits are a utility skill and are the justification for removing Engineer's weapon swapping is a bit much. It would be much, much cooler imo if kits were actually incorporated into the mechanics of the class. For example, what if all kits were the elite skill and you used F5 to swap into them. Or even better, what if you had a dropdown menu of kits for an F6 skill. Both of these would limit the class to one kit but it would be naturally incorporated into the class, rather than as a utility "option".

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Yaki.9563 said:

For example, what if all kits were the elite skill and you used F5 to swap into them. Or even better, what if you had a dropdown menu of kits for an F6 skill. Both of these would limit the class to one kit but it would be naturally incorporated into the class, rather than as a utility "option".

On a side note, what exactly is so elite about our elite kit? Personally, I would only rank bomb and tool kits below it, if I was to rank them all.

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, NotABandwagoner.9654 said:

On a side note, what exactly is so elite about our elite kit? Personally, I would only rank bomb and tool kits below it, if I was to rank them all.

The elite skill slot isn't necessarily more powerful than utility slots - in a lot of cases, being able to take a fourth regular utility slot would probably be better than having to take an elite, and the best elites tend to be the ones that behave closest to being a normal utility skill rather than being a supermove that finishes recharging on the next blue moon.

Mortar kit fits into that category. One could argue that it's elite due to its range and ability to set up a variety of fields, but it really boils down to 'you're using your elite slot as a fourth utility slot'.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 11:10 AM, Zapgrind.2197 said:

or at least they should have to stop nerfing them

Tool Kit got a hard nerf recently when they removed cd reduction from toolbelt traitline

Elixir gun got an slighly buff but isn't enough, the only worthy skills is 4.

Flamethrower is dead since years, bomb kit even worse and both last anet interaction was huge nerfs

Mortar kit is ok but mostly 'caushe the rest of elite skills are kinda bad (Except holo prism) 

Elixir gun  1 shots should be faster, 2 shot dmg is pretty bad and easy to dodge. Elixir 4 is pretty good but they should remove the jump. Elixir gun 5 is meh for fighters, but for healers is actually good so probly has to be untouched.

Toolkit cds (competitive) should be reduced as its pve version. Toolkit 1 damage is pretty bad for that low range/long cast. 2 cast is also too long, should be reduced. 3 is pretty good on damage, so no buff needed. 5 is also decent.

Bomb kit is pretty, pretty bad, there's no wayto make it good without a rework. The toolbelt skill's probly at the level as racial skills. 

Flamethrower need buffs for condi users

And streamedkits trait (Toolbelt traitline )requires a buff: Longer duration; better effects (instead of ss for toolkit, why not stab?, intead of drop gunk on mortar kit, why not orbital strike? and current orbital strike (only available for core engi) skill could be changed for a more useful one