There's nothing to see in this thread. Move along. Shoo.

5 minutes ago, Luthan.5236 said:

As far as I unterstand it is as explained: The free swapping (without the existing upgrade being destroyed) is for legendary items and tied to their upgrade slot (armor, weapons). Not to the item you use to upgrade (the runes, sigils). Meaning you'd have to use an upgrade extractor. Or a black lion salvage kit if you don't want to keep the base item.

Since the old rune you used is not legendary ... it would not even make sense to tie free swapping to the rune. Then you'd still be able to only freely swap the legendary in but not the old one out ... when the old rune was not legendary.

I'd suggest getting upgrade extractors slowly - from the vault. And trying to aim for at least one legendary armor piece. (Then you can use a black lion salvage kit for salvaging one of your non legendary pieces - maybe get two or so and for the other 10 chars the upgrade extractor. I hope they are going to bring some in the vault in the future.)

For ascended gear, you need ascended salvage kits. And then I'd need to spend weeks constantly farming stuff to replace all my breathers. And even longer to obtain transmutation charges to restore them. Another currency I never have, because I don't have legendary armor and only a handful of legendary weapons (all of which I exclusively got because of their skins).

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

How on earth do you have 60 characters and dont know how none legendary gear works?

Put a rune in a none legendary item => old rune gets destroyed.

Gearing 101.

Personally i didn't even know they existed until i saw one of Mukluks gearing tutorials.

• Confused 4

4 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

How on earth do you have 60 characters and dont know how none legendary gear works?

Put a rune in a none legendary item => old rune gets destroyed.

Gearing 101.

The rune itself is legendary. I assumed it would work the same way my handful of legendary weapons do when I change things.
Excuse me, your highness, for that I'm not physically flawless enough to be able to get one legendary piece after another. Or even a single one that's armor, for that matter. Because that would require normal vision for a start.
I have 87 characters, not 60.

Edited by Robert Calais.8425
  • Confused 8

6 minutes ago, Robert Calais.8425 said:

Stuff that makes playing a game for people with disabilities more bearable.

Killing a group of NPCs every ten minutes or so will eventually give enough currency to buy legendary armor in WvW.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Killing a group of NPCs every ten minutes or so will eventually give enough currency to buy legendary armor in WvW.

I started playing WvW sometime in late 2022. I'm rank 409 now. I'll let you know when I've got the first piece.
Might be a while. I have yet to see an ascended piece.

• Confused 4

3 minutes ago, Robert Calais.8425 said:

The rune itself is legendary. I assumed it would work the same way my handful of legendary weapons do when I change things.

They do. Removing the legendary rune does not destroy the exotic/ascended piece it is in. It's just the other way around this time, you save the armor piece, not the rune.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Robert Calais.8425 said:

I started playing WvW sometime in late 2022. I'm rank 409 now. I'll let you know when I've got the first piece.
Might be a while. I have yet to see an ascended piece.

It can take a while. Best to just play WvW and allow tickets to accumulate without dwelling on it too much. A watched pot never boils and all that. I was not even going for legendary armor until a guild mate asked how many skirmish tickets I had. I honestly had no idea and was shocked, after checking and telling him, when he told me that it was enough to finish two full weight sets and start the third.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

They do. Removing the legendary rune does not destroy the exotic/ascended piece it is in. It's just the other way around this time, you save the armor piece, not the rune.

And that's what I didn't know would happen. The wiki doesn't say this.

• Confused 5

2 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

It can take a while. Best to just play WvW and allow tickets to accumulate without dwelling on it too much. A watched pot never boils and all that. I was not even going for legendary armor until a guild mate asked how many skirmish tickets I had. I honestly had no idea and was shocked, after checking and telling him, when he told me that it was enough to finish two full weight sets and start the third.

I've got exactly 123 skirmish claim tickets right now. And I had Diamond-tier participation every week I played.
I'm not enjoying WvW. Not at all. It's incredibly stressful and it gives me migraine from all the people spamming particle bonanza. More people I've ever seen piled together anywhere in open world content, actually.

• Confused 6

3 minutes ago, Robert Calais.8425 said:

I've got exactly 123 skirmish claim tickets right now. And I had Diamond-tier participation every week I played.
I'm not enjoying WvW. Not at all. It's incredibly stressful and it gives me migraine from all the people spamming particle bonanza. More people I've ever seen piled together anywhere in open world content, actually.

What have you been spending your Skirmish tickets on?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Robert Calais.8425 said:

And that's what I didn't know would happen. The wiki doesn't say this.

Fair enough. It is there in form of omission: aka legendary armor and weapons clearly state the ability to swap out runes/sigils, while the legendary rune/sigil only mentions being able to remove them freely. It is reasonable that one might misunderstand this.

I think the summary firedragon.8953 gave of how the system works is easiest to remember: one of the components has to be legendary, for a free swapping to occur. In case of inserting a legendary rune/sigil into a non legendary+non legendary combo, that is not the case until after the rune/sigil is slotted, meaning one of the components gets destroyed (runes/sigils in case of adding the legendary rune/sigil, armor/weapons in case of legendary armor/weapons).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pinkeh.4207 said:

That is... not a wise use of skirmish tickets. 

Without the mount, it was absolutely impossible for me to keep up and the armor is required, if you want a legendary set.
People would actually insult me for not being able to keep up and asking for commanders to slow down.

• Confused 5

4 minutes ago, Robert Calais.8425 said:

A mount and two sets of Triumphant Hero's armor.

I see.  Well those are cool too. If you stick with WvW the tickets will accrue. That said, ascended and even exotic serve just fine until then. Good luck.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I see.  Well those are cool too. If you stick with WvW the tickets will accrue. That said, ascended and even exotic serve just fine until then. Good luck.

My WvW character does actually wear fully ascended armor that I crafted myself through tailoring. I can't play meta builds (I have to rely on low intensity setups) and I'm slower than most people, so I needed the extra 5% stats.

• Confused 4

Well ... it happens. Others might make other mistakes. And this case is exceptional since the average player gets nowhere close to 60 chars and cares more about functionality - not getting legendaries just for skins. But there are other traps where it is easy to walk into. Where you might lose a lot of money. (For example festival stuff cheap at the trading post cause it directly drops from somewhere. But costing a ton if you buy it with festival currency.)

Wiki states that the legendary runes can be removed from gear of any rarity with an extractor. But this actually means (where easily the mistake is possible - misunderstanding) that the non legendary that is still in there ... can not be removed. (Gets destroyed or has to be removed with other means - upgrade extractor for example.)

You still have the convenience of the rune und when you might want to get other gear later and plan to change builds you can use it there. (Though you probably never change gear and builds if you use 60 chars with the same gear.) Getting the same non-legendary relic might have worked there as well - I guess. Instead of trying to make the rune to get the legendary relic for free when you use the same gear on all chars.

Transmutation stones there are a lot in the game. You must transmute a lot. I have like 1k or 2k from regularly playing. (A lot though from PvP/WvW I think.) And I have more tickets in WvW though my rank is only 370 or so. (They still accumulate a lot slower than the PvP tickets. In PvP the ascended shards of glory are the bottleneck.) For legendary armor the PvP one seems easiest/cheapeast to obtain I think. Might work to play during certain events (PvP, WvW rush) or getting the bonus weekly stuff (WvW) for extra tickets.

Best to deal with the situation. (Extraction devices slowly might be the best idea then - if you barely need them for other stuff when you keep your gear the same most of the time. And the vault gives a ton of astral acclaim to buy almost everything.) With the thing mentioned by others (did not think about this first): People ausing the rune as a way of having a free endless upgrade extractor - I do no think ArenaNet will change anything here.

1 minute ago, Luthan.5236 said:

You must transmute a lot.

87 characters want a change of looks every now and then. New stuff gets added, new concepts come to mind. If I need transmutation charges, I have to actually go and get them, because by default, I always have zero.

• Confused 1

Just now, Robert Calais.8425 said:

My WvW character does actually wear fully ascended armor that I crafted myself through tailoring. I can't play meta builds (I have to rely on low intensity setups) and I'm slower than most people, so I needed the extra 5% stats.

Most players would do better with LI builds in high intensity, chaotic, situations. Only a minority of people can manage intricate complexities under significant levels of stress. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Robert Calais.8425 said:

Without the mount, it was absolutely impossible for me to keep up and the armor is required, if you want a legendary set.
People would actually insult me for not being able to keep up and asking for commanders to slow down.

The warclaw doesn't cost skirmish tickets. You made the mistake of buying the cosmetic skin with skirmish tickets.

Also those armor boxes don't need to be bought with tickets either. You can earn them with reward tracks.

Mistakes happen, it's not the end of the world.

Like the rune issue, doing more research will save yourself money/time.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Pinkeh.4207 said:

The warclaw doesn't cost skirmish tickets. You made the mistake of buying the cosmetic skin with skirmish tickets.

Also those armor boxes don't need to be bought with tickets either. You can earn them with reward tracks.

Mistakes happen, it's not the end of the world.

Like the rune issue, doing more research will save yourself money/time.

I might misremember the warclaw part then. And no, I didn't buy the Guild Rider warclaw skin. I can't afford it. It costs 200 gold.

The reward track for Triumphant armor is what unlocks Triumphant Hero's armor for purchase with skirmish claim tickets in the first place. Which then unlocks the tab with Mistforged Triumphant Hero's armor.
I made no mistake, besides maybe misremembering what the mount cost.
Edit: No, I didn't. The mount armor costs skirmish claim tickets.
Edit 2: I also bought the blue catmander mini. I completely forgot about that.
Edit 3: And crafting recipes that were also expensive as hell and a requirement for WvW legendary armor.

• Confused 4

Well ... it is decisions you made. When you play that many chars it is normal to be low on transmutation charges - if you like to transmute a ton on each of those chars. We all need to live with our decisions. I think there is not much left to talk about in this thread.

Warclaw though needed a few tickets (not many): https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Warclaw_Armor_Bolts
(That item was needed for the collection.) It returne some items though. On consuming it after it triggered for the collection. (And others seem to have given 5 tickets as well.) Net amount maybe +-0 then in total for the Warclaw.

For the legendary in WvW personally I'd use the tickets only when ready to craft the legendary as well. And not buying more ascended just for the gear  - when there are other options to get ascended stuff. (If you want the skins it is a different thing though. Then it makes sense to buy - once per armor weight only.) The tickets are pretty grindy unless you are a hardcore WvW player. (Though a lot in the WvW sub forums claim it is so easy to get a lot making it wanna seem that it is less grindy than getting the PvP legendary armor. They have their ton of extra pips though from their 10k WvW rank and play almost purely WvW anyways.)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Well ... it is decisions you made. When you play that many chars it is normal to be low on transmutation charges - if you like to transmute a ton on each of those chars. We all need to live with our decisions. I think there is not much left to talk about in this thread.

Warclaw though needed a few tickets (not many): https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Warclaw_Armor_Bolts
(That item was needed for the collection.) It returne some items though. On consuming it after it triggered for the collection. (And others seem to have given 5 tickets as well.) Net amount maybe +-0 then in total for the Warclaw.

For the legendary in WvW personally I'd use the tickets only when ready to craft the legendary as well. And not buying more ascended just for the gear  - when there are other options to get ascended stuff. (If you want the skins it is a different thing though. Then it makes sense to buy - once per armor weight only.) The tickets are pretty grindy unless you are a hardcore WvW player. (Though a lot in the WvW sub forums claim it is so easy to get a lot making it wanna seem that it is less grindy than getting the PvP legendary armor. They have their ton of extra pips though from their 10k WvW rank and play almost purely WvW anyways.)

I never said I bought WvW armor to gear up characters. Quite the contrary; I explicitly stated that I crafted my WvW character's ascended armor through tailoring. What little WvW armor I bought, I bought it to eventually get something legendary.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Robert Calais.8425 said:

I said I'm interested in opinions, not insults.

And yet given the "condescending troll" vibe of your posts, insults seem to be all you're capable of provoking. Climb down off that high horse you rode in on, and maybe stop being a jerk with every single response. You might be surprised at how the tone of people's responses will change.

• Like 4