Impostor guilds, what can be done?

8 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Isnt this like naming your character some variation of Legolasss and complaining that someone is copying YOU by naming their ranger Legulasss?

I had the same feeling.. 

Its probably unintended and the person who created it thinks he has chosen a perfect name. 

43 minutes ago, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

I wish guilds could die. I've been looking for The Mesmer Collective since I main mesmer and I think it would be the coolest thing ever. Even made a post in the LF Guild subforums looking for them. No luck. I can't make the guild though because the guild is already in use. So I'm pretty sure, not 100% but I'm pretty confident, that it's defunct at this point. And who knows how long it's been that way. I think if that's the case it would be nice if guilds could time out after so many months or years of inactivity, because I would revive the crap out of that if I could.

I don't think Anet would do that though, because part of the design of GW2 is that you don't lose anything by taking breaks, even for years. If your guild could be deleted because you didn't log in often enough that could mess things up for a lot of people (especially since guilds can be a major investment for players). I suppose it would be slightly lower risk because all the players in the guild would have to be inactive, but it could still happen especially with family guilds and other small ones where everyone is likely to take breaks at the same time.

31 minutes ago, costepj.5120 said:

Could just as easily be someone's personal guild. Mine is called Schrodinger's Cats (I skipped the umlaut) but the only time I "rep" is when I want to access my guild bank 🙂

That's another possibility. Mine is named after a band. It's not a well known band, or one I think anyone else is ever likely to want as a guild name, but it's still a name that's taken by a guild which isn't recruiting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How does the OP know that they were the first ones to create a guild with that name?  Maybe the other guild created theirs with that name when the game launched.  There's also the whole unoriginality of the name that has been brought up by others.

Edited by enigmatic.3576
  • Like 5

Here's an idea: come up with a more unique name for your guilds/characters. The vast majority guilds are named after a bunch of 'try hard' themes like 'lords of the dark apocalypse elite phoenix undying knights of the big kahuna pizza OMGWTFBBQ!!1', so a name like The Mist is, as someone else so eloquently said, the equivalent of being named Dave. In a world of Bobs, Chads, Brents, and Karens, be a Zera.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 2/9/2024 at 8:09 AM, Zera.9435 said:

Here's an idea: come up with a more unique name for your guilds/characters. The vast majority guilds are named after a bunch of 'try hard' themes like 'lords of the dark apocalypse elite phoenix undying knights of the big kahuna pizza OMGWTFBBQ!!1', so a name like The Mist is, as someone else so eloquently said, the equivalent of being named Dave. In a world of Bobs, Chads, Brents, and Karens, be a Zera.

and what if you see "lords of the dark apocalypse elite phoenix undying knights of the big kahuna pizza OMGWTFBBQ!!!1" running around calling themselves you in WvW?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DanielKitchka.4709 said:

and what if you see "lords of the dark apocalypse elite phoenix undying knights of the big kahuna pizza OMGWTFBBQ!!!1" running around calling themselves you in WvW?

That's the thing. They're not calling themselves you. They are their own guild, not impersonating you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, DanielKitchka.4709 said:

Then you can make a thread saying "hey, someone probably made an impostor guild and I don't like it!", after which you'll have to get over it.

• Thanks 2

On 2/14/2024 at 4:52 PM, DanielKitchka.4709 said:

I do what I do to the other players that use my name: "Hello imposter."

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1