useless masteries (un fun maps)

I admit I'm a casual gw2 player, but I have been playing since before launch (gw1 prophecies). I have purchased every single expansion and have been playing off and on since forever. So yes I am a casual player but I also feel like i represent a significant portion of the playing community.  Everytime i see a new mastery track im reminded of that scene of Arrested Development when Buster goes down the slide and his brother punches him and says "next time u do this without getting punched youll have fun." Instead of starting gameplay from a negative punished stance and having masteries mitigate how awful it feels why not just get rid of the masteries and have the default experience not suck. Cause I can tell you flying around the new zone in my skyscale and having millions of turrets in the air shooting me down DOES not make me want to grind masteries it makes me want to LOG OFF and come back in 6 months and see if the new maps dont suck as much. AND i will stop buying expansions giving you guys the benefit of the doubt. CONGRATS on having an EARLY ACCESS expansion. Im not falling for that ever again.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 14
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

With *turrets shooting you down", do you mean them poking you or actually killing you? 

Because the former I could understand when you just wanne play semi afk/explore. 

The later is something I didn't know was possible. 

He's talking about the Kryptis Sentinels that have about 100k HP and fire homing missiles at you once every second, and did I mention that there are SEVERAL of them all targeting you at once? You're lucky if you aren't shot out of the air after 2 seconds.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Zera.9435 said:

He's talking about the Kryptis Sentinels that have about 100k HP and fire homing missiles at you once every second, and did I mention that there are SEVERAL of them all targeting you at once? You're lucky if you aren't shot out of the air after 2 seconds.

So, I played SotO everyday since launch. I never have seen these deadly version of sentinels before. 

Only the ones that fire a slow af projectile that does so little dmg that you can ignore them. 

For example, the ones around the Spire when you kill tentacles. There are tons around but it takes minutes to get killed by them. 

Where do I find these elusive special version? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

So, I played SotO everyday since launch. I never have seen these deadly version of sentinels before. 

Only the ones that fire a slow af projectile that does so little dmg that you can ignore them. 

For example, the ones around the Spire when you kill tentacles. There are tons around but it takes minutes to get killed by them. 

At that tower you are talking about. Go ahead and agro the sentinels (not the blasters). They fire homing projectiles and have way more HP than your skyscale 10 fireballs can do damage wise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Zera.9435 said:

At that tower you are talking about. Go ahead and agro the sentinels (not the blasters). They fire homing projectiles and have way more HP than your skyscale 10 fireballs can do damage wise.

Ohh the ones that have the buff that you remove with the skyscale dash and then one shot with fireball. 

Got it

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Ohh the ones that have the buff that you remove with the skyscale dash and then one shot with fireball. 

Got it

No, that's not what happens. I've done that charge skill. They still have 100k HP. I'm convinced it's a bug. They are OPEN (buff removed) and shooting at you, and not dying even after more than 5 skyscale fireball shots.

Edited by Zera.9435
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

I believe OP was either in skyscale on the livia event flying disc and the turrets all fired at him ... He might've tried to kill those without the rifle... Probably that

That is a possibility yes, but there ARE turrets in Inner Nayos that have way more HP than they should, and 10 skyscale fireballs are not enough to kill them without 100% crit chance.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Zera.9435 said:

That is a possibility yes, but there ARE turrets in Inner Nayos that have way more HP than they should, and 10 skyscale fireballs are not enough to kill them without 100% crit chance.

Ure talking about the nayos essence energy collection event I guess... I did notice those turrets taking 2 fireballs to destroy but those turrets won't kill you ... And that event is about collecting red energy in air ... Killing those turrets won't give participation ... Also they won't fire that frequently I guess... I could be wrong

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Zera.9435 said:

No, that's not what happens. I've done that charge skill. They still have 100k HP. I'm convinced it's a bug. They are OPEN (buff removed) and shooting at you, and not dying even after more than 5 skyscale fireball shots.

If I would encounter something like that, I would be like "oh whatever" and move on with me life. 

Why bother when they don't kill you and you don't need to kill them? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

If I would encounter something like that, I would be like "oh whatever" and move on with me life. 

Why bother when they don't kill you and you don't need to kill them? 

Except that I have died more than once to being shot out of the sky while on my skyscale by those kittening things when all I was doing was gathering energy because 'That magic belongs to Nayos not Eparch". They are not inconsequential. Deny it all you want. They are an issue, especially when 3 or 4 of them kitteners target you all at once.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Zera.9435 said:

Except that I have died more than once to being shot out of the sky while on my skyscale by those kittening things when all I was doing was gathering energy because 'That magic belongs to Nayos not Eparch". They are not inconsequential. Deny it all you want. They are an issue, especially when 3 or 4 of them kitteners target you all at once.

Can I get a screenshot from the dmg you took? I'm curious now. 

Would go ingame trying to find these turrets myself but my physical health is not good enough to get up and play gw2 at the moment. 

7 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Can I get a screenshot from the dmg you took? I'm curious now. 

Would go ingame trying to find these turrets myself but my physical health is not good enough to get up and play gw2 at the moment. 

I think you misunderstand. They turret itself only does about 20-30% of the skyscale's health in damage, but it fires every second and it is a HOMING PROJECTILE, meaning it WILL hit you unless you dodge. Now consider that there are multiple sentinels firing at you. So you dodge one, but get hit by the other two. You dodge again, and you are still barely alive, but now you have no more dodges unless you waste your mastery skill to refill endurance. Ok so you're still the fight, and you managed to hit a sentinel with a fireball before your HP hits 0. Well, tough kitten because the fireball only took away about 10% of the sentinel's HP. In the time it takes you to shoot 3 projectiles to 1 sentinel, you're dead.

However, in the spirit of 'community' here is a screenshot of me being  shot out of the sky after I managed to shoot 2 fireballs at a sentinel and I plummeted to my death.

https://imgur.com/a/ML04FlH

That sentinel you see that had 59% HP, is the one that shot me down. I got hit twice by it before I could even kittening see it because it is moving, meanwhile there are several other turrets in the sky, so it's a little hard to pinpoint the exact one that is shooting at you because THEY ARE ALL kittenING SHOOTING AT YOU.

But yeah, keep telling me that it just doesn't happen. Go actually play when/if you're able.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

In Nayos. There are several events that (depending on the number of people around) can spawn excessive amount of turrets. At least one of those (the essence collection at Spire) spawns turrets that require several shots (3 to 4) to kill.

The situation is usually not as bad as described, but it is entirely possible in some situations for those turrets to chew through your hps (and skill 6) before you can get out of range. It's even worse if a turret event is up while you are doing something else (like a rift) below it. And in some edge situations when there's a ton of upscaled turrets but without any other target around, it can get really nasty. Let's just say that at one time i got shot out of the leyline flight that way.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

You absolutely do not speak for a significant portion of the player base. With your experience... you speak for yourself.

I think masteries are fine for this expansion, generally. They're better overall than EoD or some of the HoT ones. If I feel like a mastery is useful on more than one or two maps, it's a win, especially if it's used for more than one specific little thing (fishing...). But this is all just like, my opinion, man. And I only speak for me.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

I think you misunderstand. They turret itself only does about 20-30% of the skyscale's health in damage, but it fires every second and it is a HOMING PROJECTILE, meaning it WILL hit you unless you dodge. Now consider that there are multiple sentinels firing at you. So you dodge one, but get hit by the other two. You dodge again, and you are still barely alive, but now you have no more dodges unless you waste your mastery skill to refill endurance. Ok so you're still the fight, and you managed to hit a sentinel with a fireball before your HP hits 0. Well, tough kitten because the fireball only took away about 10% of the sentinel's HP. In the time it takes you to shoot 3 projectiles to 1 sentinel, you're dead.

However, in the spirit of 'community' here is a screenshot of me being  shot out of the sky after I managed to shoot 2 fireballs at a sentinel and I plummeted to my death.

https://imgur.com/a/ML04FlH

That sentinel you see that had 59% HP, is the one that shot me down. I got hit twice by it before I could even kittening see it because it is moving, meanwhile there are several other turrets in the sky, so it's a little hard to pinpoint the exact one that is shooting at you because THEY ARE ALL kittenING SHOOTING AT YOU.

But yeah, keep telling me that it just doesn't happen. Go actually play when/if you're able.

This is not a mastery issue or a turret issue - it's a you issue, not understanding what you are supposed to be doing in this area and how to navigate it. 

The entire point of the event is to collect the red magic and avoid detection of the turrets;  they are meant to shoot you down.  Every time you collect magic you get an energy boost to keep going and collect some more; I have done this event literally every single time I have been on the map since launch of the zone and have never once had an issue with the turrets shooting me down because I understand that there is a) no participation increase for shooting at them,  b) I am always flying counter to their spawn pattern (meaning over, around, or behind them), c) and dashing out of range immediately if all red magic has been consumed.  Switching between skyscale and griffon is also really useful once you reached the higher tiers; you can zip around the turrets so fast they do not have a chance to target you.

If you are lollygagging around the spire and not paying attention to your flight pattern, you are going to get shot down.  Learn2fly.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/9/2024 at 5:12 PM, Surelia.2651 said:

The entire point of the event is to collect the red magic and avoid detection of the turrets;  they are meant to shoot you down.  Every time you collect magic you get an energy boost to keep going and collect some more; I have done this event literally every single time I have been on the map since launch of the zone and have never once had an issue with the turrets shooting me down because I understand that there is a) no participation increase for shooting at them,  b) I am always flying counter to their spawn pattern (meaning over, around, or behind them), c) and dashing out of range immediately if all red magic has been consumed.  Switching between skyscale and griffon is also really useful once you reached the higher tiers; you can zip around the turrets so fast they do not have a chance to target you.

TIL. I had no idea the event was meant to be that challenging, or noticed that the turrets were different. Then again, I’ve only ever done it on turtle, so I’m essentially constantly dodging and have 60k HP, so that might have something to do with it.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 9:12 AM, Surelia.2651 said:

This is not a mastery issue or a turret issue - it's a you issue, not understanding what you are supposed to be doing in this area and how to navigate it. 

If you are lollygagging around the spire and not paying attention to your flight pattern, you are going to get shot down.  Learn2fly.

I did not know that we were supposed to completely ignore the turrets and that they give 0 participation credit. I figured it would be beneficial for others to help destroy a few of the turrets so that others can have an easier time gathering energy. I will ignore the turrets from now on.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1