Boon Scrapper?

Encountered a new engi build (scrapper) this evening, has perma boons, perma superspeed, and just spams nades.  

I thought I had a vid but apparently not--all I have is this screen:

https://imgur.com/sVIl5ew

I realize there is a DH trap in there that helped kill me, but most of the dmg prior was coming from the engi, and the chasedown was nuts.  Actual engi wouldn't do anything except run around a point and just spam said nades while being relatively immortal because of the perma vigor, prot, superspeed with much quickness and might as well.  

• Confused 3

The engi isn't running explosives.  You can tell from his boons because he has kinetic battery and iron blooded. He's got scrapper alchemy and tools.    So his grenade throw is going to hit like a wet noodle.  He doesn't even get explosive entrance.   Even if he goes full zerker to try to be not totally ignorable,  then he's got 15k health.    He can't do annoying things like flash bang because again no explosives.  

Are you sure he wasn't hitting you with mortar?

If he's got as close to permanent superspeed as he can, he could only stack 10 seconds from wells.  It means he's burning his one Rez gyro, heal, protection toolbelt, stun break and  his one might generator all in sequence when he doesn't need them. 

To take a guess the build might be something like this... you can see the obvious problems.  It's got no damage potential from nades, doesn't have the extra dodge roll regeneration, no stability and if he even wants to maybe do any damage he's running zerker at 15k health. 

If you show me the damage tab I can help more.   But basically ignore it till last as it can't really damage.  If he's silly enough to go zerker, CC bomb it and it dies.  Anything that causes immobility or slow will screw it.   He also has minimal condi removal and he has to use his toolbelts fror that, but he's been using his tool belts to maintain constant super speed so he's got nothing left.   So condi  AOE is going to hose him.  A Cata will counter.   He's got no range to contend with a DE.  He's got no stability to deal with a warrior.... so yeah not sure what you're running but that engi build looks challenging to run.

Something wet noodley and high sustain like this maybe is my guess....http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PeQAIlRw0YNMI2Jm6XWtSA

Edited by shion.2084
  • Like 5

Last point... when I say his nades are much less effective its because now their blast radius is minimise and they are twice as slow without the grenadier trait.  They also don't have explosive entrance behind them.   He's got one stun break and no stability.... so the CC and AOE condi spam we see these days will make his life miserable.

Maybe I'll give the build a shot and see how it feels for fun.... but I know against certain opponents this will get wrecked. 

Last last point... If I recall I think that might be a top player... I can't recall though... there's exalted quality, outstanding quality.... I get them mixed up.   did you check his title?  Some players can play anything and make your life miserable 🙂

Edited by shion.2084
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SleepyBat.9034 said:

I've seen builds like that in WvW before but those don't use nades, normally it's Elite Mortar Kit spam.

2 hours ago, shion.2084 said:

Are you sure he wasn't hitting you with mortar?

It may have been Mortar, honestly was somewhat hard to tell against nades for me in all the action.  I admittedly have not fought enough high level engis (like 1600+ engis); this game was all alts with no titles so hard to tell top players but they certainly played like it.  

I'll get an actual video next time, it's just such a weird build.  Like it doesn't directly hit anything on the node but is enough to come in and cause a lot of indirect chaos and be super hard to CC with all that superspeed / boon going on.  

Thanks for the input.

4 minutes ago, Exalted Quality.8534 said:

have you considered the possibility of being...dundundun
BOTH mortar AND grenade kit?  🧐 😶‍🌫️🤯?!?!?!

if you weren't taking explosives and the grenadier trait, would you bother with nades though... I'd probably just slot another gyro for the quickness proc and if its bulwark the survivability that comes from stability and projectile denial.   I actually sometimes play competitively a 4 gyro and mortar build depending on what I'm up against.   But it still uses explosives trait line.

17 minutes ago, Exalted Quality.8534 said:

LOL I can't believe you actually posted this. 

Hey when it comes to other classes I'd have similar types of questions.  I'd rather the question get asked so it can be answered.

2 hours ago, Eddie.9143 said:

U played a whole match and you're not sure if it was nade kit or mortar?

To be fair, Anet themselves struggle to differentiate Engi abilities. Would you like melee bombs, little ranged bombs, or big ranged bombs? Perhaps bow bombs?

4 hours ago, bethekey.8314 said:

To be fair, Anet themselves struggle to differentiate Engi abilities. Would you like melee bombs, little ranged bombs, or big ranged bombs? Perhaps bow bombs?

Or bow bombs now 🙂

7 hours ago, Exalted Quality.8534 said:

LOL I can't believe you actually posted this. 

I told you I'd poll the community haha, cause you said it was 'secret' 🙃.

But yes, engi explosives are actually quite difficult to tell apart in the midst of not getting blown up by them by people that are well above average.  

23 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Encountered a new engi build (scrapper) this evening, has perma boons, perma superspeed, and just spams nades.  

I thought I had a vid but apparently not--all I have is this screen:

https://imgur.com/sVIl5ew

I realize there is a DH trap in there that helped kill me, but most of the dmg prior was coming from the engi, and the chasedown was nuts.  Actual engi wouldn't do anything except run around a point and just spam said nades while being relatively immortal because of the perma vigor, prot, superspeed with much quickness and might as well.  

he is runing iron blooded so its alchemy trait line, ie. trash cause he doesnt have explosives trait line

Edited by lotus.5672
  • Like 1