Can not login anymore – invalid code

9 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Hey everyone, I have been looking into this for you and have some info. Some player accounts were mistakenly required to reset their password. We apologize for the error--you can reset your password quickly here. For more details, visit this page

The question is, were our passwords compromised? 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Hey everyone, I have been looking into this for you and have some info. Some player accounts were mistakenly required to reset their password. We apologize for the error--you can reset your password quickly here. For more details, visit this page

I'm still having problems logging on to the gw2 site.

38 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Thank you for the information, but it would really have been a lot easier if the error message was clearer. A issue that exists with a lot of gw2 errors, be it that or during account creation. 

Edited by Raseus.2543
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

So what about the people that don't have access to an email address they haven't logged in, in a few ytears.  And now that email is deactivated and cannot be remade?  Can't send password reset to that....

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Another unannounced change, but one which I appreciate. I didn't changed my password yesterday as the incident occured. Today I can use my existing password as before. :classic_happy:

On 3/14/2024 at 11:28 PM, Vegeta.2563 said:

So what about the people that don't have access to an email address they haven't logged in, in a few ytears.  And now that email is deactivated and cannot be remade?  Can't send password reset to that....

If you do not have any proof of purchase, you will lose your account

• Sad 1

It is always a good idea to keep one main mail address that you never plan to let get deleted. For important stuff. If you plan to change it ... changing it in the accounts that you registered with that mail. (Try to keep track a bit of it.) For security reasons a lot of mail providers disallow re-registering previously used addresses. (Imagine a hacker getting hold of a list of mail addresses trying them to see which ones are deleted - to register them and trying to reset passwords with password-reset mail.)

When all fails you still have your serial code from purchasing the game - that you hopefully have printed out and stored in a safe location. That + all other infos being valid/real infos in the account ... is important. Not a good idea to use fake real names for privacy and then providing the real real name to the support when it does not match with the account info then.

That doesn't mean that it's good that the accounts mistakenly got required to reset their password. Should not have happened.

---

Afaik the biggest problem is if two or more people can provide the same info. (Like when people illegaly sell their accounts and provide the serial as info to the buyer. Or I think we had one case where someone got their mail account hacked and the hacker saw the mail from the purchase where the serial was visible. At least that is what the person claimed.) Then they won't restore access to the account.

With only one person and if other info is roughly the same (including IP or IP range) ... maybe it even is possible without the correct serial. (If a lot of other info is provided.) I don't know their rules.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...