Every new engineer created after Soto have Holosmith sword bugged (skill throws less blades compared to old character on heat levels)

So to sum this up in a readable manner:

• Holos that unlocked their holosmith elite before the weaponmaster came has sword skills that interact with heat, while holos unlocking their holosmith elite after the weaponmaster came has sword skills that doesn't interact with heat.
  • PvP is not affected because the default for any character is that you have learned all weapon skills without ever having had to equip the weapon, while you don't get the "you have learned x, x and x" skill the first time you equip a sword as an engineer.
  • As this is only affecting the holosmith and not the rest of the engineers since holosmith are the only ones that have heat interaction to begin with, support seems to not understand this has nothing to do with holoforge but with the heat level when outside of forge after leaving it.
  • It can be seen visibly by having a character look at the build part of the hero panel, where available weapon skills will show up to the left: In PvP they are all coloured (as in learned) while in PvE  or WvW the sword skill is greyed out even if you have it equipped.

And the result is:

Holosmiths with the same weapons, same gear, same build, same EVERYTHING, will do different damage depending on the date they unlocked holosmith elite on that particular character. Nothing else.

Literally "best before".

@Rubi Bayer.8493@Spectral Spiral.6109 @Butterfly Kingdom.8349@Roy Marks.7689
Somebody should perhaps look into this since support isn't understanding or isn't getting good enough descriptions of what this is.

Edited by Nitsirk.2357
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you so much @Nitsirk.2357for compiling the problems found in a small and readable post (mine are what happen when you found more problems inside this bug in the meantime jajaja)

Also this patch have not fixed this yet i have checked it and half of the engineers are still bugged. In less than a week we made 8 months of this bug and sorry but i don`t dare to give hours of time to a class that have one less weapon just because of the date i created the character.

Edit: Wait, they have fixed the bug of having the autoattack reduce the cd of the skills 3 seconds outside of holosmith but not that we can`t use the sword skills like it should in holosmith, this is sad, for the first time in 12 years Anet, what is wrong with you?

Edited by Fortunello.9853
Patch notes finds
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• Fortunello.9853 changed the title to Every new engineer created after Soto have Holosmith sword bugged (skill throws less blades compared to old character on heat levels)
On 5/1/2024 at 12:59 AM, Ruzsche.2736 said:

Has anyone received any acknowledgement or advice from any GM from the game regarding this?

Nope nothing, already explained to support this problem two times and begged Rubi to pass this too, not answer as well. I know of other people here in the forums and engineers i know in game that have reported and explained it to support too and only the pr answer of "this problems take time to fix" to all of us.  So yeah not even acknowledged by Anet.

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)

Now i have my answer , i was wondering why after a patch who clearly buffed sword for engi i couldn't see any holosmith in the game , it is in fact an increased number of playrate form the data with this previous patch but that is till people figure out this akward bug you find out supposing they made  fresh engi after Soto

So holosmith are bugged if created after soto release , again  a weird spaghetti code mistake , i suggest the lot of you report this bug in game (even if you've done already , we need to press Anet) , i will load my old engi and create a new 80 for key farm as holosmith to support the bug report with actual data proof , even if some of you really dedicated have already done so, i suggest people who have time and love the class or are here to help do the same.

Hope anet sees it and acknowledge it need to be adressed asap as it is a bug who actually make people runaway from a class.

Edited by zeyeti.8347
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2024 at 5:16 AM, Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

Are there any other character/spec that has their weapon skills greyed out in the weapon skills tab, even after equipping those weapons? This could be affecting multiple classes

I have checked yesterday with all the classes and i think is only the engineer sword. First, if im not mistaken (someone correct me if im wrong) i think the engineer sword is the only weapon in the game that have a mechanic linked to his subclass, no other weapon have a change based on his elite spec excep of this one and maybe the rifle in thief (and i have checked it and even if the values whithout malice are kitten is working as intended), and every other weapon in every other class is glowing like it should in the menu except for our sword. Again to every new engineer is like not having a weapon just because of the date of creation as a result of "reasons" out of our hand.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Do we know the exact way to replicate this? Does the character itself need to be created after SotO, or is it enough to unlock Holosmith after? What if SotO is not on the account yet? Or is on the account, but hasn't gotten to the point of unlocking Weaponmaster?

I ask because on my EU account I have an Engineer created pre-SotO that has only trained Scrapper. No points in Holosmoth. And the account does not yet have EoD or SotO, so had no access to unlock the elite spec weapons across all specs.

If I train Holosmith now, should I expect to have this issue?

(Related to this, I wish we had a good way to test all variables in a practice environment, but I think that only exists for PvP?)

Edited by Tanek.5983
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Tanek.5983 said:

Do we know the exact way to replicate this? Does the character itself need to be created after SotO, or is it enough to unlock Holosmith after? What if SotO is not on the account yet? Or is on the account, but hasn't gotten to the point of unlocking Weaponmaster?

I ask because on my EU account I have an Engineer created pre-SotO that has only trained Scrapper. No points in Holosmoth. And the account does not yet have EoD or SotO, so had no access to unlock the elite spec weapons across all specs.

If I train Holosmith now, should I expect to have this issue?

Since you didn't train holosmith and equip sword before SoTO came out you're probably included in the broken sword camp. You can't unlaunch SoTO so you don't gain or lose anything by trying it out other than confirming it.

22 hours ago, Tanek.5983 said:

(Related to this, I wish we had a good way to test all variables in a practice environment, but I think that only exists for PvP?)

Even post-SoTO engies work as they should in PvP. It's everywhere else that the sword is bugged.

On 4/22/2024 at 5:48 AM, Fortunello.9853 said:

8 Months

That's awful. I'm sorry.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, CETheLucid.3964 said:

Since you didn't train holosmith and equip sword before SoTO came out you're probably included in the broken sword camp. You can't unlaunch SoTO so you don't gain or lose anything by trying it out other than confirming it.

Even post-SoTO engies work as they should in PvP. It's everywhere else that the sword is bugged.

Ok, tested it out with EU Engineer. I still have to test the numbers tonight, but if the sword skills being greyed out a symptom of the issue, I think I might be ok. Here is my before and after training up Holosmith and swapping to it, then equipping a sword...
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/823613716762984498/1237819772721430528/image.png?ex=663d08ff&is=663bb77f&hm=06acac76e90074e0b78dbd265a0c99220f95f2901e3014c7e5527d9cdf3e4ab2&=

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/zamdiux13c2xg300kkobm/holosmith_1.png?rlkey=1no5us3ium55n86ngg9akoga6&st=vbx44tyr&dl=0

Reason I was wondering about this, someone mentioned Weaponmaster. I don't have SotO on this account, so no access to Weaponmaster training. If Holosmith sword works properly for me (I'll edit in results once I test later), then that might be the trigger rather than just game after SotO. Maybe it only affects Engineers who train Holosmith after already unlocking the sword through Weaponmaster. Which, granted, is probably still the majority of players who create an Engineer after already having SotO, but a data point is a data point. Then we'd need someone who has SotO, has an Engineer, but has NOT yet unlocked Weaponmaster or Holosmith to test.

And yeah, I saw that it was noted this is only affecting PvE, which is why I wish I had a way to test all these variations in PvE. Hopefully ANet has such test environments, though, and responds to this soon. Would be nice to have it cleared up before it can mar either the final part of SotO or the next expansion announcement.

Edited by Tanek.5983
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks for answering @Tanek.5983 @CETheLucid.3964 i saw it now, so after saying that the skills has stopped being greyed out in the menu im curious now Tanek of the property of the skills of your sword in holosmith and not having weaponmaster training.

The reason of saying that everyone after Soto release is affected is because the expac and the weaponmater training released the same day if im not mistaken, the thing im curious now about this is if the problem is the inclussion of weaponmaster training in the game in general or is the unlocking of this feature in the account what broke the weapon, as far as i can test and i said before i leveled an engineer without touching the sword until i have holosmith unlocked, equipped and i was level 80 and the bug was still there with the weapon.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Tanek.5983 said:

Ok, tested it out with EU Engineer. I still have to test the numbers tonight, but if the sword skills being greyed out a symptom of the issue, I think I might be ok. Here is my before and after training up Holosmith and swapping to it, then equipping a sword...
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/823613716762984498/1237819772721430528/image.png?ex=663d08ff&is=663bb77f&hm=06acac76e90074e0b78dbd265a0c99220f95f2901e3014c7e5527d9cdf3e4ab2&=

Reason I was wondering about this, someone mentioned Weaponmaster. I don't have SotO on this account, so no access to Weaponmaster training. If Holosmith sword works properly for me (I'll edit in results once I test later), then that might be the trigger rather than just game after SotO. Maybe it only affects Engineers who train Holosmith after already unlocking the sword through Weaponmaster. Which, granted, is probably still the majority of players who create an Engineer after already having SotO, but a data point is a data point. Then we'd need someone who has SotO, has an Engineer, but has NOT yet unlocked Weaponmaster or Holosmith to test.

And yeah, I saw that it was noted this is only affecting PvE, which is why I wish I had a way to test all these variations in PvE. Hopefully ANet has such test environments, though, and responds to this soon. Would be nice to have it cleared up before it can mar either the final part of SotO or the next expansion announcement.

That's interesting. That means either weaponmastery is the trigger to breaking sword or because your engie existed prior to SoTO you don't have the broken sword even if you didn't train holosmith till now. In theory you would be safe to add SoTO now that your sword properly unlocked without weaponmastery, but really, I wouldn't add SoTO to that account until they confirm a fix if you don't want to risk a broken holo sword.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Fortunello.9853 said:

Thanks for answering @Tanek.5983 @CETheLucid.3964 i saw it now, so after saying that the skills has stopped being greyed out in the menu im curious now Tanek of the property of the skills of your sword in holosmith and not having weaponmaster training.

The reason of saying that everyone after Soto release is affected is because the expac and the weaponmater training released the same day if im not mistaken, the thing im curious now about this is if the problem is the inclussion of weaponmaster training in the game in general or is the unlocking of this feature in the account what broke the weapon, as far as i can test and i said before i leveled an engineer without touching the sword until i have holosmith unlocked, equipped and i was level 80 and the bug was still there with the weapon.

33 minutes ago, CETheLucid.3964 said:

That's interesting. That means either weaponmastery is the trigger to breaking sword or because your engie existed prior to SoTO you don't have the broken sword even if you didn't train holosmith till now. In theory you would be safe to add SoTO now that your sword properly unlocked without weaponmastery, but really, I wouldn't add SoTO to that account until they confirm a fix if you don't want to risk a broken holo sword.

I have not gotten to any numbers testing, but just looking at whether skills update based on heat level, my EU Holosmith seems to be acting like the Holosmith on my NA account (where the elite spec was unlocked well before SotO).

Here is skill 2 at 0% heat, between 50% and 100%, and over 100%...
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/823613716762984498/1237870479591870485/image.png?ex=663d3838&is=663be6b8&hm=855908dcd385542dcc3ecae7d5736f1be9ee88eaeafce966d3c330abd6b9ad56&=

Edited by Tanek.5983
clarity
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Then this probably mean, that the origin of the bug is the activation of weaponmaster training in the account, for some reason your game stop recognizing the sword skills as an spec weapon and only acknowledge it as standard weapon for the class. Look like the best new people can do is not start Soto until they have the engineer with all the specs unlocked if this is the case.

And to everyone else like myself and others who already bought and started it months ago, just continue calling Anet for help until this bug is acknowledged i guess.

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)

I have today discover another skill that has the same type of visual bug but thankfully after testing it worked just fine, contrary to the sword in engineer.  Dagger 2 in mesmer work different in core, chrono and mirage compared to virtuoso, usually it create a clone when you hit with the skill but in virtuoso it create another blade.

In mesmer at least this skill work but like in engineer, because this skill is different based on the spec you use it like the sword in holosmith, dagger 2 in the mesmer is blacked out compared to the first and third skill in the menu and you can`t learn it.

Checked all clases already finishing with mesmer, this confirm thas the sword in engineer is the only weapon bugged and broken this way.

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...