In future, please dont do maps where the meta even cancels other events....

This trend in SotO is obnoxious.

Where other events are ended, or auto failed, due to a meta event happening.

In one zone the map closes, in another the meta event cycles quickly so there is a short window for other specific events to form (esp if in a chain) and for them to be completed.

I quite like SotO (disappointing personal story aside), but this trend needs stopping right now before its carried onto future content.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

This doesn't happen in all meta maps?  I remember in Auric Basin that as soon as the octovine chain starts all of the non-octo events just stop.  Kinda annoying when I tried to solo a giant golden ooze and it just vanishes because Tarier was under siege from the mordrum.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The purpose of this is to encourage players to do the meta event, which is usually themed to be an event so important that it demands lots of players to succeed. If players are off on their own side-quest when the meta is warming-up, there is a notification that the meta event is starting, which should tell them to hurry-up with whatever they are currently doing. Fishing is like this, only softer, as you are still able to fish.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

This doesn't happen in all meta maps?  I remember in Auric Basin that as soon as the octovine chain starts all of the non-octo events just stop.  Kinda annoying when I tried to solo a giant golden ooze and it just vanishes because Tarier was under siege from the mordrum.

The way too big impact of the meta on the whole map was one of the key negative points of that expansion brought up on constant basis. And for a while it seemed Anet learned their lesson. But, like with most other lessons of the past, it seems to have been eventually forgotten (probably when the devs that learned it left the building).

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Funky.4861 said:

The purpose of this is to encourage players to do the meta event, which is usually themed to be an event so important that it demands lots of players to succeed.

Then there is an issue with the large player number requirement and the meta needs to scale better for smaller groups of players.

2 hours ago, Funky.4861 said:

If players are off on their own side-quest when the meta is warming-up, there is a notification that the meta event is starting, which should tell them to hurry-up with whatever they are currently doing.

Telling players uninterested in a meta the equivalent of "We soon disable the content you want to do, so hurry up and get off the map." is not exactly encouraging.

A meta scaling well with lower player numbers that can coexist with unrelated events always is the best solution.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

On 3/22/2024 at 5:54 AM, Albadaran.1283 said:

I find it really very annoying when I do a meta and in the middle of a heave battle suddenly a 'common' event starts, adding even more enemies. So PLEASE stop other events starting on the same place where a meta is going on!

I call it a skill issue from you but ok

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 3/22/2024 at 2:40 AM, Zebulous.2934 said:

it does, but at least Auric basin is on a timer. and the event is pretty short.

soto events are long, and the inner nayos events happen frequently. esp if the map is busy.

If you have a specific event to do, thats shut down by the meta event starting, you actively want a low pop map...thats not a good thing in an mmo 🙂

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

All maps are the same you do event chain till meta, you have time 1h 30mins  most of the time, in Soto ik that there is only 1 map where you need to start meta manually but besides that it all runs on timer

• Confused 2

On 3/22/2024 at 9:05 AM, Fueki.4753 said:

Then there is an issue with the large player number requirement and the meta needs to scale better for smaller groups of players.

Telling players uninterested in a meta the equivalent of "We soon disable the content you want to do, so hurry up and get off the map." is not exactly encouraging.

A meta scaling well with lower player numbers that can coexist with unrelated events always is the best solution.

I totally disagree with you on this point. Why bother having an event that needs a large number of players (read: brings players together for a common goal) if you're just going to scale it down to raid squad size? It's an MMO, after all.

Also, it doesn't tell players to get off the map- it tells them to join in. If you want to leave the map that's up to you, but GW2 is built on co-operation, not isolation.

• Confused 2

55 minutes ago, Funky.4861 said:

I totally disagree with you on this point. Why bother having an event that needs a large number of players (read: brings players together for a common goal) if you're just going to scale it down to raid squad size?

What's the point in forcing a minimum number of people, when not enough people may be interested in doing it?

It'd be better that said event properly scales down to the actual number of players interesting in doing it, so they can properly attempt the thing they are interested in, rather than being blue-balled by an arbitrarily chosen high player requirement.

55 minutes ago, Funky.4861 said:

Also, it doesn't tell players to get off the map- it tells them to join in. If you want to leave the map that's up to you, but GW2 is built on co-operation, not isolation.

If a player happens to be interested in the meta event, it tells them that.

However, I specified that it tells players who literally are not interested in the meta event to F off.

If literally everything that's not the meta stops and they aren't going to do the meta anyway, what point is there in staying on the map?

The game literally tells them "You want to do that other thing? Too bad.", which does nothing but leave players annoyed, disappointed or with an even worse opinion.

Having the meta scale down properly makes it viable people who want to do it even when less people than Arenanet envisions for it are present. Not disabling other content let's people continue doing their own thing, if they don't care about the meta. It'd literally be a win-win situation for every party involved.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 3/22/2024 at 10:54 AM, Albadaran.1283 said:

I find it really very annoying when I do a meta and in the middle of a heave battle suddenly a 'common' event starts, adding even more enemies. So PLEASE stop other events starting on the same place where a meta is going on!

I find it really very annoying when I'm fighting enemies and suddenly an event starts, and the meta starts, and the phone rings. So PLEASE stop anything starting on the same place where I'm fighting enemies /s

Edited by Vavume.8065
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

On 3/28/2024 at 10:46 AM, Fueki.4753 said:

What's the point in forcing a minimum number of people, when not enough people may be interested in doing it?

It'd be better that said event properly scales down to the actual number of players interesting in doing it, so they can properly attempt the thing they are interested in, rather than being blue-balled by an arbitrarily chosen high player requirement.

If a player happens to be interested in the meta event, it tells them that.

However, I specified that it tells players who literally are not interested in the meta event to F off.

If literally everything that's not the meta stops and they aren't going to do the meta anyway, what point is there in staying on the map?

The game literally tells them "You want to do that other thing? Too bad.", which does nothing but leave players annoyed, disappointed or with an even worse opinion.

Having the meta scale down properly makes it viable people who want to do it even when less people than Arenanet envisions for it are present. Not disabling other content let's people continue doing their own thing, if they don't care about the meta. It'd literally be a win-win situation for every party involved.

I'm sorry you feel this way Fueki but you're simply incorrect.

If a meta is so unrewarding/boring/whatever that few people try it, it will fail, and that's okay. It's up to the playerbase to succeed at meta events- just look at the revamped Tequatl for example, which took a few days to figure out the new mechanics.

The game doesn't tell the player anything other than a meta event is starting- it's up to the player whether they want to join in or not. Most players know that meta events happen periodically on most maps so it shouldn't come as a surprise or disappointment that some other events will stop. If you're so triggered that your play-how-i-want entitlement is offended by a meta event, that's on you.

Scaling-down metas for lower player numbers goes against the premise of a meta event and the concept of an MMO. The fact that some metas DO scale down to be doable with 10 players says a lot to how much anet want people to participate- IF those players know what they need to do.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Funky.4861 said:

I'm sorry you feel this way Fueki but you're simply incorrect.

The meta scales better with how many people actually want to do it. -> The meta people get to actually do it.

Events don't get cancelled by a meta happening. -> The people, who want to do these events can continue doing them.

Literally everyone gets to do the content they want to do. Noone loses out.

The game doesn't tell the player anything other than a meta event is starting

The game cancelling the content players currently are doing, it's quite obviously telling them "I don't want you to do that now.".

And if they don't want to do the meta, the message objectively is "there nothing for you here, so you might as well get out."

Scaling-down metas for lower player numbers goes against the premise of a meta event and the concept of an MMO.

We could argue about some arbitrary personal definitions all decade long, but that's not what the topic is about.

The topic is about that it feels bad and annoying when events arbitrarily get cancelled, merely because a meta starts.

And I offered my thought on how things should change to not have people feel bad in this way.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You've got a really warped way of looking at this Fueki. You might as well say "Tell me you hate meta events without telling me you hate meta events. I'll go first."

If meta events scale down so that a squad of 10 or a party of 5 can do them, they are not metas at that point and might as well be instanced content.

If a player is in the middle of an event which gets cancelled due to a meta starting they can join the meta or do something else on the map  for the 5-10-ish minutes it takes for the meta to complete. Or they can get off their behind and make a cup of tea. The only point of sympathy you'll get from me is maps closing (due to depopulation after a meta) when parties have maxxed-out their fishing bonus. Even then, metas are on a timer so everyone knows it's coming and can act accordingly.

You're obviously allowed to feel angry and annoyed at having the rug pulled-out from under you when you're just minding your own business doing events, but the whole game is designed this way and has been since it was released; i doubt this is going to change. For me, it's more annoying that the Orrian temple events were thrown to the wind when megaservers came online. Now you just have to linger on that map ip and wait (sometimes over an hour) for it to respawn. Not that i love doing the temple events; rather that they are required for parts of various collections.

• Confused 1