Controller support

Is there any plans in the near future to add controller support, and I do not mean loading the game in Steam and using enter big picture mode to use the controller support on there? because trying to memorize each and ever action key, map button so forth and so on is a pain in the kitten.  I have carpal tunnel and it is a pain for me to use mouse and key board and I do mean huge pain and using a controller makes my world much easier.  hell even wow has controller support through there new in game stuff that made it so that ppl could make mods that mimic controllers with the controllers button representation  on the screen  (the x y b a , L1, L2. R1, R2 and the rest of the buttons) wish i can add my screen shot of my game set up in wow to represent.  

anyway, just want to know if controller support will be coming soon, I am sure there is a bunch of handicapped ppl out there would love you for it. 

• Like 1

Doubtful.

I use a Razor Tarterus for my left hand and a trackball with 2 extra buttons on my right (dodge + jump). That could be a Logitech M570, for example. I don't need the keyboard for normal stuff. I also have a 12-button keypad near my Tarterus that so far I only use for quick mount buttons. That's relatively new, so haven't decided on anything else to map to it.

• Like 2

I have a Tartarus pro as well, the keyboard isnt the problem it is more the mouse that is the problem. and sometimes the software clashes  with the corsair mouse so I have it stored away but may pull it out anyway and have to figure out how to program all the buttons on it again. 

I have been think about trying out ELECOM HUGE Trackball Mouse, but I spent a ton of money on my corsair mouse with its 12 buttons (which only 6 i can use) but after an hour my right hand is numb and hurting.

when i play WoW or ESO it is so much better when using a PS5 controller. even xbox wolverine controller.  it is a  huge learning curve in WoW but not as much as using the steam controller option in GW2.  as for the mounts, i use blish hud, they have a radial wheel where you can select which mount to use plus a bunch of other things that is handy.  but the problem with that it would be faster if I just hotkeyed the mounts instead ( which I had to do anyway to use the blish hud mount wheel)

• Confused 1

Have you ever used a trackball? I highly recommend one that has the ball under your thumb. Otherwise, at least for me, it is extremely difficult to use the ball and buttons at the same time. That HUGE one you referred to, I can't imagine holding a button while rolling the ball. Sure for Word and such, but nothing like games or CAD (what I do for a living).

Totally optimized controller support for all content? 

I don't think it will be easy to make it work well

Guild Wars 2 requires much mouse precision

Imagine rushing through a fractal with all those mini jumping puzzles etc

Not very fun with a joystick

In a game like FFXIV you can play almost as good with a controller as mouse/keyboard. But that game was design at the ground level with controllers in mind.

Guild Wars 2 is mainly designed with a mouse in mind

Native controller support will also require a redesign of UI
It's a lot of work 

I can only see it happening if they decide to port game to console

For open world PVE (or even WvW zerg) gameplay, it's very doable

I've used controller for GW2 for many many many hours myself

But I didn't do instanced content mostly (fractals etc). Think I tried a few times, but it was just a bad experience

But I can only speak for myself. Give it a shot yourself and see how you get along with it.

I don't know if you use an already made preset or make your own

I would reccommend making something that makes sense to you

It will make it much easier and faster to get used to

I hope you work it out!

Edited by jokke.6239
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 11:22 PM, Elminster.6785 said:

I have a Tartarus pro as well, the keyboard isnt the problem it is more the mouse that is the problem. and sometimes the software clashes  with the corsair mouse so I have it stored away but may pull it out anyway and have to figure out how to program all the buttons on it again. 

I use mine with a razer Naga mouse and not had any issues.

Well apart from when I tried to get clever with the software auto changing binds depending on the game, only found out I'd made a boo boo when I needed to throw the bomb in sabatha and had no f bound. But that's on me, not razer

• Haha 1

i use Xpadder when i play and have been playing with an xbox controller for about a year now 😄

i have several modifier buttons like the shoulders and left trigger and then Dpad controls skills/mounts etc

so if i hold left trigger and left/right/up/down on the D-pad it will use skills 2/3/4/5 (auto attack is right trigger)

but if hold left shoulder button and left/right/up/down on the D-Pad it will use Turtle/gryphon/skyscale/Skimmer

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

On 4/4/2024 at 5:36 AM, Atoclone.4810 said:

I use mine with a razer Naga mouse and not had any issues.

Well apart from when I tried to get clever with the software auto changing binds depending on the game, only found out I'd made a boo boo when I needed to throw the bomb in sabatha and had no f bound. But that's on me, not razer

a Tartarus pro is razer product so i hope they do not clash.  I Had corsaid + the tartarus pro,  Bought a "Huge" (product name) trackball mouse this week.  The ball is in the middle of the mouse with the left click using the thumb and the ball using the two first fingers and the third finger right click with an extra button next to that as well, was unconfortable but usable BUT I went ahead and drove to my local best buy and bought a logitech ergo plus wireless trackball mouse.  This mouse i can adjust the angle on it so it doesnt lay flat, the software is way better than the huge, was able to change / reprogram some of the buttons, and  you can use the logitch ergo plus wireless, bluetooth or plug it into the pc, right now i am using the bluetooth. The Logitch mouse is a bit smaller but easier to use.  

I have carpel tunnel and I play lots of games with controller that you have to make difficult moves with.  Now WoW used to not have controller support and still doesnt BUT with recent changes in game someone came up with an app where they can use those changes to use a controller in game.  love this game but I have a hard time playing it because of the pain in my right hand and I am sure if they had their programmers put their minds to it they can figure out something to add controller support or and LUA programming (like WoW addons) into the game where someone can make a mod for it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Liewec.2896 said:

i use Xpadder when i play and have been playing with an xbox controller for about a year now 😄

i have several modifier buttons like the shoulders and left trigger and then Dpad controls skills/mounts etc

so if i hold left trigger and left/right/up/down on the D-pad it will use skills 2/3/4/5 (auto attack is right trigger)

but if hold left shoulder button and left/right/up/down on the D-Pad it will use Turtle/gryphon/skyscale/Skimmer

ya but using outside programs to play the game you have to memorize all the buttons because it doesnt say on spell bar which button on the controller to use, just the numbers 1,2 and so on. not the x or square  triangle  R1 R2 buttons, I am 57 years old,  and i played this game and all others out there I just need visual rep to until i can have it all memorized

Edited by Elminster.6785
misspelling

4 hours ago, Elminster.6785 said:

ya but using outside programs to play the game you have to memorize all the buttons because it doesnt say on spell bar which button on the controller to use, just the numbers 1,2 and so on. not the x or square  triangle  R1 R2 buttons, I am 57 years old,  and i played this game and all others out there I just need visual rep to until i can have it all memorized

thats true, and it did take a while but i eventually got so used to it that i don't even think about the buttons anymore 🙂

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Elminster.6785 said:

What about drawing it on a piece of paper that you can look at while you memorise it?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/6/2024 at 6:08 AM, Thornbury.4179 said:

One of my friends is unable to use a mouse for extended period of time, and the lack of controller support is the only reason he's not playing 😕

exactly, I keep stopping because no controller, my hands hurt like hell after an hour of game play.  I tried a trackball mouse this weekend and it doesnt help what so ever.  need ingame controller support or allow LUA so ppl can make mods for the game and hopefully one of them would come up with a mod for that. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 4/5/2024 at 8:57 AM, Liewec.2896 said:

looking up xpadder now

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Elminster.6785 said:

looking up xpadder now

xpadder works better than steam controller, plus since i use two screens i can see what is what and i made it where it makes since to use compared to the game controls