PvP Discussion: Miscellaneous

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

@Morwath.9817 said:Quaggan would love to see such features as (listed by importance):
  1. Voice Communication System - Quaggan would love to have Voice Command System, where you have prerecorded commands you simply use while pressing certain button cominations (e.g. nums)
    . Why does Quaggan would prefer such system instead of simple VOIP? Because in EU people use many languages, not all understand english or even if they understand english, they doesn't speak it. Commands can be translated and recorded in each (supported by GW2) language. Quaggan is sure more and easier communication between players would give us better match quality.

We can talk about that. It would require VO, which can be complicated to organize/schedule. Also, this could easily be a source for trolling.
  1. Announcer - Quaggan believes it would be amazing, if we could have customizable announcer, which is telling us that some objective is contested (we could set about which objectives we care), like "Enemies are constesting mid/far/close", "Enemies captured mid/far/close", "Svarnir is under attack" - assuming we can see those actions on mini map.

This is actually something we have talked about before. It's pretty unlikely. VO is expensive and complicated and the number of people interested in voice packs enough to spend gems on them is probably somewhat low.

The only reason I'd be against the whole announcer telling you everything is it takes away from map awareness which should be emphasized as a developed skill in a pvp setting.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can talk about that. It would require VO, which can be complicated to organize/schedule. Also, this could easily be a source for trolling.

As far as Quaggan knows, everything can be source of trolling, but as long as you could just mute certain player with one click, which you consider a troll, there would be no issue.

This is actually something we have talked about before. It's pretty unlikely. VO is expensive and complicated and the number of people interested in voice packs enough to spend gems on them is probably somewhat low.

Quaggan wouldn't be that sure, Hi-Rez was and is selling voices (for characters) in Smite, are now they are doing the same in Paladins, also including announcers packs - you could always make a little research among your playerbase and ask them, if they would like such feature and, if they would spend gems on it.

Several QoL improvements/suggestions from my side:

1. While it should be hidden for enemy to see exact elite spec, I would like to see those on my team to understand, whenever I have druid or soulbeast in my team, real thief or worthless PP etc.
  2. When participating in AT, could you please add some sort of mark to show, which team I played in and vs? I personally like to check out, whom I played and if they won, how they would get.
  3. As mentioned before by many posters - saveable builds (Band-aid soluion could be ability to change those recommended to add 10 per each class)
  4. When match is over, disconnecting people class is repalced by disconnected icon. I would like to still see their last prof, as I do not remember names, but their classes during match. For example, I see Warrior afk at base, but when all 4 left match, I cant remember which one to report after match for Idle.
  5. In addition to Top Stat system (which might need some tinkering, but I cant suggest much), I would like to be able to commend players after match, both enemy and ally. Those who get most commendations, will get MVP title of their team and 1-2 pips and/or reward track as bonus.
  6. Reward for ready should be increased and Ready menu should be HUGE. I understand, that this is just 1 minute of waiting, but clearly some just ingore that "ready" button.
  7. Key bindings per game mode per profession. Maybe ability to have those "Global" for majority and allow rest of us adjust them. For example, F2 for SB and mesmer in my book have completely different required reaction time and I would love to have Parry at my most "quick" thumb

Server question: is it true that switching servers has resulted in higher pings/causing more DC to log screen? It seems to be mapchat collective wisdom that this is true. If so, this would certain affect the quality of PvP and discourage participation, especially the new PvP'er

This is a borderline-balance related question, but idk if it still fits because it's nothing too specific.

Are there any plans to reduce the overall damage in PvP? Maybe reduce condition damage/power stats by 20-33%? TTK (time to kill) is kind of crazy low and may turn away a lot of people especially new players.

I talked about this a couple of times already, but this is probably the topic for it:

Have you considered profession-specific equipment avalible in the PvP menu? Such as an amulet or rune/sigil avalible only to specific professions(s). There are some particular combinations of stats or effects that are certainly over-the-top for some professions, but are not on others and could breathe life into new build archetypes/improve existing ones without powercreeping other professions.

1. Why no discussion about balance issues? This might be the biggest reason that PvP is in such a bad state right now. More frequent balance adjustments should be no.1 priority.

2. Make PvP better accessible for people that don't know it. Remove heart of the mists and incorporate it in Lions Arch. Give game-wide announcements when an AT is about to start. Think about options to incorporate the Mentoring system into PvP, so that new players can learn from better players instead on giving up on the steep learning curve.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Trendy.1694 said:Several QoL improvements/suggestions from my side:

1. While it should be hidden for enemy to see exact elite spec, I would like to see those on my team to understand, whenever I have druid or soulbeast in my team, real thief or worthless PP etc.We will probably do something for this.

2. When participating in AT, could you please add some sort of mark to show, which team I played in and vs? I personally like to check out, whom I played and if they won, how they would get.We will be updating the UI over time. It's not a quick process. Though, I don't think it will highlight your individual matches. Long term, I'm hoping we can get an actual bracket for the post swiss rounds, but it's not a sure thing and a lot of work. Additionally, I want to be able to mouse over teams and see their roster.

3. As mentioned before by many posters - saveable builds (Band-aid soluion could be ability to change those recommended to add 10 per each class)I think we all want this. It hasn't been ruled out, but it would likely be a game wide solution rather than a PvP specific one.

4. When match is over, disconnecting people class is repalced by disconnected icon. I would like to still see their last prof, as I do not remember names, but their classes during match. For example, I see Warrior afk at base, but when all 4 left match, I cant remember which one to report after match for Idle.I think the way that data is pulled to the UI makes this a difficult thing.

5. In addition to Top Stat system (which might need some tinkering, but I cant suggest much), I would like to be able to commend players after match, both enemy and ally. Those who get most commendations, will get MVP title of their team and 1-2 pips and/or reward track as bonus.We've talked about commendation systems before with a pip reward. We'll keep thinking about it.

6. Reward for ready should be increased and Ready menu should be HUGE. I understand, that this is just 1 minute of waiting, but clearly some just ingore that "ready" button.We can talk about this. But I know people who will not click ready under almost any circumstance. I find it annoying as well.

7. Key bindings per game mode per profession. Maybe ability to have those "Global" for majority and allow rest of us adjust them. For example, F2 for SB and mesmer in my book have completely different required reaction time and I would love to have Parry at my most "quick" thumb

I don't know enough on how the keybinding system works on the back end to know how feasible this change is. I can ask, but it wouldn't be a high priority unless it's really easy. But it would definitely be nice!

HI ben thx for your time and efforts!1) I know its kind of difficult to realize but an option to record games and to see them and to see others players games would help to learn rotation and gameplay.2) A website with gw2 guides where people can post builds, rotations, guides and pvp-related stuff (with a community vote system to highlight top guides ) to help people learn pvp. You could also add an in-game link or page to go to the web-site.

Does Anet currently help fund the UGO tournaments wether monetary or in-game gold/gems? If not, would it be possible for it? I understand that's it is a community funded event but still, it's one of the most watched streams for the game. That being said, the people who run the event would need to agree too I guess.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Smarazzinger.1403 said:HI ben thx for your time and efforts!1) I know its kind of difficult to realize but an option to record games and to see them and to see others players games would help to learn rotation and gameplay.From my understanding, engine decisions made early in GW2 development make this a monumental ask. Otherwise, I'd be all for it.

2) A website with gw2 guides where people can post builds, rotations, guides and pvp-related stuff (with a community vote system to highlight top guides ) to help people learn pvp. You could also add an in-game link or page to go to the web-site.I'm not sure this is something we could do. We don't have direct web resources assigned to PvP and I think, generally speaking, communities are better at creating this types of sites than game companies are.

@breno.5423 said:HP bar. This is all what i want.How can i play a healer role if i can't see the health of my team?

So much this. Also the way how boons are displayed isn't that good. They are all colored the same and please don't use white-orange...The endurance bar should also slightly change color as you have at least one dodge. Such flaws make it really hard to see things from the corner of the eye, especially since pvp is pretty fast.

@AngelsShadow.7360 said:Is there any reason why we can't see elite spec icons in games? Especially now with two sets of Elite Specs, being able to see and work around what the enemy team is running would massively help.

We've talked about that several times recently. I think early on in PvP development, it would considered a skill to identify what builds people were playing and we didn't want to neutralize that skill. (I could be wrong about the early motivations, as it was before my time here.) But it's something I think we can probably put on our backlog. May not be a high priority change though.

This would still hold true even if you enabled elite spec icons. As it is, the new skill types and new profession skills that they bring make it trivial to determine if someone is running an elite spec versus core as soon as you encounter them, but to know their exact build you would still need to pay attention and have some knowledge about their class.

Sorry if this infringes too much on class balance, but I would like to know what ANet's opinion on passive procs are in a PvP setting. And by passive procs I'm referring mostly to passive invulns, passive stealth, trait procs that allow you to avoid getting downed through various means, passive stunbreaks etc.... @Ben Phongluangtham.1065 @Cal Cohen.3527

I'm not singling out any class, but trying to look at them all together. A lot of players see this as lazy design for a competitiev game mode, one that is fundamentally unhealthy. What are your opinions on these, and do you think that the game mode would be better off without them?

@OriOri.8724 said:Sorry if this infringes too much on class balance, but I would like to know what ANet's opinion on passive procs are in a PvP setting. And by passive procs I'm referring mostly to passive invulns, passive stealth, trait procs that allow you to avoid getting downed through various means, passive stunbreaks etc.... @Ben Phongluangtham.1065 @Cal Cohen.3527

I'm not singling out any class, but trying to look at them all together. A lot of players see this as lazy design for a competitiev game mode, one that is fundamentally unhealthy. What are your opinions on these, and do you think that the game mode would be better off without them?

You ask people, who aren't working on PvP balance.

Archived