Why Wyvern?

Mic.1897

21 minutes ago, Mic.1897 said:

Why do so many people choose wyvern over gazelle when the gazelle is tankier and has shorter cooldowns on both CC skills?

So to answer your question.

Although the gazelle has more tanky stats, strong CC and good damage. (Soul-beast it is event better)

The reason why people use Electric Wyvern or Fire Wyvern are for specific reasons.

I personally find the Electric one to be very useful due the application being slightly more tanky than the Sky-chak whilst having a Lightning field.

THis is crucial if you plan on leaping through it to get a daze onto a player, if you're running "Moment of Clarity" you increase the daze duration from 1s to 1.5 and interrupting them gives you a 25% damage increase. Ontop of that, if you are utilizing any "CC traits" or "CC relics" They will proc frequently.

A good combo with Electric Wyvern is Sword; it has 2 leap finishers and running remorseless + Two weapon fight/Midnight relic... you essentially have a 100% crit if you land those abilities (precise strike gives opening strike 100% crit while having 25% damage increase).

As for fire, FIre field, has an evade on f2 and applies burning which I'm not fully aware its potency in a condi build but I have seen people run it occasionally in WvW on untamed in some point in time. Someone whom more familiar with condi play style can explain it better than me.

• Thanks 1

Wyvern/Gazelle was actually a pretty popular roaming combo for condi druid a while back, due to the number of CC's that could proc ancient seeds.  

Obviously, things have changed since then, however I still use E. Wyvern quite a bit myself as the launch from its wing flap tends to hit a lot more reliably than gazelle's charge does--they just need to fix Lighting Assault from going through things and being somewhat useless outside of the field.  

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267

16 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Some people simply enjoy the Wyverns more than the Rock Gazelle.

Not everything is about performance and effectiveness.

I guess but even when people are speaking for performance, I still see people recommend either pet when gazelle is clearly superior

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/9/2024 at 3:41 PM, Oahkahmewolf.6210 said:

So to answer your question.

Although the gazelle has more tanky stats, strong CC and good damage. (Soul-beast it is event better)

The reason why people use Electric Wyvern or Fire Wyvern are for specific reasons.

I personally find the Electric one to be very useful due the application being slightly more tanky than the Sky-chak whilst having a Lightning field.

THis is crucial if you plan on leaping through it to get a daze onto a player, if you're running "Moment of Clarity" you increase the daze duration from 1s to 1.5 and interrupting them gives you a 25% damage increase. Ontop of that, if you are utilizing any "CC traits" or "CC relics" They will proc frequently.

A good combo with Electric Wyvern is Sword; it has 2 leap finishers and running remorseless + Two weapon fight/Midnight relic... you essentially have a 100% crit if you land those abilities (precise strike gives opening strike 100% crit while having 25% damage increase).

As for fire, FIre field, has an evade on f2 and applies burning which I'm not fully aware its potency in a condi build but I have seen people run it occasionally in WvW on untamed in some point in time. Someone whom more familiar with condi play style can explain it better than me.

Running on a power build I can get around four to five ticks of 1500 or so with the burning in his little field. A condi build could likely boost this I believe or take better advantage of it. But it for sure feels stronger then it did last time I played (right around when EOD launched)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2024 at 1:11 PM, Mic.1897 said:

Why do so many people choose wyvern over gazelle when the gazelle is tankier and has shorter cooldowns on both CC skills?

- Utilization of a lightning field.

- Gazelle has a bug where it runs extremely far away, which in a pvp/wvw situation can leave you without a pet.

- wyvern can CC multiple targets with both of its skills.

- wyvern tracks a human target better than Gazelle.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 6:31 AM, Strider.7849 said:

- Gazelle has a bug where it runs extremely far away, which in a pvp/wvw situation can leave you without a pet.

I would say depended on what your trait and spec are, Gazelle can be a more appealing option over Electric Wyvern.

Main purpose of Electric wyvern or shock chak is lightning field daze spam with moment of clarity. Its get super appressive when you stack that with druid CCing capabilites and Hammer.

Sword has two leaps, the only weapon in ranger arsenal outside of pet abilities or soulbeast merge abilities.

With midnight relic and remoresless trait. You can essentially have opening strike up constantly, providing you with multiple benefits and an easy access to consistant vuln & cripple condition

• 1 month later...

I haven't been too active since some of these changes.  I've always used Gazelle and today I am still using Gazelle/River drake.  I typically like to experiment with different pets but last I tried the wyverns, they weren't too good IMO.  Or at least, I simply thought Gazelle was better.  I play untamed typically  and typically with a hammer/axes,  hammer/gs, hammer/sword+horn or something,  or some combination.   I am curious if the wyverns are really better now.  Can't wait to go home and retry them out.   

I love the Gazelle though.  Aesthetically he's awesome lol and I feel like the damage and CCing are solid.  But something with more AOE can of course be more beneficial.   I wish they allowed the wyverns to fly.  As much as I focus my pet decisions on functionality, there is definitely at least part of my decisions based on their aesthetics.