Option to disable all communication in PvP?

I don't wanna see people raging, and it happens every other match, so I hid my chat. Me problem, me solution, right?

Turns out /say bubbles still exist, calling target on teammates still exists, pinging wildly over the map for 3 minutes straight still exists, and some enterprising fellow in my last game decided to spell out slurs by drawing on the minimap. Some people have a strangely impressive dedication to the craft.

It's not a big deal—I'm still enjoying myself—but it seems obvious that I'd enjoy myself more if I didn't have to watch people constantly throwing tantrums. Since this stuff seems pretty widespread, at least in mid Gold, the option to block it all out completely would be nice—have the developers ever talked about this? Any third-party solutions or tips? Is my experience unusual?

Edited by TyroneSama.5167
  • Like 3
  • Confused 5

Posted (edited)

Not really, but no one seems to be using comms for either of those things. I've been working on The Ascension all night—from a quick scroll up through my chat log, there are zero players discussing strategy, and at least six or seven games' worth of whinging about teammates and being generally unkind.

• Like 1

You need to gain the superpower of ignorance. I literally dont read chat.  

When i play with my brother, he is often like:   Dang... that engie is flaming you HARD.

and im like:   what? 

Then i scroll up and see that he is literally having a mental breakdown, for me not casting resurrection glyph on him.... altho i am Freshair weaver....  

People are dumb.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eddbopkins.2630 said:

This is a team based game mode based on coordination and cooperation. And you want to remove all forms of communication to remove those two aspects of the game mode? 

Yes.

• Sad 1

So far, the entire thread is telling me to do what I'm already doing, so I guess I'm on the right track? Hiding chat and going invisible gets 90% of the way there, I'd just appreciate the last 10%.

It's occasionally funny to watch someone throw a downstate interaction, scribble all over the map, call target on our support, and start screaming profanities in /say, but it gets old pretty quickly—and it's distracting, it's useless information. Is this really an uncommon or unpopular ask?

Outside of the forums, it seems like a lot of people have bad opinions of the PvP environment. Since ANet is clearly struggling to moderate loudmouthed ragers, an option like this would probably help people ease into and stick to PvP, and a more robust population (especially at lower skill brackets) would help queue times and MM for everyone.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Shagie.7612 said:

struggling implies an attempt lol

I'm ignorant of what's going on behind the scenes—but nobody wants to make bad games or leave problems unsolved. I assume there are non-obvious challenges, and I hope that whatever they are, they can get resolved.

It does feel pretty dire sometimes, though. I wonder how much venom gets through the report system because the people who would be reporting it hid their chat tabs.