Dodge Jump, windows may be holding you back

Holy schnikes...if anyone has problems doing dodge jumps head into windows > ease of access > scroll down to interaction > keyboard. Turn off and uncheck all that mess. Filter keys was stopping it from going through. We're all more agile than we thought!

Now run forth to SAB and show it your new moves!

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I've always had all those options turned off, but that doesn't change a thing about the connection to the GW2 servers not always being fluent and dodge-jumps not going through about 40% of the time.

Dodge jump is client-side. It not going through only impacts evading while allowing unlimited dodges until it does.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Healix.5819 said:

Dodge jump is client-side.

Interesting. I don't have any client-sided input lags, so how come my dodge-jumps in GW2 often register as normal jumps, not executing the dodge part? I don't have this issue with any other game (for example, first-person shooters that allow duck-jump mechanics).

Edit @ confused reaction: How about you answered my question instead of making a dumb face? 😂

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Interesting. I don't have any client-sided input lags, so how come my dodge-jumps in GW2 often register as normal jumps, not executing the dodge part?

Using a macro (jump+dodge key down/up with no delay) should work 100% of the time, assuming you have enough endurance to dodge. If it ever fails, it's because GW2 or the macro was delayed in-between processing the jump and dodge key presses.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I have the secondary mapping options of dodge and jump set to adjacent keys on my keyboard to make it very easy and reliable to activate both at the same time. It works pretty much 100% of the time for me. 

Edited by Manasa Devi.7958
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I don't have this issue with any other game (for example, first-person shooters that allow duck-jump mechanics).

It's probably because these two things work and activate differently. I'm not sure what shooters you're talking about, but pretty sure at least in the ones I played with that possibility, you could jump and then hold duck shortly after jumping -if you started pressing crouch right at the end of the jump, you'd still crouch right at the end of the jump. This is not how dodge jumping in gw2 works -here if you're late (or early) with pressing it, it just doesn't work.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The timing is very tight in gw2 but if you do it reliably (or via macro) it works 100% of the time. 

It's probably unintended mechanic that was left in game that it award skill. Most shooters have intended mechanics and are more forgiving. For example UT2k4 all the double, wall... jumps are completely intended and very easy to do. Quakes on the other hand with strafing, cycle jumps and so on. Many of these were not intended mechanics and are very tight in vanilla iterations. But with later versions and mods these were made easier so more people could access it. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Healix.5819 said:

Using a macro (jump+dodge key down/up with no delay) should work 100% of the time

Unfortunately, it doesn't.

20 hours ago, Healix.5819 said:

If it ever fails, it's because GW2 or the macro was delayed in-between processing the jump and dodge key presses.

Okay, but what could be causing such a behavior? It's a macro that I programmed with Steel Series Engine 3.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 5

7 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Okay, but what could be causing such a behavior? It's a macro that I programmed with Steel Series Engine 3.

Macro software usually has a delay between simulated keystrokes. I never used that particular piece of software so I don't know if that's the case there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

The macro should be [jump key down] [dodge key down] [dodge key up] [jump key up] with no delays. If that fails, the macro software is probably running as a background process with low priority and your CPU usage is at 100% with GW2 taking priority, causing other processes to stutter. That said, this would generally only be noticeable if the macro contained delays, which will take longer under load.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Yes, it does. Manually I have probably around 90-95% success rate for dodge jumping, while macro never failed.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Healix.5819 said:

The macro should be [jump key down] [dodge key down] [dodge key up] [jump key up] with no delays.

Yes, that is the order I use.

1 hour ago, Healix.5819 said:

If that fails, the macro software is probably running as a background process with low priority and your CPU usage is at 100% with GW2 taking priority, causing other processes to stutter.

Ahh, that could be it! Thanks a lot. I will see to it. 🙂 

• Confused 3