How is water content after Core Tyria?

Underwater combat sucks, so there isn't much point in making it a focus and devoting resources to it.  They could update the weapons, add new ones, and develop more underwater content, but you're never going to get around the fact that one of GW2's strong points is the feel of movement and combat and underwater combat works against that.  Sorry you love it for some reason, but most people don't.

• Like 1

Water is the level below which had a lot of potential and even made more maneuverable with the underwater skimmer, but that you instantly try to make your way out of when you realise how much your skills suck... I'll make up a stat on the spot, but I also believe about 84.73% of the player base wears the level 42 rare aqua breather they got as a personal story reward still.

The fact that you can indeed get a lvl 80 exotic aquabreather for a mere 40 Badges of Honor from WvW is probably also a little known fact to 84.73% of the player base, if not even more...

• Like 2

I think water environment is unused asset they have not utilized fully. Only game I know where there is a 3D fights is Aion abyss zone and some maps. Dunno if I would enjoy fighting in all directions but its pretty unique thing.

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)

i think the big reason we didn't have proper underwater content is prior to secrets of obscure ,there was only one water plane in the entire map. this meant the map, as in the whole map, had to be designed with water combat as the main objective, as we can see they did in the orr maps, because all the terrain has to be shaped around the single water plane in order to have water in the right areas and that really only works with "coastline" style map geometry.

this is also why the majority of central tyria has far less water than orr, or other coastal areas, and why you see alot of fake water that you can't dive into. this kind of water gives the illusion of water existing in the map, but is merely a cosmetic (graphics and sound) effect with no actual water volumes.

to give an example of this, any map with large underground caves couldn't have water, unless they were filled with water (dragon's stand versus tangled depths). this is because you can't turn the water off below the water plane, its just there flooding the entire map, and the developers likely found this entire system too frustrating to work with, along with the overhead of having to manage pvp balance, make extra weapon skins, create proper underwater skills and so on.

in secrets of the obscure, they finally added proper water volumes that can exist freely anywhere in the map, so most of these problems are gone. this is why we can have water in maps that are located up in the sky, whereas previously we could not.

here's a mental exercise for you: imagine if they could've added water to verdant brink while still having mordremoth's tendrils below, or to auric basin without flooding the golden chambers below the ground, such as where you loot after the meta event. does it make some sense now?

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

For those like scenery, the geography variation and ambience is its still impressive, specially in LS4. Theres a lots more of rain, I like raining enviroments.

The best way to enjoy water areas in GW2 is fishing, you have a reason to revisiti many areas, and the collections achievments are massive, so if complete a tier, you have to repeat some maps.

On 5/7/2024 at 8:33 PM, Antycypator.9874 said:

Underwater content was added in 2012 and there have been 0 changes since that time.

There was, underwater content got removed here and there xD

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2024 at 5:54 PM, GBEW.5947 said:

The leviathan isnt a boss. so no it is not incorrect.

It has the 'epic' rank, which indicates world bosses, has special mechanics, and a specific reward (guaranteed ambergris). It's a world boss. Relatively simple and easy for that category, but nevertheless...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1