Returning player Feedback

Hello,

Just finished all the story missions after a 6 year break and been back in the game for a month.  Here are the things I find baffling lol.

- WvW 2 week penalty for transfer.  World Linking changes every few weeks.   Say you joined a WvW guild on Dragonbrand while your on SBI then SBI relinks to Darkhaven,  Then you spend 1000 gems to transfer to your current guild's World then your penalized for 2 weeks on rewards for doing WvW content...  There is nothing worse for a Returning player to join a guild and find out 3 weeks later that your WvW guild is no longer your WvW guild unless you pay 1000 gems and sacrifice rewards for 2 weeks.

- World/Story Completion is Character based.  Nothing is more annoying than having to redo all that story missions on another Character. In my opinion, Hero points, Map Completion, Story Completion should be account based.

- Relics, Inventory Bags and other Soulbound things should be account bound.  

- Canceling a PVP queue penalty should be increased from 3 min to 10min.  PVP seasons should be shorter.

That's all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Hirasaki.6208 said:

Say you joined a WvW guild on Dragonbrand while your on SBI then SBI relinks to Darkhaven,  Then you spend 1000 gems to transfer to your current guild's World then your penalized for 2 weeks on rewards for doing WvW content..

Apparently a hint is missing to suggest that you join a wvw guild that's on your server. How shall a new player know that.
If your wvw guild knew that you are a newbie (and after such a long break you are), then they should have told you that after relinking you'll lose your wvw guild.

The first transfer is free though. Maybe you transferred in the past. I had to pay gems too after my 7 year break (and I can't remember that I ever transferred; for my other accounts it's free).

49 minutes ago, Hirasaki.6208 said:

World/Story Completion is Character based.  Nothing is more annoying than having to redo all that story missions on another Character.

There is no need to do that on another character unless for fun. So let the ppl their fun who have fun with that.

If there's something to complain about GW2 story mode, then how it's a single player story mode even in a group.

50 minutes ago, Hirasaki.6208 said:

In my opinion, Hero points, Map Completion, Story Completion should be account based.

But then the maps will be empty.

51 minutes ago, Hirasaki.6208 said:

Relics, Inventory Bags and other Soulbound things should be account bound. 

Agreed. Soulbound shouldn't even exist in the first place.
Bag are account bound though, aren't they? Unless you mean story/levelling rewards.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

Map completion, and therefore hero points, are tied to legendaries. They would have to come up with another long term (because legendaries are meant to take time) method of obtaining such items.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I can't comment on transfers because I've never changed worlds, but I'd hate it if story and map completion copied across to my other character. That's a big part of why I have multiple characters, so I can play through the game again. Also as mentioned copying all your progress (and therefore effectively meaning you can only do it once) would mess with a lot of things, including achievements and legendaries.

Importantly though you don't need to do the story on every character if you don't want to. There's some maps you can't just walk to and the story is one way to get there, but you can also buy teleport scrolls from merchants in the map to get your other characters there, or use a teleport to friend (and a friend in the map) if you have one. Other than that I don't think anything character specific is gated behind story progress, so you can just skip it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hirasaki.6208 said:

Hello,

Just finished all the story missions after a 6 year break and been back in the game for a month.  Here are the things I find baffling lol.

- WvW 2 week penalty for transfer.  World Linking changes every few weeks.   Say you joined a WvW guild on Dragonbrand while your on SBI then SBI relinks to Darkhaven,  Then you spend 1000 gems to transfer to your current guild's World then your penalized for 2 weeks on rewards for doing WvW content...  There is nothing worse for a Returning player to join a guild and find out 3 weeks later that your WvW guild is no longer your WvW guild unless you pay 1000 gems and sacrifice rewards for 2 weeks.

It's 1 full week so the reward penalty can vary between the almost full 14 days, if you transfered right after reset and 7 days if you transfer right before a reset.

The penalty is in place to prevent even more bandwagoning. One could have a discussion about how effective it is at preventing bandwagoning, but currently this is the only penalty in place.

TL;DR: competative integrity beats personal rewards here.

- World/Story Completion is Character based.  Nothing is more annoying than having to redo all that story missions on another Character. In my opinion, Hero points, Map Completion, Story Completion should be account based.

No. The reasons are many, some in regards to thus games reward structure and long term goals, others have to do with the already very limited character development given so much is account wide.

You are bascially back after 6 years wnd the first thing you ask for is to skip game content. Not a sign of someone who is here to stay.

Some are, others were specifically desigbed to not be. I believe inventory bags are account wide, inventory bag slots are not.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

The first transfer is free though. Maybe you transferred in the past. I had to pay gems too after my 7 year break (and I can't remember that I ever transferred; for my other accounts it's free).

There is no free first transfer, except for free accounts that upgrade to paid accounts. You could transfer for free for the first few months after launch, though.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, RoseofGilead.8907 said:

There is no free first transfer, except for free accounts that upgrade to paid accounts. You could transfer for free for the first few months after launch, though.

3 of my 4 accounts can transfer for free, and none of my accounts was ever a free account. All bought. Unless you count the heroic ed as free, that's how acc #4 started.
(My 2nd acc, 3 years old: https://i.postimg.cc/3RkTMhJy/gw494.jpg)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)

I guess the Wiki needs an update!  That's quite a nice change (after the 'remove all characters - transfer at no cost' option was removed). 

I've never transferred (playing since pre-launch) and I just tried it....no go, cheapest is 500 Gems. 

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I've never transferred (playing since pre-launch) and I just tried it....no go, cheapest is 500 Gems. 

Same with my main account. Created with release and had to pay for a transfer and I'm pretty sure I've never done a transfer. (Because then I would need a transfer back since I was still on the same server I started on)

My other accounts are between 1-3 years old.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

3 of my 4 accounts can transfer for free, and none of my accounts was ever a free account. All bought. Unless you count the heroic ed as free, that's how acc #4 started.
(My 2nd acc, 3 years old: https://i.postimg.cc/3RkTMhJy/gw494.jpg)

Two of my paid accounts (one started at launch, the other started about 10 years ago) have no free transfer option. My third account does have it, but that one was a free one that I upgraded with a Heroic Edition code (and later with HoT/PoF bundle). I have two other free accounts, but they're not upgraded.

The overwhelming consensus (based on reddit/forums results and the wiki) seems to be that only free accounts that upgrade get that free transfer.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

This has everything to do with learning the format and taking a bit of time to figure out, rather than just throwing money at things. It's a complex game. Some things require explanation. Join a helpful guild or find someone to talk to before spending gems in a new mode. There's a reason for the penalty for transfer (and it's not two weeks, it's one full week). It's to stop band-wagoning. People transfer around to servers doing better. It's bad for the format.

Why do you have to do story on each character?

It wouldn't bother me, but there are reasons for this too. It has to do with keeping the economy flowing. Sounds like you care about what's good for you, but if all this soulbound stuff was account bound, prices of drops would come down and rewards would be worth less.

Edited by Vayne.8563
formatting
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, RoseofGilead.8907 said:

Two of my paid accounts (one started at launch, the other started about 10 years ago) have no free transfer option. My third account does have it, but that one was a free one that I upgraded with a Heroic Edition code (and later with HoT/PoF bundle). I have two other free accounts, but they're not upgraded.

The overwhelming consensus (based on reddit/forums results and the wiki) seems to be that only free accounts that upgrade get that free transfer.

Acc#1 - soon 12 years old - no free transfer
Acc #2 - soon 3 years old - was PoF bought from the start on some third party side - free transfer
Acc #3 - bit over 2 years old - was the Complete Ed bought when it was on sale on Anet store - free transfer
Acc #4  - soon 7 months old - was heroic Ed that was given away from Alienware Arena - free transfer

Main acc is up to SotO, rest up to EoD.

I would say at some point a free transfer was added, but older accounts were not included in such an update.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)

I'm done with this game.  Hey returning player, don't waste your time.  It has been EIGHT MONTHS since Secrets of the Obscure dropped.  Nothing else is on the way.  The only event now is the  Super Adventure Box.  The same sucky event that has been going on every spring FOREVER.  There isn't another event for at least TWO MONTHS.  There is no reason to play.

Edited by Dragenstein.2671
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 14
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Dragenstein.2671 said:

I'm done with this game.  Hey returning player, don't waste your time.  It has been EIGHT MONTHS since Secrets of the Obscure dropped.  Nothing else is on the way.  The only event now is the  Super Adventure Box.  The same sucky event that has been going on every spring FOREVER.  There isn't another event for at least TWO MONTHS.  There is no reason to play.

Did you miss the part where they said they'd release an expansion per year where content of that expansion would be released in installments?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Dibit.6259 said:

Did you miss the part where they said they'd release an expansion per year where content of that expansion would be released in installments?

Do you believe everything you see on the internet?  Waiting for an "installment" that is worth playing.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Dragenstein.2671 said:

Do you believe everything you see on the internet?  Waiting for an "installment" that is worth playing.

Well that dont really matter, they have released installments over the year.

That it is less then what you me or anyone else want is irrelevant to them they have done as tthey said they would do.

Only one you can blame is yourself for buying something without knowing the full details and that is the reason I still havent bought SotO myself.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Dragenstein.2671 said:

Well I've actually seen it happen in game so... 🙂

Worth is subjective and saying anet hasn't done something just because it didn't live up to your standards doesn't make it true. They told us they were gonna do stuff differently so it makes sense that expansions and content release would be different too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 5/3/2024 at 7:43 AM, Hirasaki.6208 said:

-Inventory Bags and other Soulbound things should be account bound.  

Agreed

But it's too late for that

But they should have made it account wide but more expensive instead of current system

Like instead of a character bound bag slot being 400 gems. Should be 1000 or even 1500 gems for a account wide bag slot

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 5/6/2024 at 10:54 AM, Dragenstein.2671 said:

SAB is a super popular event and most of the people I play with were in there every day.  The last installment of Secrets of the Obscure dropped less than 3 months ago and the next one is in two weeks, which is coming with a new fractal, and a fractal challenge mode. The next expansion is expected to come out in August.

The game may not be for you, but if you're just going to invent stuff, it doesn't give you much credibility.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3