Primordial Orchid Nodes

The primordial orchid nodes, the ones we planted in the world, operate in a manner that is less beneficial to us than normal tree nodes, and the primordial node in our homes.

Specifically, if you harvest the PO node in the home, it does not do the 'collapse' animation until you do the 3rd pull. If you started harvesting with 2 left on a limited supply of axes, it will stop, let you equip new axes, and finish the 3rd chop before collapsing.

If you harvest the same PO nodes in, say, Dry Top, the node collapses on the 'first pull', but lets you continue with your 3 chops, if you have the axes, which is fine. If you only have 1 axe left in the equipped stack of limited axes, however, the tree collapses, you get the first pull, but it won't let you get the remaining 2 pulls once you equip new axes.

@Khisanth.2948 said:You can actually finish chopping those by using a different character.

That's interesting, thank you.

It's still something that is bugged. When I started playing GW2, and logged a tree in Queensdale, if I ran out on chop 1 or 2, I could equip new tools and finish chopping that one node. I did not find myself asking about this in the (old) discussion forums, to be told "well, you just create a new character and can go out and finish chopping it". That's...absurd. :)

• 3 months later...

This is still a thing. In particular, I log the 3 trees I planted in Dry Top every morning, and each morning I have to check to see how many Volatile axes I have on my character. If it's less than 9, I need to swap it out before starting to chop a tree with less than 3 axes left, otherwise I only get the number of chops left. Those trees collapse 'on the first hit', and if you run out of axes before your 3 chops, tough luck.

Interesting, the one in the home instance does not behave this way. It collapses as 'all' other trees in the world do: when it's exhausted.

Also another bug I've noticed with these nodes, possibly related:

If you use an unlimited gathering tool with an animation other than the traditional "chop" animation (e.g., the frozen wasps one, the unbound magic one, the flute, etc.) then you very often only get one pull and that's it. Sometimes (here read: iirc, rarely), you can get all three pulls, but not usually. Even more fun is that when you don't get all three pulls out of the first tree, the remaining two can't be interacted with.

@Narrrz.7532 said:The trees in melandru are totally bugged. I have never been able to harvest them at all.

You have to log them from back to front (front being the side with the steps)Once you log an orchid there, you can only log the one still in front of it. So start at the back, and make your way forward.

Ive bedn reporting this for months but anet hasn’t acknowledged theyre aware, yet, sadly

Same thing OP is describing happens if you yourself stop the chopping on the 1st "chop animation" - say for example you realized you had the wrong axe when the 1st chop hits, and wants to stop and switch to another axe. The node is no longer usable unless you go to another instance or go there with another character. It clearly "collapses" on the 1st chop, something no other node does.

@"darksome.1697" said:Same thing OP is describing happens if you yourself stop the chopping on the 1st "chop animation" - say for example you realized you had the wrong axe when the 1st chop hits, and wants to stop and switch to another axe. The node is no longer usable unless you go to another instance or go there with another character. It clearly "collapses" on the 1st chop, something no other node does.

I haven't been back to Draconis Mons (sp?) in a long time, but something I never tested was if that happened with the original ones in that zone as well? My tests have always been with the 3 ones we planted, specifically in Dry Top. I know the home node does 'not' behave that way. It works like a normal tree. I don't recall if I ever tested the real trees.

Archived