Is celestial mandatory to roam?

6 minutes ago, DarkK.7368 said:

Lot of contradictory points of view here. I'll have to think about it and maybe try some cele, at least in exotics!

Technically it’s cele you want first as ascended. Since it’s a universal gear you can literally use it for any build on any class, just swapping a few trinkets out shift your stats enough to be like 90% of a “pure” build.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, DarkK.7368 said:

Lot of contradictory points of view here. I'll have to think about it and maybe try some cele, at least in exotics!

If you aren't using a build editor, try this one:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/ 

Set your mode to WvW and then you can mix and match and try before you buy or build anything. You can also adjust things like might stacks and other stackable sigils to check you numbers and damage figure out before hand. 

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Even if eventually you plan to play full glass, you would still benefit from playing celestial berserker. It will allow you to survive long enough to see enemy animations and rotations. With all due respect, if you're silver in spvp then you are definitely not at the level where you can really exploit a glassy build. I'd say get comfortable on celestial berserker first and  then experiment with more difficult/glassy builds later.

Edited by Kuya.6495
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

If you aren't using a build editor, try this one:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/ 

Set your mode to WvW and then you can mix and match and try before you buy or build anything. You can also adjust things like might stacks and other stackable sigils to check you numbers and damage figure out before hand. 

Since someone got confused over both yours and my post I do have to admit I exaggerated my claim of 90% somewhat. For example cele weapon and armor with marauder trinkets is only 88% the stats of full marauder (since vitality and ferocity is the same, only power and precision has more stats and we ignore the extra cele stats).

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Confused 1

You don't need Cele unless you wanna fight 4-5 vs 2 but if you lose 1 vs 2 then armor stats wont help you anyway.

If you are desperate then play this braindead set up if you both wanna get gud and swap classes

You go full Marauder scholar runes Shadow Arts Deadeye Rifle main set and swap set Sword/Dagger , Dagger/Pistol or even second Rifle, dodge food, Relic whatever you need.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PawAQxjlNweYbsOmJeUXnvLA-DWJYiR9fp0UI0WBkZC0bEY7JAWqyMCA-w

Get your friend to play a tanky condi druid like Trailblazer armor and apothecary, Staff Shortbow, speed relic or demon queen. 
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAUZlVwCZeMG2JWePpt7SG3eA-DWRYRRF6jMcgnSkKgKlAZKE6VEowfDsYmnGA-w

Mobility stealth CC  Immob and healing. Deadeye ganks while Druid tanks. The better you get at the game and teamwork the less you need Cele builds and can jus run power to end fights fast. Learn how to play tactically with your mobility and stealth.

If you both don't wanna swap classes then just play celestial/Trailblazer Berserker and Reaper. Celestial overall is better but Trailblazer for these builds does just fine too.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSwEYSNsMBmHrh5wKxiWqtpC-D2IY1o+vUiMCqMB6sA6NEU8nALV5pBA-w

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwAkyNlJwaYYMRmJeKX+tfA-D2IY1oj/UiUEUpQITJQuKAF+Bglq80AA-w

Look up guides on these builds, watch some YT vids, streams or try to learn yourself whatever suits you guys just make sure to read what's in your build.

• Confused 3

Check the cele spb and harb builds and go with that. Especially cele harb is as noob friendly as a build can be.

Its not mandatory to play cele, in the same way its not mandatory to roam. You roam because you want to, because its fun to you, not because it leads to success. I did one duel on cele spb and its so insanely boring and mind numbing, I sat to die and never played it again. But yeah, I had 0 experience, just spammed abilities and it worked. My opponent was a cele hammer cata; was a while ago but not much has changed.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Oslaf Beinir.5842 said:

You don't need Cele unless you wanna fight 4-5 vs 2 but if you lose 1 vs 2 then armor stats wont help you anyway.

Isn't it the opposite?

If you rely on outnumbering, builds matters way less, because you will be getting carried by numbers anyway. On you own and outnumbered, builds (and gear stats as part of builds) can make a huge difference tho and 1-2vX is where cele might excel the most.

Edited by Zyreva.1078

1 hour ago, Zyreva.1078 said:

If you rely on outnumbering, builds matters way less, because you will be getting carried by numbers anyway.

Careful, you might break the illusion of what skill is and make people sad.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Careful, you might break the illusion of what skill is and make people sad.

Don't worry, as cele abuser i'm always the noob and everyone who kills me is obviously more skilled than i am. Every single one of them.

Edited by Zyreva.1078

It sounds like you want actually balanced encounters. In this case, I recommend just queueing PvP with your friend.

WvW has terrible balance. At least in PvP you will be using balanced stat amulets in even-numbered fights.

You won’t mechanically improve much in WvW.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lonecap.4105 said:

It sounds like you want actually balanced encounters. In this case, I recommend just queueing PvP with your friend.

WvW has terrible balance. At least in PvP you will be using balanced stat amulets in even-numbered fights.

You won’t mechanically improve much in WvW.

Hmm never seen saying wvw balance is worse then pvp that's new. If you think pvp is more mechanically then wvw that's a player issue cause it's not by a long shot.

• Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Mike.3196 said:

Hmm never seen saying wvw balance is worse then pvp that's new. If you think pvp is more mechanically then wvw that's a player issue cause it's not by a long shot.

? Care to elaborate?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike.3196 said:

Well, in sPvP at least numbers are balanced, and there is also at least a semblance of skill balance. Meanwhile WvW is imbalanced by design, it can be 50vs1 and hardcore veterans on meta builds in full asc/legendary gear vs complete newbies on low level chars with random dropped stuff.

And while the combat mechanics are generally the same in both game modes, it is much easier to learn how to fight other players in spvp, because fight frequency is higher and those fights tend to be more balanced and less "roflstomp-y". Learning PvP in WvW is really hard, because new players are either getting run over or they join zergs and learn little to nothing about combat other than maybe stack on tag, avoid red circles and spam aoe when the com calls for it. Neither is very helpful outside of a zerg.

So telling someone to go to spvp if they want to get better at combat is good advice. Once someone has become better at fighting players in spvp, transitioning into WvW will be much easier.

Edited by Zyreva.1078
  • Thanks 4