With Landspears confirmed, what you want it to be?

1 hour ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Ele: Anet would do it. That and they have been wanting a new ranged weapon for quite some time.

I wonder if what we saw in the reveal trailer is an Ele chucking a ground targeted AoE spear.

15 minutes ago, XSevSpreeX.2143 said:

I wonder if what we saw in the reveal trailer is an Ele chucking a ground targeted AoE spear.

I can't see it be any other profession, unless they want Warrior or Revenant to have to have a second ranged burn weapon.

That said, them giving Warrior a weapon with four clunky ground-targetted AoEs wouldn't surprise me.

50 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

That said, them giving Warrior a weapon with four clunky ground-targetted AoEs wouldn't surprise me.

How about making it a 100% power weapon and then adding condi only on the Primal Burst Skill, just like underwater Spear?

Not to be a negative natterer but it wouldn't surprise me....

55 minutes ago, Geoff Fey.1035 said:

How about making it a 100% power weapon and then adding condi only on the Primal Burst Skill, just like underwater Spear?

aaaand harpoon gun.
aaaand mace.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Why does Guardian get so many yellow'ish effects?

These yellow effects would fit Warrior more than Guardian.

Holy light theming, and yellow and blue are complementary colours (or close to being complementary colours, depending on how precise you want to be with the definition). Yellow and red-orange have been the typical go-to colours for guardian whenever they don't want to just have more blue.

Edited by draxynnic.3719

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Holy light theming, and yellow and blue are complementary colours (or close to being complementary colours, depending on how precise you want to be with the definition). Yellow and red-orange have been the typical go-to colours for guardian whenever they don't want to just have more blue.

But the issue here is that Guardian, even it's "holy" elements, have always been blue themed. If I remember correctly, Monk in GW1 also is mostly blue.

Yellow has always been Warrior, Paragon and Revenant's Ventari. Arguably, GW2's Earth Elementalist also counts for yellow, although that one is more brown in my opinion.

Even the bits and pieces Guardian received from Paragon and GW1's Warrior are blue, not yellow.

In short, other than an arbitrary decision to break down its colour identity, there's no reason for Guardian to get yellow effects.

8 hours ago, Geoff Fey.1035 said:

It wouldn't surprise me, if the least used ability on a weapon would be the only condition ability.

It sounds like a realistic to me, not a negative one.

Edited by Fueki.4753

Posted (edited)

Looking at topic of the thread - realism aside i just thought of an awesome idea of what I want the spear for warrior to be.
How about something really REALLY WARRIOR?

Make it both a mainhand and 2h weapon!
If you equip spear in mainhand with nothing in offhand - it's a 2h melee weapon.
If you equip an offhand - it's a mainhand javelin for throwing!

We're supposed to be the most physical profession among the roster and masters of arms, so it would make sense
we could break the limits of spear and be able to use it as a one handed weapon!

Edited by StraightPath.3972
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

Looking at topic of the thread - realism aside i just thought of an awesome idea of what I want the spear for warrior to be.
How about something really REALLY WARRIOR?

Make it both a mainhand and 2h weapon!
If you equip spear in mainhand with nothing in offhand - it's a 2h melee weapon.
If you equip an offhand - it's a mainhand javelin for throwing!

We're supposed to be the most physical profession among the roster and masters of arms, so it would make sense
we could break the limits of spear and be able to use it as a one handed weapon!

SPARTANS, WHAT IS YOUR PROFESSION!

Edited by WingSwipe.3084

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

But the issue here is that Guardian, even it's "holy" elements, have always been blue themed. If I remember correctly, Monk in GW1 also is mostly blue.

Yellow has always been Warrior, Paragon and Revenant's Ventari. Arguably, GW2's Earth Elementalist also counts for yellow, although that one is more brown in my opinion.

Even the bits and pieces Guardian received from Paragon and GW1's Warrior are blue, not yellow.

In short, other than an arbitrary decision to break down its colour identity, there's no reason for Guardian to get yellow effects.

Not always. The biggest and clearest counterexample come from firebrand tomes - Tome of Courage is normally yellow and blue, and Tome of Justice is normally orange and blue, and I just noticed that Tome of Resolve has hints of sea-green although it doesn't stand out as much. Mantras mostly all have an additional colour as an accent or even overpowering the blue. Willbender Flames have a red accent, Symbol of Ignition on pistols turns the front of the affected projectiles yellow, and the chains generated by dragonhunters (including Hunter's Ward) are a metallic yellow. There may well be more I didn't think of, that's just what I thought of and verified.

Blue is definitely the primary colour, but there is plenty of precedent for yellow accents, or even swapping around to be yellow with blue accents.

Looking at the video, in fact, I think what they're doing is using colour as a clear marker of when a skill is affected by Illuminated or not - if it's Illuminated, it's mostly yellow, otherwise, it's mostly blue. So there might well be an important signalling function there... and yellow is the most common secondary colour that's easily distinguishable from blue (outside of people with blue-yellow colourblindness, anyway).

Edited by draxynnic.3719

On 6/5/2024 at 12:09 PM, StraightPath.3972 said:

On that sir, we'll stand on opposite sides of the fence.
I got this javelin fantasy going, and i very much want to see my warrior
hurl that spear at his enemies for some major pain.

Also bear trap on a rope.. ekhum.. I mean spear on a rope for a pull would be very nice.
If drunken downstate engies can do it, why can't we?

Well I'll take whatever spear you throw at me, and jab you in the rear with it!

How could you treat our poor, sweet, precious pokey-stick that way!

I'm just imagining a long pole with a bear trap on the end instead of a spearhead... and I kind of want it as a skin now lmao

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Arewn.2368 said:

I'm just imagining a long pole with a bear trap on the end instead of a spearhead... and I kind of want it as a skin now lmao

Love the idea, but we can't let a-net fudge this one up.
The trap has to have a snap animation when enemies are pulled with the spear.
With proper "Clang" sound to boot!

Edited by StraightPath.3972
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1