Legendary spear clarification

Posted (edited)

Can we get confirmation on the wording when it comes to legendary spears?

Is it we can equip the spear in EITHER slot, or both slots when it comes to land and underwater? It says either, which leads me to believe either or, not both

Edited by tonyajc.2618
  • Confused 4

"Spears can be used interchangeably in the aquatic and terrestrial weapon slots, but you will need to equip multiple spears to use them in both locations."

It sounds like we'll only be able to equip it (or any other spear) to one of the slots at a time, which is just disappointing.

• Like 2

It's the same as any other legendary weapon. You get a dagger you can use it in one slot. You can of course slap the skin onto different slots, but the actual stat selectable utility is usable once per weapon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Those are my assumptions as well. The wording feels clear that you would need 2 legendary spears to use one in both your aquatic and land spots, but others are trying to argue otherwise.

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)

You will need 2 legendary spears for stat swap feature. 4 at most... Spear skins have a lot of catching up to do.

(Also I can't imagine how much Joko would hate this.)

Edited by Doggie.3184

Posted (edited)

The legendary spear will be the new land weapon, for sure. If you want a legendary underwater spear, you will need to craft one of the old underwater weapons. But you will be able to use the land-skin on the underwater weapon, and vice versa.

Edit: I stand corrected. 🙂 

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, Ashantara.8731 said:

The legendary spear will be the new land weapon, for sure. If you want a legendary underwater spear, you will need to craft one of the old underwater weapons. But you will be able to use the land-skin on the underwater weapon, and vice versa.

Pretty sure you'll be able to use it either on land or underwater ("Spears can be used interchangeably in the aquatic and terrestrial weapon slots"); we just won't be able to assign it to both at the same time ("but you will need to equip multiple spears to use them in both locations.").

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Effrafax.2734 said:

Pretty sure you'll be able to use it either on land or underwater ("Spears can be used interchangeably in the aquatic and terrestrial weapon slots");

Oops! I stand corrected.

Edit @ confused person: I did not read the blog post prior to this, only the offical promo site, because the blog post link wasn't working earlier (Error 404).

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Effrafax.2734 said:

"Spears can be used interchangeably in the aquatic and terrestrial weapon slots, but you will need to equip multiple spears to use them in both locations."

It sounds like we'll only be able to equip it (or any other spear) to one of the slots at a time, which is just disappointing.

Yeah I was thinking about this but that would mean you'd need to make two legendary spears also. One the one hand I get it but on the other hand making two legendary weapons with the same skin is kinda meh. Maybe they'll take that into account when making legendary spears for both slots. Perhaps they can add a legendary spear to gen2 and gen3.

Pre-announcement, I was hoping (but not expecting) they'd let us use the same spear in a land slot and a water slot at the same time (and maybe streamline the whole helmet/breather situation while they were at it). Looks like I'll keep using cheap exotics for underwater, even if I really like the land movesets and get ascended/legendary for them.

Posted (edited)

At a recent Revenant Philosophy Study Group, we talked about the case of the "revenant with a classic blindfold", whom doesn't actually know if they are standing on land or in water.. but still wants to thrust the weapon he is holding anyway. Does he have to wait for divine intervention before performing the actual thrust?  😄

Edited by hugeboss.5432
  • Haha 1

I was just thinking about various weapon sets configurations but if you use legendary gear then you should be able to collect up to three legendary spears in your armory because 1 for underwater and 2 for land-based weapon sets for people who want to use different sigils per spear.

2 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I was just thinking about various weapon sets configurations but if you use legendary gear then you should be able to collect up to three legendary spears in your armory because 1 for underwater and 2 for land-based weapon sets for people who want to use different sigils per spear.

Will the spear be 1 or 2 handed (or differently for different classes)? You may need up to 5 if it is sometimes a 1-handed main and off hand weapon, e.g. a double throw spear Diablo 2 barbar as warrior in gw2?

14 minutes ago, Dayra.7405 said:

Will the spear be 1 or 2 handed (or differently for different classes)? You may need up to 5 if it is sometimes a 1-handed main and off hand weapon, e.g. a double throw spear Diablo 2 barbar as warrior in gw2?

From what we can see in the video, there's no off-hands in any of the scenes and also the underwater spear is 2-handed, so I think I can safely state that it'll be 2-handed.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

From what we can see in the video, there's no off-hands in any of the scenes and also the underwater spear is 2-handed, so I think I can safely state that it'll be 2-handed.

The video shows only one action, I think the text says, some classes poke with it, some will throw. It did not say anything about 1/2-handed, so I would not rule it out, it's just speculative (and hehe hope from my side 🙂 ) for us at moment.

Edited by Dayra.7405

3 minutes ago, Dayra.7405 said:

The video shows only one action, I think the text says, some classes poke with it, some will throw. It did not say anything about 1/2-handed, so I would not rule it out, it's just speculative for us at moment.

lol, you should watch the trailer again because there are multiple actions with the spear and if they would be one-handed then why not show it? It's what they usually do.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

lol, you should watch the trailer again because there are multiple actions with the spear and if they would be one-handed then why not show it? It's what they usually do.

I did not saw throwing in the video as well, it was mainly one char (class), shortly a 2nd at the end. Maybe we (and the balancing) get a weapon beta for it within the next three month.

Edited by Dayra.7405

18 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Yeah I was thinking about this but that would mean you'd need to make two legendary spears also. One the one hand I get it but on the other hand making two legendary weapons with the same skin is kinda meh. Maybe they'll take that into account when making legendary spears for both slots. Perhaps they can add a legendary spear to gen2 and gen3.

But you won't have to make 2 of the same legendary since they're adding a new legendary spear.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XSevSpreeX.2143 said:

But you won't have to make 2 of the same legendary since they're adding a new legendary spear.

You're right; I forgot there's already a gen1 spear, but they should at least add a gen3 spear, because gen3 has an overall theme and not having that theme for spears would be a mistake. It doesn't affect me personally, but I know some players are upset because of this and I do get them.

If the community will make Anet go back and backfill skins (including legendaries!) when they release a new weapon type, then you can be sure that they will never do that again. Be thankful that we're getting new skins going forward. They'll probably release something that you like before long.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frazazel.7501 said:

If the community will make Anet go back and backfill skins (including legendaries!) when they release a new weapon type, then you can be sure that they will never do that again. Be thankful that we're getting new skins going forward. They'll probably release something that you like before long.

Well, I'm fine with that except for gen3 legendary weapons. They really should add spear skins to that imo. The other generations had a wild variety of looks but gen3 had a uniform theme to it and as such, they really should. However, you're right I doubt they will.