Warrior Spear

Kunavi.2407

On 6/9/2024 at 9:09 AM, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

Warrior needs more ranged weapons so I'm hoping it's that instead. 

Mid-ranged weapons (900 range) would be nice for them. I got to say though, large throwing weapons in this game look kind of crappy. When an engineer throws their shield it uses a low resolution starter shield model. Same thing for warriors throwing their greatswords. There are other examples. I do wish that they would implement throwing weapon models duplicating our current weapons like in other games.

On 6/10/2024 at 12:32 PM, Malus.2184 said:

I hope it'll be a proper Condi weapon, Warriors have so few of those, and then traits are being reworked to also support the spear in addition to the sword.

They need the ranged weapons they have to work properly first. The rifle is so scuffed.

Very much this, Warrior is missing a 2 handed melee condi weapon. That being said I won't be disappointed if it's going to be ranged, although I would rather have either MH Pistol, Shortbow or possible Crossbow rework from Harpoonguns as Warrior's new ranged option.

Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2024 at 1:55 PM, kiroho.4738 said:

That's really no arguement.

No, there never was. I was just stating my preference and wish, as well as saying that to me it would be more appropriate for such a weapon to be melee. I don't mind all the fantasy elements, where did you come up with that? Take it easy, all right? 🙂

Edited by Kunavi.2407

42 minutes ago, Kunavi.2407 said:

No, there never was. 🙂

Well this is what you said:

On 6/12/2024 at 11:35 AM, Kunavi.2407 said:

Even so, a spear is a melee weapon. 

I think this is what kiroho was referring to. This is a statement of fact (even though it's false) rather than an expression of preference. I suspect though that it wasn't intended the way you said it here.

The people crying out for warrior needing another ranged weapon and not asking to BUFF THE FREAKING RIFLE is not it.

What we ended up getting instead is some weird ranged antithesis weapon that does more in melee range than in the backline. A Paragon with no shield even. What a worthless addition.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Kanek.5472 said:

The people crying out for warrior needing another ranged weapon and not asking to BUFF THE FREAKING RIFLE is not it.

The thing is, we have been asking for improvements to rifle for well over 10 years now and only got minuscule changes that ended up not changing anything about the horrendous state of the Rifle.

Thus, we know from experience that they are not interested in giving rifle meaningful changes. That's why we know that getting a completely new ranged weapon with modern design had a higher chance to exist than Rifle getting properly buffed. They even put ranged waste on Junksworn's kit, instead of buffing Rifle.

And we don't even know, if spear will be any good at range. For all we know, most of its damage could be tied to the melee gimmick and ranged attacks barely do more than tickling the enemies.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/19/2024 at 5:45 PM, Gehenna.3625 said:

Yes, this is what I base my personal preference on, a RL fact(That spears were indeed widely used as melee weapons), and that is what I said there?... I'm resting my case, I'm not looking to argue, if you two wanna imagine things go ahead and believe what you want 🙂 I already stated my intention and worded it properly, if someone's looking to argue they'll do that and then try to blame it on anything that fits that narrative.

Just to be clear I'm aware there is a huge variety of weapons that fall under the category of spears and they can be used in quite a few ways, that said it looks unlikely to me, based on what circumstances we've seen and what situations we've been in, that the Commander/WayFinder would be throwing their spear if it was their main weapon of choice. Perhaps if it was one of its skills I'd be fine, as is the case with GS.

As a side note, seeing the MC magically generate 200 spears and fire them rapidly forming a vomit coloured beam, looks ridiculous to me... Which I mention not with the intent to argue but to state my personal view 🙂 

Any way- To me personally, the spear demonstration looked beyond cartoon levels and quite boring even if my preference was different, when it comes to Warrior. I hope it's there to fill a niche and never becomes competitive for any Build... I don't even wanna consider the contradictions it presents in terms of function(Ranged weapon which is better at melee per the demonstration) or how silly it sounds when someone says out loud we throw a spear so hard it splinters and that's how it AOEs.

Edited by Kunavi.2407
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, Kunavi.2407 said:

I don't even wanna consider the contradictions it presents in terms of function(Ranged weapon which is better at melee per the demonstration) or how silly it sounds when someone says out loud we throw a spear so hard it splinters and that's how it AOEs.

Spears were strictly ranged weapons in the first guild wars but also this game has never had a big focus on realism and revels in over the top stuff so this is a silly crticism imo. 

19 hours ago, Kunavi.2407 said:

I don't even wanna consider the contradictions it presents in terms of function(Ranged weapon which is better at melee per the demonstration) or how silly it sounds when someone says out loud we throw a spear so hard it splinters and that's how it AOEs.

I guess you missed the part where Berserker swings their weapon so hard that it ignites the air around it to do burning damage. Yes, that was actually a thing for greatsword with Berserker originally.

Edited by Zera.9435

11 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

I guess you missed the part where Berserker swings their weapon so hard that it ignites the air around it to do burning damage. Yes, that was actually a thing for greatsword with Berserker originally.

Shouldn't that also cause thunderclaps to happen? 🤔

On 6/21/2024 at 3:39 AM, Fueki.4753 said:

The thing is, we have been asking for improvements to rifle for well over 10 years now and only got minuscule changes that ended up not changing anything about the horrendous state of the Rifle.

Thus, we know from experience that they are not interested in giving rifle meaningful changes. That's why we know that getting a completely new ranged weapon with modern design had a higher chance to exist than Rifle getting properly buffed. They even put ranged waste on Junksworn's kit, instead of buffing Rifle.

And we don't even know, if spear will be any good at range. For all we know, most of its damage could be tied to the melee gimmick and ranged attacks barely do more than tickling the enemies.

Plus, a bit of redundancy can protect against balance swings. If rifle was buffed today, and then nerfed again in three months, we could be right back to where we started. Having two weapons that perform a similar role means that there's much less chance of both of them being unusably bad at the same time.

• Like 1