Wizard Vault makes me nervous about the new expansion

On 6/13/2024 at 10:37 PM, Gaiawolf.8261 said:

Ohh? So Janthir can get a cool beach to hang out on! Yay!

Why do you need a beach when everyone will be running around throughout Kryta and Cantha in their swimwear?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I don't think the Wizard's Vault was revolutionary, but it definitely was an improvement to the visibility of daily rewards. They used to be hidden away in the achievement tab of the hero panel, but now they're in a highlighted UI element, and the available rewards are right there, too.

They could have given us the same rewards structure using the old daily achievement system with an NPC that takes the new currency, for sure. But I don't get why you're upset that they also gave it a coat of paint and made it more visible and accessible to new folks.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/11/2024 at 9:47 AM, Kranlor Greyhelm.8417 said:

They could have added the new currency, added that currency to a bunch of daily/weekly/one off achievements, and given us a vendor that sold the rewards.

That's literally Astral Acclaim. No?

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Kranlor Greyhelm.8417 said:

Yes. That's literally the point.

Instead we got a bunch of new restrictions on what you could do to earn AA, removing player choice. And a UI that makes it more difficult to spend it than a vendor is. All downside, no benefit. Just a shiny UI to distract people from how bad it is.

Instead of what? Everything you ask for is included in WV.
The UI allows players to check their activity progress easily in one click.
Also I don't see why you think the WV UI is any difficult to use. It gives a much clearer overview of the items plus you are not bound to any NPC. No downside, only benefit.

You say "it destracts people from how bad it is", but don't bother to explain what you think is bad about it.
Even in your initial post you only claim that a vendor works "better", but never why.

The only valid point you have is that with the WV UI you only can choose to buy 1 or 5 of a reward, while at most vendors, you can choose the amount freely.
It's indeed a point, but if you look at the amount of each reward and how you get AA, it's not that much of an issue.
Most rewards haven't much pieces to buy anyways and if you are not actively hoarding your AA, it's notmuch clicking.
You loose like 3 minutes of clicking per season - per 3 months -, that's really not an issue.

8 hours ago, Kranlor Greyhelm.8417 said:

Are we losing the ability to read and understand simple things?

Idk, are you?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/11/2024 at 9:47 AM, Kranlor Greyhelm.8417 said:

Wizard vault was one of the major parts of the last expansion, if ANET are to be believed. A major rework of the rewards system, they sold it as. But really, was it?

It was.

They could have added the new currency, added that currency to a bunch of daily/weekly/one off achievements, and given us a vendor that sold the rewards. The exact thing that they've done for every major patch in the last 11 years. We wouldn't have had all the issues about "picking" what type of activities you wanted to include, . We wouldn't have had the issue with only being able to pick 1 or 5 of each reward, leading to the farcical waste of time clicking it again and again. The "fill the bar" style activity would provide the cap on the rewards.

If they'd just used a vendor, we would have had a system that worked BETTER than the one we now have, without the effort wasted on a shiny new UI/UX that is functionally worse and offers no benefits. It was produced purely so they'd have something to hold up as a "feature" of the new expansion.

The goal behind adding the wizard vault was to fundamentally change how players interact with the game on the login reward level. Not simply add more loot, which they did too.

Simply adding a vendor would not have accomplished the same effect.

As to continued to "we could have carried on doing what we used to do and choose which ones we wanted on any given day", that's the issue. The login reward system was fundamentally broken, disproportionately rewarding alt account stacking and NOT playing the game.

As far as the "tasks" needed, sure if you are limited to 5-10 minutes per day of game play, this might be an issue, because that on average how long it takes to complete the dailies/weekly. You are blowing this far out of proportion. I do not actively complete my dailies/weekly and usually get them done with regular game play (and if I miss a daily, so what? The abundance of points ensures I can get everything I want still).

Is this the way they are operating now? Smoke and mirrors to give the appearance of content? If it is, then how confident can we be that the homestead is going to be good? Or are they going to take some of the features of our home instance, rework it and end up giving us something that is functionally worse? Except with a chance to scatter chairs around it? Are they really making something new in gameplay terms?

The smoke and mirrors sure happened, but certainly not in regards to the reward adjustments and WV. I'd go out on a limb to state that I believe the WV system was by far one of the best additions which came with SotO, both in terms of implementation as well as effect it had on the game.

I want to be optimistic, I really do. But this expansion has made me very nervous. I think I need to see a LOT more to believe that this isn't just going to be more of the same. I'm holding off pre-ordering for now, because I need to be sold on this; not just the high level "vision" but the nuts and bolts of it. I need to be sure that ANET has genuinely turned a corner and isn't still making questionable design decisions.

Anyone else feel this way?

You can wait and see how the next expansion pans out. No one is forcing you to buy it. If you are one of the "I want to offline/afk get my rewards" crowd, you might get disappointed though.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Kranlor Greyhelm.8417 said:

Shall I walk you through how you can buy 150 of something from a vendor, then walk you through how you buy 150 of something from the WV? Then explain how one is better than the other?

Depending on how many loading screens and the WP cost for the vendor I would rather use the WV UI...but a means of bulk purchase would be an improvement.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Can one buy 150 of anything in the Wizard's Vault?  I don't think I've seen anything in that amount.  :classic_unsure:

Laurels are the only one. But they cost 10 AA each, so you need 1,500 AA to buy all 150.
In order to do that you hat to actively save AA to near the cap and then claim the weekly or a higher rewarded special objective.

And even if you do so, that's 30x5 purchases in total. That takes like 1 minute at best. It's nothing crazy.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Ahh, ok.  So a minute of acquisition once every 3 months.  Such an imposition; I see why it's being lamented. 

I mean, it's a thing that Anet could definitely fix pretty easily, and it would be a nice QoL improvement. I think OP exaggerates how awful it really is, but it does feel kinda bad every time you need to click through giant stacks of cheap limited WV rewards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Ahh, ok.  So a minute of acquisition once every 3 months.  Such an imposition; I see why it's being lamented. 

What I'm lamenting is that Anet decided to use apparently scarce resources (if the last "patch" is to be believed) producing something that is worse than facilities already in the game. I dislike seeing waste at the best of times, seeing waste that makes things worse makes my teeth grate.

• Confused 7

Don't agree with the OP for the most part, only agree with the part about buying a lot of an item, though that is extremely minor negative in the new system.

Other wise I like having the rewards easily viewable, we get to choose the rewards, we get to buy the rewards instantly without the need of travel.

I do wish the OP would give a better description on why he thinks its bad, he says it's bad but gives so little information it's not enough to understand why he thinks its bad 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, WolfEisberg.1540 said:

Don't agree with the OP for the most part, only agree with the part about buying a lot of an item, though that is extremely minor negative in the new system.

Other wise I like having the rewards easily viewable, we get to choose the rewards, we get to buy the rewards instantly without the need of travel.

I do wish the OP would give a better description on why he thinks its bad, he says it's bad but gives so little information it's not enough to understand why he thinks its bad 

I used to be able to do my dailies in WvW if I wanted to. Or in the open world. Or even do PvP, if the mood took me. These days? I'm PvE only, because otherwise I have to bounce around different game modes to get the dailies completed.

I'm happy that it requires active gameplay, rather than passively logging in. But they could have achieved that without changing the system to one that removes choice. It's objectively worse than the system it replaced.

• Confused 8

8 hours ago, kiroho.4738 said:

Also I don't see why you think the WV UI is any difficult to use. It gives a much clearer overview of the items plus you are not bound to any NPC. No downside, only benefit.

The biggest and only real gripe I have with the WV UI is the exceptionally crappy preview window for the featured skins. It's like they actively tried to make it bad. Really bad. Why can't we use the regular preview window and test dyes, Anet? Come on! That said, I usually get enough AA each season to buy what I want, but if I could properly preview a skin without having to go to the wiki, I might want to grab a skin earlier in the season. Minor issue but a very noticeable downside to the UI.

Everything else about the WV is pretty good to absolutely busted. Oh, except when they put two JPs in the weeklies. Knock it off! One JP max, please. 😄

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2