Hoping for more appealing enemies in JW

Let's face it: even the Chak had more personality than those meat lumps a.k.a. "the Kryptis."

I hope enemies in Janthir Wilds will be much more interesting and versatile in their looks, personalities and behavior.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 4
  • Confused 6

So long as they don't give us just one enemy type (alongside generic yellow critters) for the whole expansion, I think it will feel a lot better.

I think part of the problem was that they had like 5 different base enemy types that were present in all content, and they weren't easily distinguishable from each other. So it felt like we were fighting a horde of the exact same enemy that each had a million different annoying moves. If they had split them up so that each event only had 2 or 3 base enemy types at a time, it would have felt like there was more variety.

I hope that the new enemy type that showed up in the trailer isn't this expansion's kryptis. I want to fight white mantle, jade armour, mursaat ghosts, bloodstone-crazed wildlife, outcast Kodan, and more. There should probably be at least one unique enemy type per map, with a few thematically appropriate ones reused between maps. It would be cool if the reused ones were slightly different, though. Like if we had jade armour enemies in one map, and then they were bloodstone armour enemies that inflicted conditions instead of doing power damage in a different map (but they could use the same basic models and animations for both).

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Well, depends how you feel about Titans.

It would be sad if the maps were populated only with Titans.

I liked the story in GW1 that had us fight them, among other enemies, and the few occasions we already encountered them in GW2. It just needs to be done right, not a boring repetition of Inner Nayos. 😉 

• Confused 3

27 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

It would be sad if the maps were populated only with Titans.

I liked the story in GW1 that had us fight them, among other enemies, and the few occasions we already encountered them in GW2. It just needs to be done right, not a boring repetition of Inner Nayos. 😉 

Yeah maybe. But expectations need to be realistic

Likely various natural, wilderness enemies in map 1 with maybe some titans. Lots of titans in map 2 and then the finale will be whatever mystery is behind all this (could be related to the serpent/eldritch hints). We might get some classic Mursaat stuff like Jade Armours too and an outside chance of more bloodstone stuff.

All of which I expect to see recycled assets in full with no surprises in animation or behaviours. I don't mean that in a bad way, but a realistic expectation for an ageing mmo with reduced resources based on experience and with what sounds like something much lower in scope than what we've seen before.

All of which I'm fine with. If we get more, I'll consider that a pleasant bonus

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Yeah maybe. But expectations need to be realistic

Likely various natural, wilderness enemies in map 1 with maybe some titans. Lots of titans in map 2

That does sound like a repetition of the boring Inner Nayos map design. Oof. I hope you are wrong.

• Confused 5

The Kryptis were alright in moderation, but that back half of SotO which was pretty much just "Come to orifice world and fight a bunch of sentient piles of orifices so that you can unlock these orifice themed weapon and armor skins!" might have been a bit much.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Luckily Tyria is full of different enemies and wildlife that can be used in the next expansion. I do hope that one day they notice that we don't need to kill all the villians, though. Right now the commander seems to laser focus on an enemy and goes sprinting full force to butcher them. Heck, the next enemy is one that was believed to be made extinct from the world! Are we going to finally wipe them from existence and have them return later in Guild Wars 3?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Quench.7091 said:

Heck, the next enemy is one that was believed to be made extinct from the world!

Destroyers already exist in the parts of Tyria we have explored (see Brisban Wildlands and Ember Bay, for instance). They are not new.

It all depends on the story build around the enemy and that encounters are not designed in a monotonous way. But most importantly, variety makes an expansion more enjoyable. If it's the "same old, same old" on each map and in each encounter, it quickly becomes mind-numbingly boring.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

On 6/19/2024 at 10:53 PM, Ashantara.8731 said:

I liked the story in GW1 that had us fight them, among other enemies,

Yep, I liked how Titans in GW1 invaded Tyria and were literally placed on top of the normal environment.

On 6/19/2024 at 10:53 PM, Ashantara.8731 said:

and the few occasions we already encountered them in GW2

Wait, we haven't encountered any Titan in GW2 have we?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Karaha.3290 said:

Yep, I liked how Titans in GW1 invaded Tyria and were literally placed on top of the normal environment.

Wait, we haven't encountered any Titan in GW2 have we?

Sorry, true. Brain f*rt. Those were destroyers. 😅 Oof, the heat is getting to my head. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Confused 2