Convergence Essences and recent News post

Completing Convergences in Guild Wars 2: Janthir Wilds will award players with essences that can be used to craft legendary gear. And, yes, these essences will be compatible with the legendary Obsidian armor available in Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure, as well as the new legendary spear and legendary backpack arriving in the quarterly updates for Guild Wars 2: Janthir Wilds. Essences from Convergences will be renamed “rift essences” (with three rarities) to streamline the rewards.

Is the reverse true? Are the 'rift essences' you obtain in SOTO, for the next month and after, an ingredient used in the JW spear and/or backpack? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, notebene.3190 said:

Is the reverse true? Are the 'rift essences' you obtain in SOTO, for the next month and after, an ingredient used in the JW spear and/or backpack? 🤔

Yes, it also was unclear for me, but it appears the current essence is being renamed and jw essence will be exactly the same thing.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Also, from what I understand, the current Essences will be unified into just a single Essence type: Rift Essences. So no more different types/colors.

It says in the article three rarities though?

"Essences from Convergences will be renamed “rift essences” (with three rarities) to streamline the rewards."

10 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

It says in the article three rarities though?

"Essences from Convergences will be renamed “rift essences” (with three rarities) to streamline the rewards."

In that case, I don't see why they need to be renamed in the first place, if rarities will continue to exist. Who cares whether they are called Essences or Rift Essences? 🤷‍♀️

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

In that case, I don't see why they need to be renamed in the first place, if rarities will continue to exist. Who cares whether they are called Essences or Rift Essences? 🤷‍♀️

Because right now they're kryptis specific and they need to be made more generic when not dropping from kryptis related content. I'm guessing JW convergences will involve Titans instead. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Because if you own Janthir and not Soto, calling them kryptic essences makes no sense. People have asked for streamlining and reusing currencies for years. This is them doing that

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

Because right now they're kryptis specific and they need to be made more generic when not dropping from kryptis related content. I'm guessing JW convergences will involve Titans instead. 

But then we'd be getting Rift essences from Convergences. If the name change was supposed to be due to moving to their more general use, they should have used a more widely applicable name as well.

• Confused 6

46 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

But then we'd be getting Rift essences from Convergences. If the name change was supposed to be due to moving to their more general use, they should have used a more widely applicable name as well.

During current convergences, you're still closing kryptis rifts. Maybe in future convergences [non-kriptis] rifts will be involved.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

During current convergences, you're still closing kryptis rifts. Maybe in future convergences [non-kriptis] rifts will be involved.

Considering they said the "raids lite" will be done as convergences, that's going to be severely limiting on all potential future raid narratives.

• Confused 4

19 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Considering they said the "raids lite" will be done as convergences, that's going to be severely limiting on all potential future raid narratives.

Maybe. But maybe it'll fit exactly what they planned. "It might limit the narrative" doesn't matter if they already decided on the narrative and renamed the essences afterwards. We'll see if that's how it is though.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2