Stun-lock and Immob's for days is Killing WvW

Getting stun-locked and/or Immobilized for more than 2 seconds at a time is killing game-play. There is no real counter-play to this because 99.9% of professions can't deal with this much pressure, no matter how 'get gud' you get.

I think these should be applied with  a cool-down, similar to how a thief can't re-apply stealth (revealed function). Or, some sort of Invuln is applied to ignore the effects of these devastating skills.This way, you can at least have some counter-play instead of just forced to sit there twiddling your thumbs, hoping they don't Invuln stomp you or bury you with damage.

The current state of WvW FORCES you to play one of these over-powered professions, limiting choices of other interesting builds/professions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Mindwhip.8057 said:

Getting stun-locked and/or Immobilized for more than 2 seconds at a time is killing game-play. There is no real counter-play to this because 99.9% of professions can't deal with this much pressure, no matter how 'get gud' you get.

I think these should be applied with  a cool-down, similar to how a thief can't re-apply stealth (revealed function). Or, some sort of Invuln is applied to ignore the effects of these devastating skills.This way, you can at least have some counter-play instead of just forced to sit there twiddling your thumbs, hoping they don't Invuln stomp you or bury you with damage.

The current state of WvW FORCES you to play one of these over-powered professions, limiting choices of other interesting builds/professions.

You're able to use Stability to ignore stuns and other hard crowd control effects, and Resistance to ignore the effects of movement-impairing conditions like Immobilization, Chill, and Slow. There's a number of things that you can do to get access to either of these boons on pretty much any profession, from changing utility skills and traits, to changing your choice of Relic. For example, Relic of Resistance gives you Resistance on using a heal, while Relic of the Centaur gives you Stability on using a heal. For avoiding damage, you can also just use your dodges, which give you invuln frames. A lot of roaming and dueling comes down to being able to read your enemy's burst skills, and dodge effectively to avoid their big spike, which can take a bit of practice.

Try changing your build around to include more of these boon sources, and see if it improves. But this is the counterplay that's built into the game for these mechanics.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

Can I ask which professions you play? I’m not saying this to be rude, I just don’t play a lot of different ones ^^’

From the information given alone I’d say try to focus on movement related skills if possible. They definitely provide a good amount of sustain in 1v1

Nah, this isn't killing WvW, ANet not fixing old exploits and hacks allowing unscrupulous players to get to the lords of t3 towers & keeps and then portal in their mates without opening a single door or wall to flip them is killing WvW.
This has been made worse by the changes to contesting because now the lord is usually dead by the time the location shows as contested.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I currently main Willbender, but I've played Mez, Virt, Ranger and Necro in WvW. Unfortunately, even with Willbender mobility, if they hit you with that long stun and then keep chaining it, you die. I'm not saying remove these effects, just reduce the duration each time they apply, so you can at least feel like you're active in the fight. I've seriously been killed after locked for 6 seconds at a time. The duration should not scale up on these effects, it's too devastating to game-play.

Edited by Mindwhip.8057
  • Haha 6

21 minutes ago, Mindwhip.8057 said:

Really? I didn't think of that. But, since I can't Dodge when my skills are locked for 6 seconds, I guess that point is moot.

Right, you dodge before you become stunned. Or, you use your stunbreak ability (abilities), and then dodge after that, so you can't be stunned in a followup.

1 hour ago, Mindwhip.8057 said:

I currently main Willbender, but I've played Mez, Virt, Ranger and Necro in WvW. Unfortunately, even with Willbender mobility, if they hit you with that long stun and then keep chaining it, you die. I'm not saying remove these effects, just reduce the duration each time they apply, so you can at least feel like you're active in the fight. I've seriously been killed after locked for 6 seconds at a time. The duration should not scale up on these effects, it's too devastating to game-play.

You want a DR. But DR is not a counter play, it’s just a mechanic.

try stability and aegis. Those are counterplays for CC especially on any guardian specc.

• Thanks 1

People can pack their own Control in their kit and accept that something else in their build might take a hit but the stoppage they can produce might be worth it.

A lot of stun locks and immob get packed as consequence of its skills multipurpose. There's a ballast in build decisions but sometimes you can get the range of features you need even if they're not totally ideal. 

WvW is normally full of high rate of fire. I pack whatever Interrupts and other control I have slots for as flak (or a thorns build if you played old Diablo 2), and my main templates will trait or slot to compound those with other modifiers, like stealing health on Interrupts or poison and other mods on Immob. 

Chaning that could be like water displacement though, where everything else gets moved also and the rest of the aspects of combat would have to adjust. That could adjust positively though if everything is simmered down to being more deliberate, conscious, and allowing for more responsive plotting.

For now, you'll have to read body language and read minds to get ahead of it. 

5 hours ago, Mindwhip.8057 said:

You either have perma stab/condi removal, or are CCed 100% to 0%.

The only factor is numbers / comp.

It's extremely boring.

• Like 1