The story mode dungeon needs to be changed.

The rewards for the story mode need to be dramatically increased to make existing players play.

An automatic matching system needs to be introduced to the dungeon.

The dungeon is the first cooperative content that users who start playing this game encounter.

However, existing users say that it is dead content.

When you reach a certain level, you will receive an in-game email telling you to go to the dungeon.

You can use LFG through the NPC next to you.

However, only those who have played MMORPGs before can understand this system.

That is why people challenge it solo at first.

And this dungeon is too difficult to clear solo.

There is an important story in the story mode.
You need to know the story in the story mode to understand the entire story.
Although the story mode is essential, it is too difficult to clear solo, and many people give up.

Also, even if you use LFG, it takes 30 minutes to 1 hour to gather 5 people.

And the length and time of the dungeon is about 1.5~2 times longer than the expert dungeon.

Many beginner players who use LFG to enter the dungeon end up failing to gather people.

Imagine how they feel.

Despair, giving up, wasting time, feeling bad about themselves
Or thinking "this is a dead game".

If you can't do the story mode, you can't do the expert mode.
If you can't do the story mode, you can't do the expert mode, so there are no new dungeon players.
As a result, you can't find a party even in the expert mode.

And the story mode reward is a low-level rare helmet.
You can get skins, runes, and sigils in the  expert mode, but they are still low rewards.

If the purpose of the dungeon is not to make people feel hopeless,
The dungeon needs to be fixed.

Someone needs to fix the dungeon.

Edited by Joonmo.7523
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10

38 minutes ago, Joonmo.7523 said:

There is an important story in the story mode.
You need to know the story in the story mode to understand the entire story.

Theres certainly A story, but it's not crucial to The Story (your personal story), it's just background information on Destiny's Edge for people that don't want to, or havent read https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Edge_of_Destiny

38 minutes ago, Joonmo.7523 said:

If you can't do the story mode, you can't do the expert mode.

(Spot the XiV player) You can most definirely do "Explorable" mode without playing the Story path, you just can't be the party lead;  Find a player that has done the story mode already, and have them create the dungeon instance

43 minutes ago, Joonmo.7523 said:

And the story mode reward is a low-level rare helmet.
You can get skins, runes, and sigils in the  expert mode, but they are still low rewards.

the rewards are appropriate for the level of the dungeon which starts at Level 30

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, daw.4923 said:

Wouldn't be easier to just remove that e-mail than to trying to fix dead content?

Personally, I'd greatly prefer it if the dead content was fixed since quite a bit of effort went into making it in the first place.  Otherwise, it kind of just looks like a developmental "black eye" when there's dungeons, fractals and even an entire zone (Southsun Cove?) that people just aren't particularly fond of.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Fixing older content is a worth investment.
Specially when for Guild Wars 2 the early game experience is a massive filter that basically any review-video review mentions.

Dungeons should become interwoven with the main scenario progression, so players cannot skip them, making Destiny's Edge a mandatory part of progression towards level 80.

If anything, this game needs to re-work a lot of the base game, then again, getting new players to stay playing in the long run may not be in ArenaNet priority, or even view. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

I prefer dungeons to fractals but it's just so much easier to find fractal groups I do those instead. That makes me sad, but I feel like I'm in a fairly extreme minority and at least dungeon rush week comes along every now and then . . .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 5 weeks later...

I think the story mode would be better retuned solo (mostly, reducing eliteness by one).
In group content I feel compelled to Escape it, to keep contributing and avoid making others wait. So I was watching YouTube...

I only did Ascalonian Catacombs, groups were full in minutes during busy hours. (And the Orr one that is part of the Personal Story, solo.)
There is a point where you are strong enough to solo them, at least with Cele Ele 😉 I could to the elite packs, but didn't boss, takes ages.

The overall duration of those I did was very similar to fractals so maybe could be added (swapping with the Recommended Fractal Level).

My main motivation to advocate solo mode is a place to learn instance specific mechanics. In fractals I kind of stress out. Where to step? What to push? Which way?

Just make dungeons public instances, similar to DR missions. With an option to have a private instance for you and your party.

And stop making new maps. Instead move the story and new content the core / existing maps. Make it worth-wile revisiting. Spend time on quality over quantity content. Reduce filler and maintain focus on the delivery.

Cheers!

• Confused 1

The story mode should have never been group content, even in August 2012 everyone would complain if you didn't skip the cutscenes.

They should rework the story mode for solo content and actually integrate it with the personal story instead of having it optional.

On 8/7/2024 at 12:56 PM, Parasite.5389 said:

Theres certainly A story, but it's not crucial to The Story (your personal story), it's just background information on Destiny's Edge for people that don't want to, or havent read https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Edge_of_Destiny

How is it not crucial...

When you first meet Destiny's Edge, as a group in Lion's Arch, they're presented as the real main characters of the story, because they have a little thing called personalities and motivations unlike the player character that is just a blank slate to be projected on with the personality of a wooden plank. But everyone in Destiny's Edge are at odds with each other going as far as threatening to kill each other, it is in the dungeon story missions that they work out their differences, heal some wounds, and start caring for each other again.

Skipping the dungeon story modes will leave you with major holes and a disjointed narrative as when you see them in the Ruined City of Arah they're all a team again. There is no universe in which an audience wouldn't complain about the story in GW2 if you cut out the dungeon story instances and still present that as a complete product.

• Confused 3

12 minutes ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

it is in the dungeon story missions that they work out their differences, heal some wounds, and start caring for each other again.

i'm just going to counter that with the final line from Ascalon catacombs:

when talking to Eir and asking Should we follow Rytlock?

No. He still hates Logan—and now he hates me. I should have left bad enough alone.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Parasite.5389 said:

i'm just going to counter that with the final line from Ascalon catacombs:

when talking to Eir and asking Should we follow Rytlock?

No. He still hates Logan—and now he hates me. I should have left bad enough alone.

And what happens in the Citadel of Flame... ?

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Parasite.5389 said:

they can stand to be in the same room together, so what, it doesn't affect YOUR STORY!

You mean the story in which they're next to you fighting at the end and Logan comes to save his friends, and some wood plank they call the commander, with the bigger ship... ?

Honestly, the Story Mode just needs to be toned down to be as difficult as the normal 1-80 Personal Story missions.

Nothing beyond that is required.

(And ideally having a Story Mode for Raids too--with less rewards, naturally--so that people can engage the story of those areas)

On 8/7/2024 at 1:09 PM, Joonmo.7523 said:

The rewards for the story mode need to be dramatically increased to make existing players play.

An automatic matching system needs to be introduced to the dungeon.

Increasing reward isn't going to fix your perceived issue. Same goes for automatic match making. Story mode dungeon is just a 1 time thing that few care about.

From my point of view, integrating the various dungeons (story and paths) into the fractal content would be the "better" option. This way:

• There would be more variety to fractales and from the reward point of view everything would be unified.
  • A lone player wouldn't try helplessly to go through a multiplayer meta event just for the sake of opening a dungeon which would close a few minute later due to the meta event coming back (crucible of eternity meta event is a massive pain in the back, yes I said it).
  • Finding a group in LA is certainly way easier than finding one in the deserted wilds of the vanilla maps.
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2024 at 6:37 PM, Dadnir.5038 said:

Increasing reward isn't going to fix your perceived issue. Same goes for automatic match making. Story mode dungeon is just a 1 time thing that few care about.

From my point of view, integrating the various dungeons (story and paths) into the fractal content would be the "better" option. This way:

• There would be more variety to fractales and from the reward point of view everything would be unified.
  • A lone player wouldn't try helplessly to go through a multiplayer meta event just for the sake of opening a dungeon which would close a few minute later due to the meta event coming back (crucible of eternity meta event is a massive pain in the back, yes I said it).
  • Finding a group in LA is certainly way easier than finding one in the deserted wilds of the vanilla maps.

How would you integrate them into fractals when fractals are lv80 content and the dungeon story modes are lv30-lv80? The reason they're outdated and people can just melt them with elite spec builds (or even maxed out core builds) is the power creep over the years. Dunno if its fun for new players when maxed players join them and just melt each dungeon boss in seconds while skipping all cutscenes. They can't balance it to be appropriate for both lv30 and lv80 (elite spec) chars with the way downscaling works currently.

If you want to put them in fractals, I'd take out the story mode and only add the explorable paths as fractals. Maybe each dungeon is given one fractal level and it varies which explorable path is chosen on any given day (letting players choose would then just make them pick the fastest one every time). And tune the story mode to be a solo lv30 (or 40, 50 etc) experience that you do as part of the story at the appropriate time.

Edited by Chyro.1462

11 minutes ago, Chyro.1462 said:

Dunno if its fun for new players when maxed players join them and just melt each dungeon boss in seconds while skipping all cutscenes.

That's why they should tune it to single player base game specs and make it mandatory at the appropriate times in the personal story.

Like you mention, as is, if a new player tries to get help, the "help" will just skip everything and rush ahead and clear the place, terrible new player experience. This should have been dealt with before the Steam release, I don't see it ever being adressed now.

I'd leave the explorable paths alone, they don't have time or money for anything anyway, just make dungeon gear stat selectable and call it a day, that'd make dungeons a great place for new (and maybe old) players to gear up characters with exotics.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chyro.1462 said:

How would you integrate them into fractals when fractals are lv80 content and the dungeon story modes are lv30-lv80? The reason they're outdated and people can just melt them with elite spec builds (or even maxed out core builds) is the power creep over the years. Dunno if its fun for new players when maxed players join them and just melt each dungeon boss in seconds while skipping all cutscenes. They can't balance it to be appropriate for both lv30 and lv80 (elite spec) chars with the way downscaling works currently.

If you want to put them in fractals, I'd take out the story mode and only add the explorable paths as fractals. Maybe each dungeon is given one fractal level and it varies which explorable path is chosen on any given day (letting players choose would then just make them pick the fastest one every time). And tune the story mode to be a solo lv30 (or 40, 50 etc) experience that you do as part of the story at the appropriate time.

Fractals are as easy as a level 30 dungeon are (in fact fractals are easier and shorter). The only reason one might not think so would be because said individual is used to do fractal in T4 and forgot that before T4 there is T1-3.

Also, keep in mind that new players that try there hand on dungeons without knowing all the tricks veteran players know tend to struggle a lot more in dungeons (which is largely left aside by the community and the devs) than in Fractals.

In any way, there is no point in keeping the dungeons below level 80 since anyway players seldom do them while being themself below this level.