Janthir Wilds is a huge disappointment for me, there are things that I would like the developers to change in the game

4 minutes ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

So you were running a Deadeye build on an incompletely trained character, while also using one of the racial elites, commonly regarded as garbage-tier skills.

All questions are now answered.

L. 2. P.

I think they were using runes of the golemancer, which means they havent played in over a year (at least that particular character)

Edited by Parasite.5389
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

I was referring to the Asura racial elites...I added the link probably while you were posting.

I didn't play any Asura, they were runes of the golemancer. Bought as a complete PPF exotic armor from dungeons vendor

• Confused 6

1 minute ago, Darves.6798 said:

I didn't play any Asura, they were runes of the golemancer. Bought as a complete PPF exotic armor from dungeons vendor

And yet you also wrote:

Secondly, make all dungeons, fractals raids, strike missions available to the solo player.You can take all the rewards for completion, just make the content easy and accessible. There is so much content in the game that I and other players would love to try if there was an easy solo version.

"Would love to try."

So how did you get enough Tales of Dungeon Delving for a full set of exotics if you haven't tried dungeons?

If you're going to troll, then at least keep your story straight.

I'm done here.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

So how did you get enough Tales of Dungeon Delving for a full set of exotics if you haven't tried dungeons?

If you're going to troll, then at least keep your story straight.

Of course, I tried the dungeons, if you readed my first main post carefully, you would know that there is a whole section about the fact that I want changes in the group finder, the introduction of the functionality of an irremovable leader in voting, etc. But of course, you didn't read carefully and readed only what you wanted . Here's the exact quote: "Fourth, change your group search and being in a group. Please add the functionality of a group leader to which other players join, a leader who cannot be removed from the group. Now, when I want to play, let's say, some dungeon, I announce a group, I waste time, I wait, and then when the group gathers, they can throw me out by voting because I don't want to speedrun and I want to read dialogues and I want to watch cutscenes, or because I don't I know a mechanics or because they just have such a whim to remove me from the group."

Edited by Darves.6798
missing quote
  • Confused 7

48 minutes ago, Darves.6798 said:

Of course, I tried the dungeons, if you readed my first main post carefully, you would know that there is a whole section about the fact that I want changes in the group finder, the introduction of the functionality of an irremovable leader in voting, etc. But of course, you didn't read carefully and readed only what you wanted . Here's the exact quote: "Fourth, change your group search and being in a group. Please add the functionality of a group leader to which other players join, a leader who cannot be removed from the group. Now, when I want to play, let's say, some dungeon, I announce a group, I waste time, I wait, and then when the group gathers, they can throw me out by voting because I don't want to speedrun and I want to read dialogues and I want to watch cutscenes, or because I don't I know a mechanics or because they just have such a whim to remove me from the group."

Fun fact we used to have dungeon leader and it was abused.

Leader going afk after 1/3, 1/2 done saying going out with the dog be back in 30 mins finish up or leave since if you kick me the run is lost.

This was when paths to longer without the 11 years of power creep tho.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Fun fact we used to have dungeon leader and it was abused.

Leader going afk after 1/3, 1/2 done saying going out with the dog be back in 30 mins finish up or leave since if you kick me the run is lost.

This was when paths to longer without the 11 years of power creep tho.

An interesting anecdotal story that proves nothing. Just as you're sure it doesn't prove anything to you that despite being the leader and gathering the group and describing in detail that I wanted to watch cutscenes and didn't want speedrun, I was removed from the group many times, or because I simply died many times, or because the group had such a whim.

• Confused 8

15 minutes ago, Darves.6798 said:

An interesting anecdotal story that proves nothing. Just as you're sure it doesn't prove anything to you that despite being the leader and gathering the group and describing in detail that I wanted to watch cutscenes and didn't want speedrun, I was removed from the group many times, or because I simply died many times, or because the group had such a whim.

And the only thing this would solve is you cant be kicked so you would have a dungen instance that never complete because it wont make people stay with you if your goals dont align or you repeatedly dying so everyone leaves when they dont feel like your doing your part.

We also back in the day had party leaders kick everyone to let guildmates or sell the spots at the end of dungeons profiting of peoples work.

This can also happen now if 2 people join 1 person advertising at end boss since they can kick said person tho proving there are aholes in both systems.

• Like 1

OP, you've been given a lot of advice - builds, strategies, tips - and you've disregarded all of it. You come across as though you aren't willing to make any changes on your behalf (filling out specialization lines/learning which traits complement each other, learning to avoid damage instead of trying to tank it, etc.); you want changes to be made to the game instead so you don't have to adapt in any way. Is that it? Because if it isn't, that's certainly how you come across.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

BTW, if you want to have someone to tank for you then try Ranger (upgrading to Druid or Untamed when you can fully unlock it, not Soulbeast as you partially lose the pet as SB), Necro as previously mentions (not meta builds but still having your summons out to tank can work) or an Engineer with the Holosmith elite spec.

I will concede, that there is a bit of a problem with everyone assuming you have elite specs unlocked. You need to get to HoT or PoF to fully unlock them OR have done some WvW/PvP so you can use the Heroics Notary. This means you have to have already survived HoT for a while before you can unlock your elite spec (or skip to PoF in which case you are doing story out of order, I for one didn't want to do that).

It's a bit of a problem that the core specs are generally weaker and also people don't tend to post builds for them, so even in the cases where they aren't that much there isn't much guidance on how to put a good non elite build together. Core Ranger could be worth

That said, it's possible, OP is going to have to work on it or do some WvW for a while.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Batel.9206 said:

OP, you've been given a lot of advice - builds, strategies, tips - and you've disregarded all of it

Isn’t it obvious that OP isn’t interested in advice or help. He just can’t stand the fact that the game doesn’t cater exclusively to him and his abilities. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Darves.6798 said:

What build, normal PPF, I also tried celestial, celestial was better. As a thief and later as a deadeye, I had a golem to help me, who was tanking and I could shoot from a distance. It's simple, I reached level 80 by discovering open world maps. The Guardian is a melee fighter, so I would get hit or two and go down.

Oh, ok. That's a problem. Of your build/equipment and playing skills.

Thief is a squishy class, especially with PPF. A thief releyes on stealth and dodging, even more with PPF-armor. It's not supposed  to stay in front of an enemy and stick it with your weapon until it's dead. That's not how the game works. Guardian is'nt that much squishy...or...not even close to. And Guardian is'nt a melee fighter, nor is thief. You can use range weapons as well. If they don't fit your playstile, that's a problem you have to deal with.

But there's a small advice, that may help you in that case:

You know, GW2 is a game with an active combat system. So, every class has a special ability called "dodge". So, if you dodge, you don't get hit, if you time it well. There are also some skills, that can help you to dodge oder to block attacks, and don't get hit. May also help. Espeially guardian is some kind master of blocking attacks.

If you reach Lvl 80 by exploring and going through events, you should have been into contact with such fundamental actions and skills.

And to train, there's a guy on every starter map, where you can lean to dodge to reach a tresure. use this option...and then go free into the world and use the learned new skills with real enemys. And you will grow little bird and get better and better and you will be able to fly.

So many ppl trying to help you, and you are unwilling to accept these tips. Yes, I agree, some missions are harder than others, but everything is possible to finish solo. May be easier with some classes but it's possible with all of them

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I just spent far too much time reading this thread, so adding my two cents to make it worth it xD

When I first played LW1 through HoT I struggled. To the point where once I finished HoT story I stopped playing the game a while. When I eventually returned, after reading/watching some tips and guides, I realized my character was built like a scrawny 12 year old. Mismatched rare gear with one or two exotics, traits and weapons that didn't synergize whatsoever. So I would take a look at stuff like that first of all. If you don't want to follow build guides as many people have suggested at least make sure the traits you have selected make sense with your preferred weapons I.e don't use a trait that increases poison damage if your weapon doesn't inflict poison.

Based on some of the things said it also sounds like OP is really missing some fundamentals of the combat. Like others have said, make sure you are moving, and dodging. Use your heal skill when you need. Have some utility in your skill bar for stun breaks, mobility, buffs, etc. If you really need a little extra edge use food/utility/booster items. But most of all, just have patience while you learn how to play the game. It is very different from most other MMOs and will take time to learn. But in the end I feel the gameplay is far more rewarding and satisfying than SWTOR, ESO, FFXIV, etc. Going from those games to GW2 is like playing Call of Duty then moving DOOM and expecting the same strategies and playstyles to work. 

I love this game and I always love hearing new players trying it. But unfortunately, if you're not willing or able to take this advice or the advice from other (polite) commenters, GW2 just might not be for you. And that's okay! Not every game can be for everyone. We are lucky to have so much to choose from these days. (Have you played Baldur's Gate 3? I think you'd love it if you haven't)

• Thanks 6

Respectfully and with significant sympathy as a someone who would rather play single player games all the time, it sounds as if you are trying to order a burger from a Home Depot.  I wish you great success with the new Dragon Age when it comes out, as that seems to be the game you are actually wanting to play.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, celesticidal.1097 said:

Respectfully and with significant sympathy as a someone who would rather play single player games all the time, it sounds as if you are trying to order a burger from a Home Depot.  I wish you great success with the new Dragon Age when it comes out, as that seems to be the game you are actually wanting to play.

Because I'm bored waiting for something I had a Google and it turns out you could get burgers in home depot back in the 90s. What any of us are going to do with that information I don't know.

• Haha 6

I can agree on few OP arguments.

Not every class is very open world friendly for beginners. Not every single skill setup works as good as others, so without guide you can make disqusting build that makes absolutely no sence.

I can fully agree about making dungeons story mode easier or at least make tank companion to take damage because that what makes this game so hard=mobs hit hard.

But as others I went though all the pain of learning this game hard way. Only luck for me before I started to play, I googled easiest class to play and made with minion necromancer which carried me through all expansions till LW4 I think where I just couldnt do enough dmg to kill mobs enough so I started to learn the game (I was green blue yellow story mode gear with rainbow stats). So I fully get what OP says.

• Confused 4

Oh Boy, do I feel you. Half a year ago I was right were you are now. I could not for the live of me understand how some players thought GW2 was to easy. I was running bersi gear on a condi build with badly mismatched traits and skills and played for over a month on an incomplete elite spec. When I fisrt went into the training room I did 1,5k DPS on the training dummy. But the others are right, it's really easy to make some adjustments to your gear and build and it will make the game infinitly easier. I spent one afternoon in the trainig room and tweaked my build. I didn't even look up any guides, just carefully read the tool tips. And afterwards it felt like I had unlocked easy mode and I was able to solo some HoT hps I could only dream of before. I genuinely think that what you're asking for is already in the game. Even henchmen; sure not for ever class, but my jade mech is practically a henchmen since I set its skills to autocast. And you really don't have to play a meta build for anything other than hardcore endgame. Just make sure that what ever you throw together is cohesive. Would it be nice for dungeons to be easier to solo? Yeah definitly, since they add a lot to the story. But I also think it is OK that there is an incentive to improve your game play. Against my expactaions I am actually having a lot of fun working on my game play. And I would never have discoverd that, if I had been able to just breeze threw all of the story.

Guild Wars 2 is incredibly casual and solo friendly, but it's not a game that holds your hand. You're going to have to read the tool tips and put you're last two brain cells to work. And if that's not to your liking, it's probably not the game for you. You're allowed to complain about it, but others are also allowed to disagree with you. The devs can only make an informed decission about what direction to take the game in, if they can get a consensus of what their plyer base wants.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Let's go through your requests one by one. I won't be bothering with the Homestead/raid/spear questions at the start of your post since it seems like they have already been answered pretty comprehensively by other people.

1. "The game is too hard for me, and I'd like things to be easier, especially in story mode." No matter where you put a game on the difficulty curve, it's going to be too hard for some people, and making it too easy would make the encounters boring for the majority who can manage it at the current difficulty. With regard to having an easy mode option, that is a possibility, and the devs did actually add one for End of Dragons, but I guess it wasn't very widely used, since earlier expansions weren't updated to add it, and it didn't return in Secrets of the Obscure. The best way to make things easier for yourself would be to make sure your gear is up to scratch. It took a while for LWS1 to release, so a lot of players going into it would have been in full exotic at least, and that's probably what it was balanced around. Same for later expansions.

2. "All instanced PvE content should be soloable." There are two main ways of doing this. A true solo where the player is alone, or a group of bots running with the player. Both of them come with their own problems. Having a group of bots blends into request 3, so I'll tackle a true solo first. I'll also assume that this would be an extra mode, rather than a replacement. Increasing player stats or reducing enemy stats is the usual GW2 way of altering difficulty, but that only gets you so far. What happens when you get to a puzzle that would require multiple players on "normal" mode? Do you have it complete itself, and hollow out the challenges of the instance beyond 'run to mob, hit mob', or do you create a reworked puzzle that can be soloed, requiring a whole new set of code for each (and dungeon code is apparently 10 year old awful spaghetti to begin with, so that's going to be fun for the devs). The same thing goes for bosses that require more strategy than just hitting them. Any mechanic that forces players to cluster, or perform a specific action while the boss is distracted would need to be reworked or removed, once again leading to a whole load of extra resources needed, or an encounter that feels hollowed out, and doesn't prepare the player well for the harder modes with actual rewards.

3. "Give us companions, preferably with romance options." This may just be personal preference, but companions seem to work best when they've got some integration to the game's story, and we've had over a decade of story with various characters popping in and out as and when they're needed. So that raises a question in itself. Do you have completely new characters, who have no connection to previous stories, just show up from the expansion onwards, or do you allow old characters with past story integration to join the player? Either way you've suddenly got a bunch of characters who have to be included in every expansion from now on, and can't be killed off, taken off the team, or even changed too much otherwise the people who spent hundreds of gold maxing out relationship values with a given companion would start screaming about it. If you're going for the latter option, you run into the opposite problem, where you can't include a character in the story because they're one of the commander's companions, even if they would fit nicely. If you put them in, what happens if they're in the commander's party? If you don't , what happens if they aren't? You're also looking at a lot more voice acting needed for each companion to have their own takes on what's going on in the story, unless you want the companions to just stand around like lemons no matter what's going on around them.

That just about covers the problems of companions when it comes to the story, but there's a lot of non-story content. You mentioned that you want companions to heal or tank for you, and help out in instances. Let's start with open world first, where these companions would be a huge boon to...botters. If they're actually effective in combat, you can essentially park your one-man army wherever you feel like and just do something else while the gold rolls in. Maybe if anet found a reliable method of dealing with botters this wouldn't be so bad, but they haven't done a great job so far. There's also the immersion factor. Imagine wandering into Divinity's Reach, heading up to the bank, and coming face to face with 20 Lord Farens in their fancy panties, 15 maid outfit Peithas (only 4k gems!), and April fool's Big Hat Rama. Immersion well and truly shattered. Not to mention the server issues of having 5x the character models on any map, or balance issues from suddenly having players do 5x the regular damage (let's face it. Anyone who can complete the content anyway would just grab a couple of boon supports and max dps wherever they go).

So. Companions in story, bad idea. Companions in open world, bad idea. Maybe companions in instances? Well, unfortunately we're back at the problems mentioned in your second request, except now instead of having 1 human with a brain, you now have 1 human with a brain, and 4-9 bots who need to be able to work out what the human is thinking and react accordingly. Do you auto-solve the puzzles so you don't have to write new bot code for every single puzzle, past, present and future? Do you rework them to solo puzzles and have the bots sit back and watch? Do the bots solve the puzzle for the human, making it a game of "watch bots, then go punch mobs a bit with bots helping"? Are the bots perfect, making sit back and watch the best option, or do they have a chance of failure, making the puzzle luck based? These questions have to be answered for every single puzzle. Then we move onto bosses. In many boss fights, there are secondary mechanics for a subgroup of players to complete. Each of these requires more coding for the bots to do effectively. Even if you take the route a lot of party based RPGs do, and let the player command their compansions or even straight up switch control to them, you ironically have a harder fight because of all the multitasking required, and Lyssa help you if there are multiple mechanics at the same time. There's also the problem of having multiple players in an instance, but not a full group. Whose companions get chosen to join, and who gets to control them?

Romance, I'm not going to touch. I think there are enough reasonable objections to companions in general that adding romance, no matter how good, would not fix the fundamental problem of companions.

4. "Groups should have an unkickable leader" We already have this in 10 man and 50 man squads, so I'm not sure why 5 man has been left out. Groups themselves could probably do with a bit of a rework though, like making merges something that have to be accepted by both group leaders (and maybe have a cooldown after rejection, so someone can't just spam merge requests. Maybe 5 minutes or until the other group requests a merge with the first group.) I will say though that groups with a leader that can't be kicked can be pretty awful if the leader is being a tyrant. Even if you split off and try to form your own group, there's still a reasonable chance that the group will just splinter and not join yours, plus the merge squad problems I already mentioned.

5. "Daily and weekly Wizard's Vault quests should be chosen based on story instances done by your account, rather than by expansion owned." I almost fully agree with this one. I'd just change it to be based on maps entered, for the people who really don't care about story and will actively go out of their way to avoid it.

• Like 4

Not sure if it is trolling or not. Cause it is so well-written but contains stuff that is sooo wrong lol.

I think the Homesteads actually will make ArenaNet a lot of money. New thing they can push regular gem store cosmetics (when releasing gem store exclusive decorational items). And I doubt it is hard/costly to creat a bit of furniture. Hardest was probably the coding in the background (to create the instance and manage how it can be accessed and how the info is saved) where they seem to use the system with the door. 😄

Raids the way they try it now seem to satisfy both types of players (raiders and non-raiders). So ... not like they wasted resources just to create something for raiders. We would have gotten similarly grindy normal PvE content again if they hadn't aimed for raids ... I guess.

Stuff about making things available solo: Only for the story modes of the dungeons this would be interesting. Since they tie into the core personal story. (And at dungeon rush people want to rush it quick. Though you can look at YouTube vor some vids of the cutscenes.)

I'm not sure that this is about story being hard though lol. There are hard achievements but they are totally optional. And doing the story normally is easy - every child can do it and ArenaNet can't totally "babify" content when they are already easier than literally every single other MMORPG that exists out there.

Companions and romancing seems the oddest thing lol. Play a modern "bad story but date every single possible party member to unlock an achievement" single player rpg - there are a ton on Steam I guess that do this for "content" and to artificially increase playtime.

• Like 1