Inquiry Regarding the Ranger Utility Skill "Guard" and Its Interaction with Friendly Structures

I am seeking clarification regarding the Ranger utility skill "Guard" and its interaction with friendly structures such as walls and gates.

Recently, while testing a support Soulbeast build, I have encountered an issue where I am being unexpectedly 1 shot out of nowhere outside of combat by siege weapons. Although occasional one-shot deaths from siege weapons are expected, the frequency and timing of these instances raised concerns. Given that I was using a stance-share healer Soulbeast with maximum Siege Bunker Mastery, I initially suspected possible cheating due to the lack of visible enemies.

To investigate further, I created a new chat tab with a filter set to incoming damage, which revealed the following:

• 16k damage from a Superior Flame Ram while I was stall repairing a gate
  • 22k damage from a Trebuchet while I was repairing walls
  • 51k damage from a Superior Catapult while near a double wall attempting to disrupt the catapult

For context, even a direct hit from a ballista, which typically deals considerable damage, does not even graze my character in this build. This makes these instances particularly unusual and noteworthy.

These observations led me to believe that the Ranger utility skill "Guard" might be targeting allied walls and gates. Notably, I have also observed that the "Guard" icon shows in the active effects bar of the structures, indicating that it is being applied to them. According to the wiki, "When merged, the Soulbeast takes full damage. Nearby allies take 33% less damage, which is transferred to the Soulbeast. The Soulbeast gains Might whenever they or any affected ally is hit." I always cast "Guard" while repairing to maintain swiftness applied by the "Resounding Timbre" trait and am always merged with a versatile archetype pet to get additional concentration.

Could you please confirm if it is intentional for the Ranger utility skill "Guard" to target walls and gates? Any information you can provide on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by CopperSailor.5421
  • Like 2

Thank you for your response. To clarify, the damage instances I mentioned have each unique case:

• The Superior Flame Rams were from multiple sources, as indicated by multiple sources in the incoming damage tab.
  • The Trebuchet and the Superior Catapult each caused single hits and were from single sources, but they were impacting multiple walls protected by the "Guard" skill.

I appreciate your suggestion regarding the use of "Guard" while merged but I find it unusual that this is the case with structures.

• Haha 1

I don't think it's intended - structures aren't supposed to be affected by player buffs and it wouldn't make much sense to make an exception for this skill.

I'd recommend reposting this here (or to ask a mod to move this topic there), where the chance that this is read by someone from anet might be slightly higher than here.

• Sad 1

Are you gaining might when the wall/gate is hit? 

That would be probably the only way to tell without whispering the enemy and trying to coordinate combat log / floaters to see if they get less damage when you use it.  

I would say it is probably what is happening though, just based on the icon being given and the fact you can also ally target walls and gates with staff.  Never actually checked if the staff will heal them though...

On 8/10/2024 at 5:05 PM, Zyreva.1078 said:

I don't think it's intended - structures aren't supposed to be affected by player buffs and it wouldn't make much sense to make an exception for this skill.

I'd recommend reposting this here (or to ask a mod to move this topic there), where the chance that this is read by someone from anet might be slightly higher than here.

There's no bugs only features!