Wizard's Vault - Legendary weapon starter kit locked if you don't have the Janthir Wilds expansion

I just logged in after the expansion went live and was anxious to see the new items in the refreshed Wizard's vault. And to my surprise, the Legendary Weapon Starter Kit -5  is not available for purchase unless you have the new expansion.

I understand locking the Seasonal items which are related to the new expansion. But why lock the Legendary Weapon Starter Kit which is not directly related (apart from the spear which can still be used under water).

I really thought only the seasonal items were supposed to have been locked under the rule of having the latest expansion, but not any of the common items.

What are your thoughts on this?

Edited by Precigus.8145
  • Like 6
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

• Precigus.8145 changed the title to Wizard's Vault - Legendary weapon starter kit locked if you don't have the Janthir Wilds expansion
1 hour ago, OneLessMthToFeed.8192 said:

Heavy Crafting Bags are also blocked if you haven't purchased the new expansion??  Makes no sense as to how crafting bags relate to the new expansion.

They were locked unless you owned SotO too, they appear to be intended as a bonus for owning the latest expansion, like the armor pieces and weapon sets.

• Like 3

Why make these exclusive to the expansion? They're core Legendaries, including the Spear. I was already annoyed that I had to own SOTO for the previous ones, but now I'm locked out again until I buy the Janthir expansion. I'm not a fan of this at all. I have no interest in the expansion and I certainly wont be buying it just for the privilege of having access to precursors for core weapons.

On top of that, we now no longer have access to T6 material bags. Thanks ArenaNet.

Edited by Dark.1823
  • Like 6
  • Confused 7

39 minutes ago, Dark.1823 said:

Why make these exclusive to the expansion? They're core Legendaries, including the Spear. I was already annoyed that I had to own SOTO for the previous ones, but now I'm locked out again until I buy the Janthir expansion. I'm not a fan of this at all. I have no interest in the expansion and I certainly wont be buying it just for the privilege of having access to precursors for core weapons.

On top of that, we now no longer have access to T6 material bags. Thanks ArenaNet.

As you rightfully noted, they're core legendaries, so even if you don't buy the expansion... you're not locked out of getting those legendaries. Why are they bound to latest expansions? Because they want you to buy latest expansions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Dark.1823 said:

You don't get the kits but you can still make the Gen1 legendaries as per usual. It's a perk for those who buy the expansions. If you don't, you can do it the original way.

1 hour ago, Dark.1823 said:

As above and there are plenty of other ways to get T6 trophies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

As you rightfully noted, they're core legendaries, so even if you don't buy the expansion... you're not locked out of getting those legendaries. Why are they bound to latest expansions? Because they want you to buy latest expansions.

Exactly, the only purpose is to incentivize the purchase of the new expansion. In a way it is pay-to-gold as the legendary weapon starter kits are by far the best gold value in the exchange list.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

To those users saying "But this was the case with SOTO, you should expect that to continue" I can certainly appreciate that. I think that's entirely reasonable for Anet to place some rewards behind the latest expansion. However, I feel the past information on this is now coming across as misleading and in some ways as making false claims.

Per their previous published articles on the topic:

"Once one of your characters reaches level 80, the Wizard’s Vault UI will be accessible to all characters on your account, regardless of which expansions you own. If you do not have Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure registered on your account, some rewards will be locked, and you will be unable to visit the in-game location of the Wizard’s Vault. The system will be fundamentally the same for you otherwise"

Note however that the information does NOT say "if you have not unlocked the latest expansion, in this instance Secrets of the Obscure, some rewards will be locked."

Therefore this previously published statement may have been misleading and did not hint at existing rewards ever being locked in future to later expansions. If I was aware of this being the case, I would have considered this in my purchasing decisions.

• Like 4
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, LordMagus.3279 said:

To those users saying "But this was the case with SOTO, you should expect that to continue" I can certainly appreciate that. I think that's entirely reasonable for Anet to place some rewards behind the latest expansion. However, I feel the past information on this is now coming across as misleading and in some ways as making false claims.

"Once one of your characters reaches level 80, the Wizard’s Vault UI will be accessible to all characters on your account, regardless of which expansions you own. If you do not have Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure registered on your account, some rewards will be locked, and you will be unable to visit the in-game location of the Wizard’s Vault. The system will be fundamentally the same for you otherwise"

Note however that the information does NOT say "if you have not unlocked the latest expansion, in this instance Secrets of the Obscure, some rewards will be locked."

Therefore this previously published statement may have been misleading and did not hint at existing rewards ever being locked in future to later expansions. If I was aware of this being the case, I would have considered this in my purchasing decisions.

Yes, they just made a mention that you had to own SotO. Why rile up players with mention of future expansions locking out specific rewards?

Functionally it was very clear that certain rewards would remain locked behind owning the most recent expansions. The cosmetics moved to the legacy track, the remaining items were removed entirely. Any player tracking the difference between a non SotO account and a SotO unlocked account could easily see which rewards functioned how.

You are correct though, they did NOT specifically state that certain rewards are expansion locked. They did mention checking the wiki, and the wiki is up to date on what is needed in this regard.

So to summarize: for anyone to whom this was unclear, you now know how this system works. You can be displeased all you want, high demand items like legendary starter kits will remain locked behind most recent expansions, as will the cosmetics or things like the spear quest line.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3

Could they maybe add older ones to the shop in addition? Im a returning player, and I brought a new player with me. Im still trying to catch up on older expansions before I move on to new ones. This would allow us to feel like we are catching up a little , and enjoy things the vets have already done. It is a bit discouraging atm, to see locked content in the shop, it sorta makes me feel like " Buy the expansion now, or forever get left behind"

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

6 hours ago, LordMagus.3279 said:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/preview-the-new-wizards-vault-season-and-twitch-drops/

They talked about soto because soto was the latest expansion at the time. It was obvious the pattern will repeat when new expansions will be released. Why would they keep adding new rewards to soto when they're moving to a new expansion? Why would you think it's "buy soto and keep getting infinite legendary kits no matter what"? It was a starter kit per refresh/content release, the soto patch cycle ended and so did the refreshed soto rewards.

20 hours ago, Netrizhul.3429 said:

"incentivize the purchase of the new expansion" I don't know that. I got angry that they locked things you already unlocked. I don't think I'll be buying this expo.

I don't see how that makes much sense. You only don't get those rewards IF you don't buy the expansion in the first place. It's a bit weird to use that as the reasoning you won't be buying the expansion now.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Wel I need to agree with the OP since locking out old content to “incentivize” buying always the last expansion is from my point of view a very bad business decision. For me it creates doubt if they will lock me out from other current content when another expansion is coming around.

So I’m very unhappy/upset with this decision from Anet and this will further “motivate” me to not purchase any expansion upfront or maybe even ever since I don’t support locking already existing content behind new expansions. 
I have totally no objections to lock new content behind new expansions but not already existing stuff.

• Like 1
  • Confused 7

9 minutes ago, Shadowwarrior.7159 said:

Wel I need to agree with the OP since locking out old content to “incentivize” buying always the last expansion is from my point of view a very bad business decision. For me it creates doubt if they will lock me out from other current content when another expansion is coming around.

So I’m very unhappy/upset with this decision from Anet and this will further “motivate” me to not purchase any expansion upfront or maybe even ever since I don’t support locking already existing content behind new expansions. 
I have totally no objections to lock new content behind new expansions but not already existing stuff.

Old content isn't locked behind new expansions. Gen 1 legendaries aren't locked behind new expansions. It's rather the case of players getting paid back in items/gold for buying the latest expansion (and using AA). And you're still getting influenced by that even if you're not the one crafting those legendaries, because pretty sure legendaries featured in those kits go down in price on tp as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Old content isn't locked behind new expansions. Gen 1 legendaries aren't locked behind new expansions. It's rather the case of players getting paid back in items/gold for buying the latest expansion (and using AA). And you're still getting influenced by that even if you're not the one crafting those legendaries, because pretty sure legendaries featured in those kits go down in price on tp as well.

Well not the legendary weapon itself but this way of acquisition certainly is. So yes from my personal point of view these possible rewards/purchases are locked behind the new expansion.

let me ask a question - would you keep your opinion if I would say that your are locked out of the trading post when you don’t buy all expansions? I mean all the stuff on the trading post you can acquire via a different path as well?

Edited by Shadowwarrior.7159
Add another point/question.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 7

51 minutes ago, Shadowwarrior.7159 said:

if they will lock me out from other current content

Isn't this normal for all games everywhere? I mean, if I want to play all leaders and civs in Civilization 6, I have to buy the DLCs. If I want to play the latest in WoW or ESO or FFIV, don't I have to pay for that?

What the heck is people's aversion to paying for an expansion in this day when sooo many games have DLCs? It's just normal now? Heck, not even games. Buy a new CD, a while later they release the "enhanced version" with more songs on it. Sometimes, more than once.

$25 is lunch at fast food for me and my wife.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

I discovered that with my alt.

It's a pretty clear violation of every design principle Anet's expressed since their early days. But it pretty much comes down to just "T6 bags and Legendary starter kits are now locked behind a subscription fee." Sure. It's a small subscription fee. But it's effectively still a subscription fee. The very thing that Anet has so loudly talked about not having.

I guess it's something to add to the list of ways in which Anet has been degrading.

• Like 2
  • Confused 8