Option to set a player to follow instead of a guild

If we could set a player to follow instead of a WVW guild would solve my problems.  Then all those tiny guilds that don't care for them fat guilds could follow a friend.  I can totally imagine the issues with this (disingenuous players) but those issues probably already exist in the current system.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

35 minutes ago, siggy.9521 said:

If we could set a player to follow instead of a WVW guild would solve my problems.  Then all those tiny guilds that don't care for them fat guilds could follow a friend.  I can totally imagine the issues with this (disingenuous players) but those issues probably already exist in the current system.

Make a small guild with your friend.

Opening for following someone who might not want you to follow them in WvW is not a good solution for anyone.

16 minutes ago, One more for the road.8950 said:

Make a small guild with your friend.

Opening for following someone who might not want you to follow them in WvW is not a good solution for anyone.

That doesnt solve it.  Friend will follow another guild around and end up on a different server.  There could be a way to accept the follow request fix that problem.

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, siggy.9521 said:

That doesnt solve it.  Friend will follow another guild around and end up on a different server.  There could be a way to accept the follow request fix that problem.

Just absolutely no.

The ways that could be abused to circumvent cap on guilds/alliance guilds or following the most popular commanders around are too many.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, One more for the road.8950 said:

Just absolutely no.

The ways that could be abused to circumvent cap on guilds/alliance guilds or following the most popular commanders around are too many.

Yikes!  What are you doing in wvw lol.  Those guys will just join said guild or alliance of your popular commander thats already happening and working as intended.

• Confused 2

Isn’t deciding to follow someone into battle that you don’t normally follow the literal definition of an alliance?

But also the idea for OP would be an algorithm nightmare to let loose, completely broken. Everyone could just set themselves to follow teapot, ezpz. 

• Like 2

It's not a bad idea at all. Of course, there would be a danger if everyone started aligning themselves according to certain commanders. But if you limit it numerically, for example, a maximum of 20 individuals can follow one person.

The most uncomfortable in the current Wvw are solo gamers who have not wanted to join any Guild but at the same time want to belong somewhere. Having been a solo gamer myself for years in another game, I know the feeling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, siggy.9521 said:

Why not form a community guild of those smaller guilds? Some have already done the same. Not sure I see the difference here outside of ensuring shared leadership in the guild management. 

On 9/4/2024 at 5:02 AM, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Why not form a community guild of those smaller guilds? Some have already done the same. Not sure I see the difference here outside of ensuring shared leadership in the guild management. 

No I dont want to join some fat guild for the sake of this beta it isnt for me.  Also the problem is when one friend follows a guild, other friend follows another guild, now group is spread across multiple servers.   I have 3 accounts all wvw ready.  I'm not some try hard server spy.  I'm literally sitting next to wife on other PC cannot join her on any account.  I've been here since 2012 and suffered through the terrible decisions e.g. all maps desert and having crafting stations at spawn.  I beg a change here!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, siggy.9521 said:

No I dont want to join some fat guild for the sake of this beta it isnt for me.  Also the problem is when one friend follows a guild, other friend follows another guild, now group is spread across multiple servers.   I have 3 accounts all wvw ready.  I'm not some try hard server spy.  I'm literally sitting next to wife on other PC cannot join her on any account.  I've been here since 2012 and suffered through the terrible decisions e.g. all maps desert and having crafting stations at spawn.  I beg a change here!

Why does it have to be a fat guild? I have seen a number of Alliances that are made up of a few tiny guilds that want to stay sorted together. Why are you and your wife not in the same guild together? I get having friends in different guilds. I likewise get friends of friends aren't always friends. But that is the point in finding a no drama community guild used for just sorting and then players can rep what they want and still stay connected. 

On 9/3/2024 at 6:21 PM, TheIceman.1039 said:

It's not a bad idea at all. Of course, there would be a danger if everyone started aligning themselves according to certain commanders. But if you limit it numerically, for example, a maximum of 20 individuals can follow one person.

So we could have alliances theoretically up to 20 000 players. Yeah well, I dont think this is an option.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2024 at 3:17 AM, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Why are you and your wife not in the same guild together? I get having friends in different guilds. I likewise get friends of friends aren't always friends. But that is the point in finding a no drama community guild used for just sorting and then players can rep what they want and still stay connected. 

It isn't nearly that simple.  This was just an example I also have such guild membership just for alliance purpose, but then there are friends who follow other friends it gets convoluted pretty quickly.  Eventually a few guys are stuck out on their own.  At least in the previous system if I wanted to join a bandwagon server I had a choice and throw an alt into there.  

30 minutes ago, siggy.9521 said:

It isn't nearly that simple.  This was just an example I also have such guild membership just for alliance purpose, but then there are friends who follow other friends it gets convoluted pretty quickly.  Eventually a few guys are stuck out on their own.  At least in the previous system if I wanted to join a bandwagon server I had a choice and throw an alt into there.  

This kind of what I was getting at with my hotjoin topic that got confused bombed.  It would be nice to be able to join friends and whatnot no matter where they are, should not have to sign up to large community guild to facilitate that. 

And no, smaller guilds do not always work, as in my guild we have many members across different teams right now because not all of them want to set our guild to the WvW one and there was never a consensus to all join one battle guild.  

5 hours ago, siggy.9521 said:

As would the coding. So is this an alt issue where you want to make sure you have options? I hope you know that using bandwagon server you aren't helping your case but hurting it. Bandwagon was a factor leading into this issue that players were warned about.

5 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

It would be nice to be able to join friends and whatnot no matter where they are, should not have to sign up to large community guild to facilitate that. 

Why large? Its more, pick a side. Players not picking a side was what lead to this mess. Now where some of us were happy with our pubs, we are forced to resort. So no, form a comm guild or face the whirlwind that was created by players creating issues in balance that lead to the WR. Be active, or float. So group up and you won't have an issue. But no to tools that could be used to further impact sorts and more stacking.

• Like 1